I don't need you

This doesn't mean we're friends

Lifting up my t-shirt I looked at the large bruise that had already formed across the bottom of my ribs. Where am I supposed to go now I cant go back home, at least not until Allen's calmed down. God knows how long that will be, the only option I have is to stay here and hope I don't freeze to death. At least there's a view.... well for the next half hour anyway, I rarely ever stay out and watch the sunset. I almost forgot how nice it is.

I don't know why but I cant help but think about Joe, which is insane because he's the last thing I want to think about. All he's done is make my life a misery, it's he's fault I'm here right now. If he listened to me and didn't go to my house Allen wouldn't have gone all 'who are your trying to impress' and- Oh who am I kidding this isn't Joe's fault, it's mine. He tried to help me and I yelled at him, but in all fairness I don't really need his help. I can look after myself, i've been doing it for what feels like forever.

*****

I need to do this, knock on the door and tell him you need his help. Just say your sorry and you need his help. But what if he just laughs in my face and says I told you so..... ok if he does that I'll beat the crap out of him.

Knocking on the door I took a deep breath still trying to ignore the pain in my stomach. As the door opened I lifted my head and looked at the woman I recognize as Joe's mum while she stood in the doorway.
"Can I help you?" she smiled
"I'm looking for Joe, is he here?" I asked trying not to sound desperate
"Do we know each other, I recognize you." she tilted her head slightly
"Er... yea I worked at the bookstore you went to about a week ago."
"Oh yes that's right. Well wait right there I'll just get Joe for you."
"Thank you." I half smiled.

Why am I here again? This is stupid, I should just leave before anyone comes back.
"Erica? What are you doing here?" Joe asked as he appeared in front of me, I guess it's too late to run away now.
"I- I wanted to apologize, for yelling at you at school and for kneeing you in the crotch when you tried to stop me from leaving."
"Right, is that it?"
"No, not exactly..... well I need- something happened and-" I stop as I felt my bottom lip quivering a little and took a deep breath
"Are you ok? What happened?"
"You know my stepdad? He- well he- It doesn't matter. The point is, and as much as I hate to admit it.....I don't have anywhere else to go and I really need your help." I wiped my palm over my cheek as I felt a tear sliding down my face.
"Come inside." Joe opened the door wider, I stepped into the house and waited for him to close the door "What happened?" he asked again
"Lets just say we don't get along, and he's- he got violent. Well he's always violent but this time it got really bad and-"
"Can you wait there for 1 second?" Joe stopped me before going into the living room and leaving me in the hall way.

He's probably gonna tell his parents that I'm crazy and ask me to leave, I shouldn't have even come here. Why would he want to help me after I treated him like crap, the last thing he needs is to sort out my problems. This is ridiculous I need to get out of here. I turned to face the front door and quickly looked back when I heard Joe coming back
"I sorry I came, I'm just gonna go." I said stepping backwards
"Where're you gonna go Erica? Don't be stupid, come on." he took my hand and walked me up the stairs.
"Where are you taking me?" I asked as I followed him
"I told my parents that you had an argument at home and that you needed a place to stay for the night."
"Are they ok with that?"
"They're fine with that, don't worry." he lightly laughed as he reached to top "You can stay in the guest room." He let go of my hand and opened the door to what I'm assuming is the guest room
"You don't have to do this."
"I know, but I want to. I meant what I said about wanting to help you, even after you yelled at me, and kneed me in the crotch .... Go in, make yourself comfortable. I'll be back in a second."
"Oh, ok."
Going inside the room I looked around and slowly sat on the bed, this is something I never would have expected to happen. I just thought he's ask me a load of questions give me some advice then i'd leave, I didn't think he'd actually offer me a room in his house for the night. But then again he was nice enough to put me in his bed when I got drunk and passed out.
Hearing a light cough behind me I looked back and saw Joe standing in the doorway
"Got you a shirt to sleep in." he handed me the shirt and I took it nervously
"Thanks but I can't." I sighed putting it down on the mattress
"If you don't want to wear one of my shirts just say so, I can find something else."
Oh shit, I've offended him. I didn't mean it the way it sounded, I'm not good at this. Everything I say sounds horrible.
"No it's not that, it's just...... I can't lift my arms to take off my t-shirt, it's hurts..... a lot." I explained
"Oh right ok, erm...... don't take this the wrong way, I'm not coming on to you but do you want me to- you know."
I looked at him confused, what's he tal- oh he means he wants to help me undress... right well that's gonna be awkward, but I don't really want to sleep in my jeans.
"Erm.... well, I guess that'll be ok.... But keep your eyes up."
"Oh yea, of course." he assured me before closing the door and stepping towards me as I stood up.

Wow, this is weird. He's staring at me and his hands are almost touching me.
"Erica, your gonna have to lift your arms for like a second." he said quietly, he's probably finding this as awkward as I am. I nodded and managed to lift my arm about half way before feeling any kind of pain. Joe slowly pulled my t-shirt over my head and off my arms. "There you go." he half smiled
"Thanks." I muttered taking my top from his hands then looking on the floor, why isn't he leaving? Surely he should be going now right?

Looking back up at him I noticed that his eyes are on my stomach..... the bruise on my ribs to be exact. I quickly covered myself up with my t-shirt "It's nothing" I whispered trying to sound normal
"That doesn't look like nothing Erica, you have to get that looked at." his eyes snapped up to look at mine.
"Joe trust me it's fine, I think i'd know the difference between a bruise and anything worse." I assured him
"How often does this happen to you?" he asked quickly
"If I'm being honest Joe, I really don't want to talk about it."
He ran his hand over his face "Can I see it?" he asked

Hesitating at first especially since I don't really want him getting involved I slowly moved my t-shirt out the way.
He looks even more shocked then before and I'm started to feel uncomfortable about Joe staring at me the way he is, my breathing stopped when his hand went on my stomach "Did I hurt you?" he asked glancing at me then back at the bruise again.
"No, but i'd feel more comfortable if you were staring at my breasts." I laughed trying to lighten the mood
"I'm sorry, I just can't believe that someone would do that. Are you sure you don't want to go to the hospital or something."
"No really i'm fine, besides it would just create more trouble then it's worth."

"Ok, well i'll let you change. If you want anything to eat help yourself, and if you need me i'll be in my room." he sighed as he stepped away from me and towards the door
"Thanks Joe.... but I hope you understand this doesn't mean we're friends."
"It never does." he half smiled as he opened the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you like the update, let me know what you think of the story so far.