I don't need you

You can't miss what you never had

Sitting in my usual spot after school, I stared out onto the ocean throwing small stones over the edge of the cliff. It wasn't long after getting here that I started to cry again, but at least I know no one is going to see. This is the only place I can really show my emotions without having to worry about what might happen.

"Looks like you could do with a tissue" Looking up I was surprised to see Joe standing next to me holding out a tissue
"What are you going here?" I muttered roughly running my hand over my cheek
"I followed you and spent the last 10 minutes deciding wether to come over or not." he sighed then sat down "Are you going to take the tissue or not?" he waved it in front of me for a few seconds so I snatched it out of his hands. "What do you do out here anyway?" he asked leaning back onto his elbows and stretching his legs out
"This is where I come to think, if thats ok with you." I rudely answered
"Look, your not getting rid of me ok. You can be as mean as you want but I'm not going anywhere until I find out what's going on with you." he lightly nudged me with his shoulder so I shifted a little further away from him
"Well your going to be waiting a long time, because it's none of your business."
"Sooner or later your going to realize that I'm the closest thing you've got to a friend, and your going to tell me." looking back at him I could see a smirk making it's way onto his face, I really can't understand where this idea that we're friends cam from. He's not my friend and he's never going to be.
"I wouldn't talk to my friends even if I had any."
"Have you ever thought maybe that's why you don't have any?" he crossed his legs and moved closer to me, his knee was almost touching mine. Could he be any closer to me, has he ever heard of personal space.
"Listen. Friends don't stick around, maybe you haven't realized that yet but I have. I'm just saving people the trouble of pretending like they care about my problems. I can look after myself, I don't need you or anybody else trying to control my life." I shouted now that I'm frustrated at him.
"I'm not trying to control your life, I'm trying to get you out of this seclusion you've put yourself into."
"I like my seclusion, I like blocking myself from the world. At least then I don't have to put up with all the crap it throws at you."
"Your also blocking yourself away from all the good thing the world has to offer."
"You can't miss what you never had."
Joe stood up and dusted himself off. I guess I've finally made him realize it's a waste of time trying to help me.
"Are you coming or not?" my head snapped up as he stuck his hand out for me to take, I just stared at him in shock. What am I supposed to say, if I tell him to leave he stays and if I tell him to stay he'll think we're friends. I can't win!! "Come on, I'm taking you home." he smiled while bending down and holding my hand even though I haven't offered it to him.
"Stand up." He laughed lightly pulled my arm, I reluctantly stood up and quickly let go of his hand and shoved mine in my coat pocket just incase he's planning on holding them again.
"You know I can walk." I said as he directed me to where he had parked his car
"I know, but this is what I like to call making a nice gesture."

**

"You can stop right here." I muttered as Joe turned the corner and onto my street
"I thought your house was on the end."
"It is but I want to walk from here." I insisted
"Erica it's only going to take 10 seconds." he laughed
"I said I want to walk from here." I raised my voice trying to not shout again
"Ok, ok. There's no need to yell." he slowed down the car and stopped so I could get out.
"Thank you." I quickly unbuckled my seatbelt and jumped out
"If you want I can give you a ride to school tomorrow morning" Joe said before I could close the door
"I don't need a ride."
"I can park around the corner."
"Joe, don't pick me up. You shouldn't have even dropped me off." I tapped my hand on the edge of the door and looked at Joe as he stared at me like he wants to say something. Maybe I should just close the door
"Do you not want me to see your house of something?" he sighed
"Goodbye Joe"

******

"Move." looking up I saw Allen standing over me holding onto a bottle of beer, I guess its drinking time. Throwing the tv remote across the seat I stood up, pushing passed him as I left. Going upstairs I went into my room slamming the door behind me. As I sat on my bed I looked around then spotted my phone, picking it up I began scanning the short contact list. I don't even no why I still have these numbers I haven't spoken to any of these people in over a year.
When I reached Joe's name my finger hovered over the call button, I should call him right? I mean it's not like I have anything better to do, but then again he's got better things to do then talk to me. But if I call him he'll think its because I like him....... Screw it, I'm calling.
Waiting for him to answer I noticed my leg shaking nervously, why am I nervous?

"Hello" hearing his voice I panicked and hung up. Oh my god, I'm such a wuss. My phone started ringing making me jump slightly, looking at the screen my eyes widened when I saw Joe's name. Maybe I should have thought this through..... ok here we go
"Hello" I answered as I pressed the phone to my ear
"Erica did you call me?"
"No, why would I call you" I lightly laughed then slapped my palm on my forehead
"You tell me... your name was on my caller ID."
"Oh right, that.... that was by accident, yea. I called you by mistake." That was easy, I should lie more often
"Really, so you didn't call me because you just wanted to talk, it's ok if you did."
Great why did he have to know I called him, I blame caller ID. Hold on- "How did you get my number?" I asked suddenly only now noticing that he was talking while I had realized that he must have my number for my name to appear on his phone.
"You called me and I called you back."
"No, you said my name was on your caller ID, my name would only show up if you already had it."
"Oh right, well.... ok so maybe while you were passed out during the party I went through your phone and got your number."
"Every time I start to change my opinion of you, you manage to end up back at the start again." Hanging up I tossed my phone across the mattress and dropped backwards so my head was on my pillow.