Status: Completed

The Special Two

Don't Do It in the First Place

Two weeks.

That's fourteen days.

336 hours.

That's 20,160 minutes.

1,209,600 seconds.

That's how long it's been since I've seen him. Not a second has gone by that I haven't thought about him. I had gotten past wondering if he was safe or if he was thinking of me. I knew he was alive because I was. I knew he wasn't hurt because my heart didn't feel like it got hit with a pile of bricks. He needed to think about catching her, not me.

I had had a few visitors in the past weeks. Mostly Seth and Leah, but occasionally Paul would stop by for an awkward conversation. I wondered about that one for a bit. But then I remembered that all of them, even here, are phasing back and forth and when they phase they hear each other’s thoughts. Apparently one wolf has been telling the others to watch out for me.

It brought a smile to my red lips. I fussed with my dark curls in the mirror before decided to simply pin them back in a loose twenties style. A simple red dress and cream pumps complimented my tan skin. I threw a matching cream jacket over my shoulders and grabbed my purse.

I drove to the restaurant, following specific instructions left for me by Leah. Although it wasn't my fiery tempered friend that I was meeting at Pax, it was the woman who made her that way.

I had not problem with Emily personally. My heart went out to her a little because she didn't ask for it and she shouldn't be upset by what was out of her control. So my car rolled into the parking spot with ease and my mind was open. I had never spent time with Emily before, and I was intrigued as to why she asked me there.

When I entered the restaurant the heat and alluring smell of food hit me immediately. I sighed, it smelt so much better than the microwavable crap I had been eating lately. Emily waved me over enthusiastically, and my long legs carried me over to her. Her hair was done in a simple braid and her skin was beautifully complimented by a green dress. Everyone who was born here had such similar styles. It was nice to see someone who showed influence from other towns.

"Clara," She greeted with a simple smile, "How are you?"

I slid into my seat and looked into the eyes of a woman who seemed to have all the answers. "I'm doing much better, Emily. How are you?"

"I'm wonderful." She said with a bite of excitement that seemed to have slipped out unintentionally. "Better than wonderful actually. I feel like I'm glowing."

I was about to comment but the waiter interrupted. He was about my age with blonde hair that was styled messy despite his formal clothing. "Good evening ladies, I'm Evan and I will be your server this evening. May I start you off with something to drink?"

"I'll have a Diet Coke, thanks." Emily scanned the wine menu before she looked up and shook her head.

"A water for me, thank you."

The waiter nodded and walked away, I raised an eyebrow at Emily. "Every time I've seen you at a restaurant you always order one glass of white wine."

"I'm afraid I'm becoming an alcoholic, I need to break my addiction." She stated with a shrug and glanced over the menu.

I decided to leave the matter where it was and look over the menu myself. My eyes were bulging out at the prices. I definitely did not make this kind of money. Hell I'm a college student, I don't make any money.

"How are things at Mrs. Oak's bakery?" She asked over her red menu.

I placed my menu down and rested my chin on my palm, "Things are well. I just did a cake for a baby shower a few days ago. It was really sweet, the mother to be wanted it green because they didn't want to know the sex. I put little socks around the edges."

Emily's face brightened. "That sounds lovely."

"I think the client liked it. I'm excited to be making cakes on my own instead of having Mrs. Oak leaning over my shoulder. I'm still a little iffy when it comes to creating objects out of the fondant but I'm getting better." My smile felt foreign in on my face, but a good foreign.

The waiter came back a few minutes later and took our orders. I got the steak even though the price made me want to faint, I knew I wouldn't eat it all and I could eat off the left overs for a week. Emily ordered the salmon.

The food was delivered soon after and I my mouth started to salivate at the smell. I was honestly trying to focus on the conversation between Emily and I, but all my mind was thinking was food.

"So, do you think you could make me a cake sometime? How much do they usually cost?" She asked in between large bites of salmon.

I sipped my drink, "Of course I can Emily. No charge. I have everything I need at home and I have a strict no friends pay policy. What were you thinking?"

She took another bite of her salmon, "Sam and I had talked about a strawberry cake with light pink frosting."

"That'd be easy. What's the occasion?" I asked casually while my mind began to put the cake together.

"Well...that's actually what I asked you here for." She stated with a small blush. "I'm sure you've realized my weight gain lately."

"Not at all." I stated honestly, Emily's worrying was ridiculous.

She laughed, "Well I have! I've been trying to cover it up with loose clothes."

"You look great Emily."

Her face caught the light just then, and I noticed a certain glow about her. Oh my God...

"Clara, I'm pregnant."

I nearly choked on the steak that I was eating but managed to swallow it. "Wow, congratulations!"

"Thank you. Sam and I have told family and friends, but we've tried to keep it from the pack as long as possible."

"Why?"

"Sam said they needed to focus on finding Alina. Lucky for me I've been able to stay at home for most the time so no one's really noticed."

I smiled softly at Emily who sat excitedly in her seat. She'd be a great mom. "How far along are you?"

"Five months." She replied and bit into her salmon, "I'm really starting to show. Sam and decided it was safe to tell everyone."

"I'm so happy for you." I squealed. "So tell me, what exactly were you picturing for your cake?"

I drove home with a small smile. It was raining again, the small droplets hit my car and scattered like small diamonds. Emily and Sam were going to be fantastic parents, and to a little girl nonetheless. Sam was going to spoil her rotten.

My hair was washed and I put on my comfiest pair of sweatpants I could find. The popcorn was popped and the romantic comedies were lined up in order of sappiness. It was going to be a glorious night.

I was popping around the kitchen when the landline rang. I danced over to it, and pressed answer and plopped down on the couch.

"Hello?"

"Clara? Oh thank God."

My heart melted at the sound of the only voice that made me want to scream and laugh at the same time. It was wolfish and rough. I muted the TV, "Jake." I stated, breathless.

"Hey beautiful."

My breath hitched in my throat. "I've been gone for two weeks and now you choose to be speechless?"

I laughed, "I miss you. I'm just shocked that we're actually talking. Where are you? Are you okay? You would not believe what I just found out, well actually you might actually know already. When are you coming home?"

His barking laughter came from the other end of the line, "There's the girl I love. We're in some small town in Indiana. The snow's everywhere here. I'm fine babe, I've got a few scratches but it's nothing. Sam was so relieved to find out she's having a girl. He doesn't want to put another person through this. I might be home by Christmas, maybe New Years. Alina's strong even though she's hurt."

"Thank God you're alright." The breath that I had held for what felt like weeks was finally released in a heavy sigh. "New Years isn't so bad." I mumbled.

"You suck at hiding your feelings."

"Only around you." A sad smile found it's way on my lips. I ran my hand threw my hair and bit my lip. "But seriously, I can last two more weeks just fine. It's good to have some alone time."

"Clara, don't lie to me."

I sighed and pulled my knees to my chest. "I'm sor-"

"Damn, I have to go. One of the guys just caught her scent. I love you Clara, I'll be home soon. I promise."

"I love you too Jake. Be safe."

Cause baby all I want for Christmas is you.
♠ ♠ ♠
A big THANK YOU to:
winddancerx17
XOXloveangelXOX
BubbleGumDrop
kaylababee143