Utopia

Separation Desperation

He felt it the moment that Katrina slipped through the Paths of the Dead. It hurt. A physical pain in his heart as he clutched at his chest. It hurt to breath. He knew that she probably wasn't feeling this pain. It was just him. The need to fulfill his duty and the inability to do it for whatever reason. He had to find Katrina. He had to find her and protect her no matter what. His eyes narrowed at Raven, his face twisted in a snarl. He hadn't been about to stop Raven, but he couldn't condone what had just happened either. "If she's hurt...I blame you," he promised softly.

White wings erupted from Stephen's back before he launched himself into the air. It was only moments before he could feel her again. So faint. So far away. It was only a pity that he would have to fly and couldn't travel in a faster fashion. He would have to live with that though. As long as he could get to Katrina and protect her, then he would be content again. With every beat of his wings, he could feel the beat of her heart grow stronger. It wasn't fast enough though. He didn't know how long he was going to have to fly to find them. Even when he did find them, what was he going to do? By all right, he should take them all back to the academy. Especially the witch. He couldn't allow Raven to kill her though. That would obviously end in devastation.

There was always the council though...

He shook his head. He didn't know the council or what they would do. Better to not leave things like that to chance. Especially where Katrina was concerned. It would be better for him to find her and then make plans and preparations from there. Safer too. Part of his motives were honestly selfish. He was afraid to face Raven. He was afraid to face the council. He just wanted Katrina back. He wanted to prove that he could keep her safe even when, at the moment, it seemed as if he couldn't get even close to that kind of "skill". The sun began to set and Stephen hissed in frustration. He couldn't fly at night. As much as he wanted to. As much as he could feel Katrina's heart beat calling to him, flying at night was too dangerous.

Stephen landed in a grove and bowed his head. He wanted to throw back his head and roar out his frustration and rage. He would have to wait though. He needed to prepare for his night of rest in the open. "Be safe," he pleaded to the night sky. He didn't know what he'd do if something happened to his little charge. He'd never forgive himself.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments? Subcriptions? BOTH?!?!

And thanks to our two comments: ItNeverBegan and thcheersou