Utopia

Instincts

"Some thing's wrong." The three roommates all felt it at the same time. Fear and pain. They didn't hesitate. They pushed each other each trying to get out of the door first. If the halls had been wide enough, they would have spread their wings and flown. Instead, they had to wait until they came to the end of the hall. One after the other they threw themselves through the window, unfurling their wings in a bright rain of glass in the light of the rising sun. Their eyes were trained on the window filling with smoke. Stephen went crashing through the window first. Smoke and fire surrounding him, filling his lungs. He trained his thoughts towards the faucets in the bathroom just beyond a closed door in their room and felt the water build up until it came flooding out and filling the room.

Behind him he could hear Magnus and Theo grabbing their own charges and pulling them out of the room. Stephen was looking through the flames trying to see where they died last. That was where he would find his charge. The poor girl, the sooner she learned to control her power, the better off that she and everyone else would be. First, he had to find her and protect her from herself. He spotted her through the flames and launched himself at her, wrapping his arms around her as the water killed the last of the flames. "Don't scare me like that," he begged holding her tightly.

The water began receding, but Stephen ignored the fact that he had lost control over it. His charge was safe and that was all that mattered to him. He could breath a little easier now. He rested his head against the wall behind him and sighed. "You're going to be the death of me woman," he muttered under his breath.

"Katrina!" The angel's voice called making Stephen look around with wild eyes. Erin de Mont, headmistress of the Academy came into the room with a slightly frantic look on her face until she saw Stephen holding the teenage girl. She sighed with relief and leaned back just in time to be caught by her husband and Guardian Angel.

"What happened?" Raven snapped, eyes lighting on Stephen and demanding a report.

Stephen opened his mouth to reply only to have Katrina speak first. "I-I'm sorry. I didn't mean to," she spoke softly.

Erin shook her head standing up straight and coming forward. "It's not your fault darling. It happens to all of us in some way. I nearly stole away all my oxygen the first time I started using my magic."

"Nearly gave me a heart attack too," Raven muttered crossing his arms over his chest.

Erin smiled and stroked the girl's hair. "You'll learn how to control this Katrina. Trust me. One of my roommates was a fire sorceress when I was student. It might take you some time, but you have to have faith in yourself. We have faith in you."

Raven sighed and racked a hand through his dark hair before pinning Stephen with a dark look. "Report to my office after you seen your charge to the infirmary."
♠ ♠ ♠
Scary! But fun we hope! Comments? Subscriptions? Both?!?!