I don't need you

"You know he cares about you"

A month of keeping Joe from Calvin away from each other has been tough, especially during moments when they have no choice but to be in the same room; and on occasions when Joe has tried to actually kill him. Keeping Calvin away from me has been even tougher when he appears at my side whenever Joe isn't near by, thankfully it's only ever been during times when other people have been around so he can't exactly do anything but whisper crude remarks in my ear. His latest being that he can't wait to see what I'm wearing to prom and that Joe should keep a close eye on me. It's this reason alone that i've made the last minute discussion not to go, which is a disappointment seeing as Joe spent so much time convincing me and taking me to buy a dress and everything.

"I don't wanna go without you, just get dressed and come on." Joe wined as he buttoned up his shirt.

"I told you I don't feel well." I lied crossing my legs as I sat on his bed watching him

"That's a lie and we both know it."

"Just go without me, have fun with your friends. I'll be here with your mum watching a movie."

"So in the future when your kids ask you how you spent your prom you're gonna say, I watched a movie with the mother of my extremely good looking friend Joe?"

"No because that would be lying. You're not that good looking." I smirked

Joe pulled a face at me briefly "If you weren't gonna go then why did we go shopping for a dress?" he sighed picking up the tuxedo jacket on the end of his bed

"You made me."

"Admit it, you like getting dressed up and making yourself look pretty." he teased

"Are you saying I don't look pretty anyway?"

"You're.... eh" he shrugged, I gasped throwing a pillow at him, dodging it he laughed while tucking in his shirt and walking to the wardrobe. "I'll take it back, if..... you put this on for me." he smiled pulling out the dress I had got for prom.

"I hid that!" I gasped shocked that he had found it.

"Did you really think that I wouldn't look under the bed?" he asked in disbelief

"It was in a bag, in a box and put right in the corner and-"

"And behind another two boxes, yea I know it took me three hours of hunting in the room to find it." he said throwing it onto the bed

"Yea well put it back because I'm not wearing it."

"Why are you doing this to me Erica? After all I did to help you this past month keeping Calvin from you-"

"You tried to run him over... twice."

"Has he been near you? Nope."

I sighed, standing up I pick up the dress "I'm not going. Sorry Joe, but no."

Turning to leave Joe took hold of my hand "Is there something you're not telling me?" he asked studying my face

"No. Of course not."

"So why don't you wanna go. Why do you really not want to go?"

"I'm just not in the mood. But don't let me stop you, so finish getting dressed."

****

Sitting in the living room with Joe's mum Denise I stare blankly at the movie playing on the tv. Joe left a while ago after I forced him to leave and even made a few threats that i'm not entirely proud of if he comes back early.
"You want to go don't you?" I heard Denise's voice from next to me

"What gave you that idea?" I asked looking at her.

"I can tell.... You know it's only been half an hour, you still have time to get ready."

"I don't want to-"

"Yes you do, and you need to ignore whatever it is that's stopping you. Don't tell Joe I mentioned this but he was really looking forward to taking you to prom. He said he was glad that he was going to make your last moments of school happy ones." she smiled reaching out and lightly patting my hand

"I'm sure he's having fun without me."

"Why are you so sure of that? You know he cares about you, we all do. If we didn't you wouldn't be living in our guest room." she laughed lightly
I look down at my hands not really sure of what to say. I suddenly feel Denise's hand take hold of mine "Come on, i'll help you get ready."

**

I clutch onto the side of my dress nervously as I enter the overly decorated gym.... I say overly decorated but in all honesty it's actually really pretty. I scan the room trying to locate Joe but I have no luck, so I make my way over to get a drink to help calm my nerves.
Picking up a cup and filling it with punch I drink it in one go, I jump feeling a pair of hands land on my waist. Please don't be Calvin, please don't be Calvin, please don't-
"Thank you for coming." Joe's voice calmly whispered into my ear sending a shiver down my spin. I turn around to face him and he gives me a hug.

"No problem.... you have your mother to thank." I said hugging him back then pulling away

"She worked her magic on you then?" he laughed

"Well if i'm honest it didn't take that long." I said putting the empty plastic cup back on the table

"Well... do you wanna dance?" Joe asked gesturing to the crowded dance floor

"I just got here, do you mind if I sit down for a bit?"

"Of course not. Come on, you can sit next to me."
♠ ♠ ♠
Right so I was going to have a bit more before prom but I decided it would make the story drag on too much so that's why there is a jump forward. I went over this really quickly so i'm sorry if there are any typos.

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=20604429 Erica's Dress