Utopia

Why?

Trina was scared, terrified, more scared even than she had been during the fire. She didn't like anything about her current situation, and, to make things worse, she knew she wouldn't be getting out of it any time soon, if she did at all.

The boy, the necro who had kidnapped her, was just sitting there, watching her, staring. He never said a word, he just continued staring, cradling the head of the still sleeping girl.

She had no idea where they were, either, she knew she did not like the haunting look of the trees looming over them. As the sunlight was quickly fading, their shadows grew, casting them into almost total darkness.

"Why?" The word made her jump. After sitting there, silently for nearly an hour, she hadn't expected him to speak to her.

She wanted her response to be rude, clever, something that would relay to him her unhappiness with him, but sadly all she could manage was a whisper. "Why what?"

"Why would you risk your own life like that to save a necro and a witch?" his voice shook, but Trina wasn't sure with what emotion. It could have been anger or sorrow, she couldn't tell. She just knew it was there.

She sighed. "I'm not entirely sure. Something came over me, I suppose. I just knew I couldn't stay back and watch Raven kill you. That would have been just as bad as having your blood on my own hands." It was her turn to stare at him, carefully avoiding looking directly into his eyes as she had been taught, waiting for some sort of response.

Several moments passed and none came.

Another few moments, and she couldn't take it any more. "Why did you kidnap me?" It didn't sound harsh, or reproachful like it would have a few moments ago, as she was already feeling closer to this boy.

"I had no choice. I know how Raven's mind works, trust me on that. If Willa and I had escaped because of your interference he would have carried out what he was going to do... on you. I wouldn't be able to stand the thought of your blood on my hands."

"You mean, Raven would have killed me?"

"Yes. And your little angel friend too if he didn't escape in time."

"Stephen?" Trina was scared now. What if Stephen hadn't gotten away? He could be dead somewhere and she'd never even know. Then another thought occurred to her. "So, I can't go back to the Academy... ever?"

The boy hung his head. "Never."

Trina couldn't help it. Tears began to flood her eyes. She had just begun to consider that place home, and now she could never return.

"Please, don't cry." The boy whispered to her. "Please." He looked confused, as if he wasn't used to seeing people in this state. Which, now that she thought about it, he probably hadn't. People weren't exactly likely to open up to a necro.

Well, she decided, she was going to change that.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry! Life has been hectic.

Comments? Subscriptions? Something?