Utopia

Gone

She was rushing, trying to get quickly from her favorite spot for meditation to her dorm. The light was fading fast and she wasn't quite sure if she would be able to make her way back in the dark, yet. She wasn't really willing to find out, either.

As she neared the dorm buildings, Trina noticed something odd. There seemed to be a huge group assembled in a circle around something she couldn't see. Trina, being curious as always, decided to redirect her course. Her curiosity was killing her and she just had to know what was so fascinating.

There was loud noises, shouting, coming from the center of the circle.

"...if your life was worth anything to begin with!" She only caught the end of that sentence, but the meaning and the hatred in it didn't escape her notice. Who would say such a thing? And to whom?

"You really think that, Raven? Well, that may be so, but at least I am not a murderer." This voice was just as venomous as the first. Trina shivered slightly, but continued to push her way to the front.

She finally arrived, and what she saw there shocked her. In the center of the circle, formed by other students observing in shocked silence, stood Raven. His back was to her, but she could tell by his stiff posture that he was angry. Opposite him, was a boy she vaguely remembered seeing around the campus. He was kneeling on the muddy ground, craddling the head of a sleeping girl.

Trina gasped. She could tell by the sudden tingling feeling in her spine that the girl was different. She was a witch. Trina wasn't sure how she knew that, but she did.

Raven just sighed. He began to draw deep breaths, focusing all his energy on the two in the center. Trina knew instantly what he was going to do. He was going to kill them. Something in her was telling her to just stand back, not to get in the way; it wasn't any of her business, anyway.

But Trina had never been one to just stand back and watch things happen.

"Raven!" she screamed. He didn't even glance in her direction, entirely too focused on the task at hand. Darkness began to engulf the boy. His expression remained angry, but his eyes were full of fear. That look in itself, was what convinced Trina to do what she did next.

She leapt up, propelling herself in between Raven and the strange boy. Her hand just barely brushed his shoulder. She tried to gasp, breathe, something. It felt as if all the oxygen had been forcefully taken from her. Her lungs felt compressed.

"Trina!" She heard Stephen shout.

But it was too late. Trina, the boy and the unconscious girl were gone. Trina had just used the Paths of the Dead for the first time.