Unlucky in Love

Creative

…Dominic’s POV…

I was groggy when I woke up, but it didn’t take me long to realize that nobody was home. I got up and went downstairs. Ember had made coffee—even though she doesn’t drink it, she makes it so much better than any idiot at Starbucks—and left out a cup and the sugar jar for me, which made me think she’d been gone a while and wasn’t planning on coming back before I woke up.

The doorbell rang as I stirred in sugar and milk, and I set down my spoon and went to the door. My eyes widened when I saw Leah standing there—looking even more pregnant than I’d ever seen anyone.

“Hey,” I said lamely, not knowing what to say.

Hey whore who cheated on me with my best friend and tried to blame your first kid on me. How’re you doing?

“Hi,” she said, smiling her famous, devious smile. I used to do anything for that smile. “I was just wanting to say happy birthday.”

“Thanks. How’d you remember? I kind of forgot.”

Leah laughed. “August twenty-sixth is kind of hard for me to forget.” She said matter-of-factly. “So, yeah, I just wanted to say hi. I was on my way to the beach today. Autumn and I are going out for the weekend.”

“Cool. Have fun, I guess.”

“Thanks.” She waited a moment, and then turned and walked down to her car across the street, where Autumn was waiting.

I closed the door and went back to get my coffee. I had completely forgotten it was my birthday, which meant that I was officially out of the teenage phase. And that made me feel really old. In a year I could legally drink. Not that I would. I could get alcohol now if I really wanted to.

I drank my coffee quickly and went upstairs to take a shower, determined to actually do something with my day.

…Ember’s POV…

“No, that is a pretty bitchy thing to do. It’s called ‘cock-blocking.’” Daveigh told me, not caring about the other people around.

I sighed. “Daveigh, I can’t help it if I don’t feel in the mood to do it whenever he wants.” I pointed out. “And besides, I haven’t even hit my sexual peak yet—he’s already there!”

“You forget we’re talking about my brother.” She said bluntly.

“Sorry.”

“Whatever.” She said, and we exited a shop. She took a cigarette out of her purse and lit it. I sighed. She’s been smoking more and more and it was getting really ridiculous. “So, I have an idea, but you might not like it.”

I coughed, waving the smoke away from me. “What?”

Daveigh took my elbow and led me back to her car. She took a last drag and flicked it onto the ground and put it out with her stiletto. We got into her car and she flipped a U-turn without signaling, almost hitting a few cars in the process.

“Okay,” she started when we were safely situated in traffic. “What I would do in this situation is come up with something that gives you the upper-hand, but still lets him think that he’s getting what he wants.”

I just stared at her. “And what the hell does that mean exactly?” I asked, adjusting the air conditioner.

I saw a hint of a smile on her lips. “Get creative.” She said simply. “Lingerie, toys, anything really.”

“Ew.”

“Just be creative, Ember. Again, trying very hard to forget that we’re talking about your sex life with my brother, so can we just talk about mine?”

“Your sex life?” I asked incredulously.

She nodded. “Yes, I’ve had one for five years now.”

I gawked. “With who?” I practically shrieked. She smiled deviously. “Logan?”

“It’s amazing, really. He cheated on me with her, and now he wants me back.”

“Are you sure he wants you back, Daveigh?”

“He told me that when I was going down on him last night. That’s gotta count for something.” Daveigh took the exit to my neighborhood. “So, yeah, he’s coming over tonight. He managed to get Leah and Autumn out for the weekend, so we’re celebrating my birthday at my place.”

I rolled my eyes. “Oh, so you can become part of the unwed mother’s club?” I asked acidly.

She pulled up in front of my house and turned off the engine. “Dude, I’m not that stupid. I’ve been on the pill since I was thirteen. And besides, I had him first.”

“You had him first?” I mocked. “Wow, okay, you’re kind of stupid.” I popped open my door and grabbed my bags from the backseat. “Daveigh?”

“What?”

“Would you be willing to maybe baby-sit Emma tonight? Pick her up from daycare and keep her at your place?”

Daveigh scoffed. “Yeah, why?”

I sighed quietly. “I need to get creative.”

“Get back in,” she told me wickedly, restarting the engine.

* * *

I felt like a total idiot when I walked inside the front door late that afternoon. Our car was gone, so Dominic was out. And that was a good thing.

It gave me time to set up.

I went upstairs and set my bags on the bed. I quickly took off my clothes before I lost my nerve and slipped on the lacy dress-like thing. It was black, and only fully covered the nipples. I slid on a black thong as well and opened my closet door to look at the mirror.

Again, I was so amazed by my body. I was pretty hot, actually. My hair was loose and wavy and my chest filled out the top quite nicely. I emptied the other bag and placed candles around the room and lit them. I turned the air down to fifty-two, making sure the only heat that would come out of this room would be from body temperatures.

I took the little booklet I made out of my purse and set it on the bed, and then adjusted the pillows and lay down seductively. I grabbed my phone and dialed Dominic’s number.

“Hey, Em,” he said.

“Hey, where are you?”

“I’m pulling up to the driveway. Do you want to go out tonight?”

I licked my lips, thinking again if this was a good idea or not. “Uh, no, I was thinking we could stay in.”

Dominic sighed on his end. “Okay. I’ll be there in a minute.” A few minutes later, I heard his footsteps coming up the stairs. “Em, I really think we should go out,” he started opening the door. “At least to get dinner or some—” he stopped dead in his tracks when he saw me.

…Dominic’s POV…

I sighed as I got off the phone with Ember. I was so sick of predictability. Every fucking night we were doing the same thing: watching TV and not talking.

I got inside and started up the stairs, intent on changing Ember’s mind. “Em, I really think we should go out,” I called, opening the door. “At least to go get dinner or some—” I stopped when I realized what was going on.

Ember was in a short, lacy black dress that left absolutely nothing to the imagination and was lying on the bed in a way that turned me on more than anything.

“Happy birthday.” She said, her voice sweet and seductive. Lately she’d been kind of monotone and wore ratty tank tops and shorts.

And she looked unbelievably sexy right then.

My feet carried me to the bed, and I leaned over her and kissed her, my hand trailing on her waist. She moved her head to get out of my access. I knew it was too good to be true.

“Don’t you want to unwrap your present?” she asked, her green eyes wide and vulnerable. She was really good.

I smirked. “Are you my present? It shouldn’t be that hard to get you out of this.” I commented, stroking her thigh.

Ember laughed and reached over to grab something, handing it to me. “This is your present. I’m just part of it.”

I flipped through the book. “Coupons?” I asked unenthusiastically.

She sighed and took it back. “They’re not coupons. They’re vouchers.” She corrected, showing me one of them. “A few rules for them, though. You can only use one a week, if you get carried away and hurt me at all, you lose two really good ones, and the very last three are for absolute emergencies only.”

“My birthday present is sex?” I asked, and she nodded once. “Whenever I want?” she nodded again. “Who’s to say you’ll actually stick with this?”

She flipped to the back of the book, and it had everything that she had just said written down, along with her signature. “It basically says I won’t renege on any of this. So what do you say?” she asked, one hand on my chest and the other on my leg.

I ripped out one of the little vouchers and handed it to her, and she leaned forward and kissed me on the lips.