Utopia

Recognition

Trina was angry, furious even, as she stared down at the hunter from her perch in her angel's arms. She may not have known Willa for more than a few days, but she still considered the young witch a friend. And no one got away with threatening her friends.

Sparks light the air around her. She knew that if she lost her temper, even if only for a moment, they would catch, and the forest around them would be a raging inferno. She didn't care much, though, there was no doubt she could control it. The only person who could possibly be burned this time was the hunter, and Trina believe just getting burned was letting him off far too easily.

"Leave!" The snarl in her voice frightened even her, and she felt Stephen's arms tense around her. He could sense her discomfort, and it bothered him, but she did not care. "The witch is ours! She stays with us."

The hunter glanced up, seeming to see her for the first time. He grinned, showing yellowing teeth. "Sorceress, you are young. I think you do not fully understand the situation. She is a witch! The sworn enemy of your kind. If you do not allow me to kill her now, she will kill you the instant she gets the chance. I wouldn't doubt it of the half breed, either."

She heard Alex suck in breath, preparing to confront the man himself. The sad thing was, she knew what the hunter had said about him was not what bothered him, he was used to that sort of thing. No, Alex, like Trina, just did not like anyone threatening the witch. Trina decided to cut him off, before his tongue could make the situation worse.

"I do understand the situation perfectly. I'm not sure you do. This people are my companions, my friends. All three of them. I have been with them for quite some time. No one here poses a threat to me, besides you." Her hair was lifted from her face and neck on a burning hot breeze. She knew she must look terrifying with every strand outlined in flame.

The hunter showed no trace of fear, save for in his eyes. They no longer held the arrogance they once had, he had originally been certain he would get Willa, now he wasn't even sure he would leave alive. He decided to try to talk reason, with someone else.

He turned his attention on Stephen.

"Surely you, a guardian, understand why the witch cannot live! Speak to your sorceress! Explain to her that I am only trying to help!"

Stephen kept his mouth shut, clearly torn. He didn't trust the witch, but he didn't necessarily want her dead. Trina had absolutely no idea how she knew that, what he was thinking, but she did. And it seemed so normal to have his thoughts in her head.

Trina dropped from Stephen's protective arms. The instant she was on the ground, and away from the risk of burning her angel, the fire completely engulfed her. She raised one fiery arm, cupping the dancing flames that cast odd shadows against the nearly dark clearing. "You leave now! One way or another." She tensed her arm, preparing to fight, and felt the others take up similar poses near her.

"Wait!" Willa's voice was soft, barely more than a whisper, and yet it still caught everyone's attention. Trina turned to look at the other girl, confusion clearly written all over her face. Willa did not even notice all the sudden attention, she was too focused on staring into the hunter's icy blue eyes. "I know you...?" It wasn't quite a statement, more of a question, and she said it haltingly, almost as if the words did not want to pass her lips.

The hunter would not even look directly at her. Trina knew it was because he thought he was too good to give her his direct attention. "I do not familiarize myself with witches." The sneer in his voice made Trina want to hit him, hard, despite the fact that she had never been particularly violent before.

"No, I guess not. But your brothers do."
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so sorry about the wait guys.

But things have been going very badly here at home...

and then I had this chapter completely finished and my comp decided to crash on me... So, yeah. I am sorry! I hope this makes up for it!!

Comments?