Utopia

Instinct

Alex could vaguely make out the sounds of the other three talking around him, they were getting to know each other. Becoming friends. Alex knew that he should try, too, but something inside him was screaming at him to pay attention to the world around him, not the people. Every instinct in his body was screaming at him to be prepared to run.

After years of living among people who would rather see him dead, Alex knew better than to doubt his instincts.

He came to a halt in the middle of the path. Eyes closed, searching frantically with his mind, trying to locate some alien presence that could mean harm. He sensed the others stop, too. He knew they didn't stop because they could sense it, but merely because he had stopped.

There was gentle pressure on his arm. "Alex?" Willa was concerned. She worried about him too much, he knew. It wasn't good for her.

"I'm fine, Willa. But we might not be for long. Something is coming, and it's getting closer every second." That last part was directed at Stephen, for he knew the angel would want to know in time to rescue Katrina. Alex watched as the angel gently lifted his sorceress off the ground, wings tensing for flight. He, in turn, felt his arms tighten around Willa's very still body.

"How long has this thing been following us?" Trina didn't sound scared, just mildly curious, but Alex could see the fear in her eyes. She didn't want to face Raven or Willa's uncle any more than the rest of them, maybe even less since she had only been a member of their dangerous world for a short time.

"Not long, but long enough to know it is not a coincidence."

Stephen was glaring had him, he knew it before he ever looked up. "When were you going to tell us this?" He snapped, voice sounding cold.

Alex, who had never had good control of his temper, lost it then, too. "I told you now, didn't I? I didn't have to do that at all!" He would have continued ranting, probably for hours, had Willa not interrupted them.

"You two swore you could work together. So do it. We will never survive this if we can't get along with each other! We should be deciding on a plan of action, but instead we are standing here bickering with each other!" She said it quietly, but the strong emotion in her voice caught everyone's attention.

"I agree," Trina volunteered. "I don't know about you guys, but I really do not want to be here when whatever is following us gets here, unless we have a plan and know how to stop it."

"So, now we come to a decision. Do we run, or do we fight?"

"Well, if we run, it'll just keep chasing us. We will never have peace until we eventually give up. We would have to remain constantly on the run." Stephen ventured slowly.

"True, but wouldn't that be better than picking a fight we can't win?" Trina responded. "So, the real question is, can we win this? Alex, what can you tell us about whoever is following?"

Again, Alex closed his eyes and tried to concentrate, focusing on the presence of another mind. "Not much. Only that it is getting too close too fast. It's nearly here."

At that moment, the bushes began to rustle, causing all of them to jump. Alex cursed loudly as he prepared himself for the confrontation. Again the foliage stirred and then a figure ran nimbly out of them and away down the path. Alex stared after the figure dumbly. It was a tan, almost brown color with little white spots and a white tail.

"A doe? You had us all worked up over a tiny, harmless little deer?" Alex could hear the torment in the other boy's voice. "Seriously, I thought there might actually be a fight on our hands."

"I think you are just a little stressed out. Calm down. Relax. You were probably just anticipating something bad happening so your mind exaggerated what you were sensing. It's no big deal." Trina replied warmly, completely ignoring her guardian's rude remarks.

"No. It wasn't that." Alex just knew he hadn't made a mistake. And he wasn't just saying that out of embarrassment. No, he could sense the other presence strongly now. Even without focusing on it, he could feel it. It was overpoweringly strong. "That presence was not the deer. It was whatever scared the deer! I know you don't believe me any more, Stephen, but just be ready. This thing will not be as harmless as the last one."

Once more the others began to hear the sounds of something approaching them. Once more the bushes began to rattle. Once more, Alex began to prepare himself, only this time, he knew it would be a fight.

Alex knew what was coming, though he did not mention it to the others. They would know in a matter of moments. He was far more concerned with getting Willa away from there. Just because her uncle had taken pity on her did not mean all witch hunters would.
♠ ♠ ♠
=)

Ooh. Suspenseful, huh?

Hey, you should comment. Like right now. =D