Utopia

Captive

He groaned, as he began to wake up. His head was pounding and one eye wouldn't open as a result of his earlier fight. To be honest, Alex had never felt so miserable, and yet he knew that he was lucky just to still be breathing. Even if the air he was breathing was stale and musty.

Judging by his surroundings, Alex would guess he was in a basement of some sort. Boxes were piled up to the ceiling and a thick coat of dust covered everything. There was a drip coming steadily from one of the pipes in a far corner.

He ran his tongue over his dry lips, trying to think. There had to be some way out of this. Actually physically getting up and walking away was out of the question, his feet were tied tightly together, and his arms were firmly attached to a hook sticking out at an odd angle from the wall just above his head. Magic was his only option.

He could probably use the Paths of the Dead, a form of teleporting used by Necros, to get back to the Academy where Erin could help him out of his bonds, but the Paths were dangerous, and he wasn't sure if he should attempt them in such a weakened state. His best bet would be to wait, but the problem with that was if he waited too long, it could be too late. The people holding him hostage, could tire of his presence and kill him before he could summon the courage to try it. He was convinced that they already would have if Willa hadn't been there to stop them.

No, he didn't have time to wait, not if he wanted to live.

He closed his eyes and focused hard, thinking intently of the Academy and searching for the quickest way to get there. Pain wracked his body, starting at the nape of his neck, and working it's way all throughout him. He writhed on the floor, willing it silently to stop. Tears stung at his eyes and a loud cry of protest escaped his lips. He knew instantly that making noise was a mistake, as he heard footsteps rushing towards him, but the outburst hadn't been voluntary.

Soon the door flew open, the bright light from the room on the other side, burned his open eye, causing him to be blinded. He flinched back, cowering in a corner. Not the sort of thing he would have liked to do in such a situation, but courage had never been Alex's strong point.

Laughter was heard. Cold and malicious, clearly mocking him. "Look at your little friend now, Willa. Trying to escape, then hiding from the consequences. I don't see why you wouldn't let us kill him to begin with."

Alex didn't dare look up. Willa was in the the room, and it was bad enough that she had to see him this way, he didn't want to see her expression. He didn't want her pity. Alex hated to be pitied. It had happened to him all his life. His entire life was a mixture of hatred and pity, never anything else.

After a few moments of awkwardness, them saying harsh things about him, and him never answering never looking up, they must have finally gotten bored. There footsteps retreated and soon the harsh light was out of his face.

He relaxed as much as he could. For the first time since they had come in, he looked up. Willa was still standing there. Her face was tear stained, and her hair was disheveled. She didn't look anything like the beautiful girl he had met at the cafe just yesterday.

Slowly, hesitantly, she walked towards him. Each step was careful, as if she were afraid he would reject her. Finally she reached his side and dropped down on the cold floor beside him.

"I'm sorry." he whispered it to her, not even sure if she could hear him, but still saying it anyway. "I'm sorry that I had to go and ruin things for you." he wasn't sure why he was the one apologizing, it had been her family that locked him up, but something about her presence made him feel obligated to. It was quite clear from her appearance that she was taking this just as badly, if not worse, than he was.

"Don't." Her words were harsh, and curt. Not her usual. "This is my fault not yours. I approached you. I started this all."

"You may have approached me, but I am the one who walked away and then tried to come back later. If I would have just answered your question in the stupid cafe we wouldn't be in this."

She looked at him incredulously. "If I hadn't asked the stupid question, you would be back home where you belong. My curiosity now has us both in a horrible situation."

"Don't worry about it, Willa. We'll get out of this, I promise." He wasn't sure why but he suddenly felt responsible for this girl. He wanted to protect her at all costs.

"How can you know?"

He laughed softly. "I've been in pretty bad situations before. Everything always works out eventually."

He just hoped that what he was saying was true...
♠ ♠ ♠
hey. Sorry about the wait. Life has been pretty darn hectic.

I dunno if you guys have noticed, but we now have 5 subscribers. 5!!! And with 5 subscribers, why do we only have 3 comments, all from the same person???

Comments=love