Unlucky in Love

Okay

“What do you think she’ll want?” I asked Dominic.

We were walking around Target, trying to come up with ideas for Emma’s birthday. In two days, she’ll be a year old.

It was unfathomable how much had changed in a year.

I had a husband and a house and a beautiful daughter and a good, stable life. What I had was way more than I could’ve even hoped for. Dominic and Emma were worth more than anything in the world, and I was really lucky to have them.

And so I had to make sure Emma had the best first birthday ever.

There wasn’t going to be a huge party or anything, but Susan and Richard were coming up, and Daveigh was getting Emma her own cake. That was better than a party full of people I barely knew.

“Ember, she’s going to be a year old. What does it matter?”

I swatted at him. “This is such an important event in her life—we have to get her something good.”

“Okay, I’ll go look at the toys, you can look at the clothes.”

“Deal. Forty-five minutes though, no later.” I warned. He nodded and headed towards the direction of the toys.

The clothes were so cute, and I could see Emma wearing all of them. But I had a limit—about a hundred dollars, which meant I had to spend wisely. And that was so not easy for me.

“Honey, I just don’t understand.” I turned as I heard an eerily familiar voice. It was Autumn and her mom. “How could you let this happen? Was it because of Ember?”

My eyes widened as I heard my name come up in conversation.

“No!” Autumn objected. “No—I just wanted to have a baby. I wasn’t doing anything in my life, and I thought that it would be a good idea. I thought it would be good for my relationship with Sean.”

“And was it?”

Autumn sighed. “Obviously not.”

I turned back around, picking up a few outfits. I did not want to be anywhere near them right then.

“Ember Devereux, is that you?”

Autumn’s mom had seen me, and I couldn’t just up and run away. And that left me with the only other option.

“Mrs. Bailey!” I exclaimed, meeting her awaiting hug. “How are you?”

“I’m just fine. How’re things going with you?” she asked. She looked at my cart and then met my eyes with a little suspicion. “Are you having another baby?”

I shook my head and laughed, startled. “No, no. My daughter’s first birthday is in a couple of days, so I’m just getting some presents and stuff.”

Laura smiled. “Well, well, well…” she started, seeming at a loss for words. “How’s everything going?”

“Everything’s great. I’m in school, my marriage has finally gotten to a steady level—it’s just really good right now.”

“Well I’m happy for you,” she said. “And maybe, since you two are neighbors, you can help Autumn out.”

I glanced at Autumn, who looked tired and ill. She also looked like she had stuffed a balloon underneath her top. “Maybe…if she wants any advice or anything.”

Laura laughed and put her arm around Autumn’s shoulders. “Unfortunately, Autumn doesn’t know how to take advice well. I advised Autumn to not squander her future. I advised her to go to UC Santa Cruz. I advised her to stay away from negative influences like Sean and Leah.” She smiled down at her daughter. “And she chose to move in with Sean and Leah, and to go off her birth control.”

I shrugged nonchalantly. “Things happen sometimes.”

Laura nodded and released Autumn. “Tell me, Ember. Was your child an unplanned miracle like my grandchild is?”

I blinked. “No.”

“Oh, so you planned to throw away plans for your future?”

“I didn’t throw away anything, Mrs. Bailey. I had a daughter with my husband, because we both wanted her. My daughter was the only plan I had for my future. And if you think badly of me for that, then I’m sorry, but that was the best decision I ever made. Maybe you should think about the positives of Autumn’s situation, rather than the fact that she opted for motherhood rather than a college education.”

Laura scoffed. “What is positive about Autumn’s situation?”

Autumn was staring down at the floor and had her hand buried in her pocket. That was her move for when she was trying to control her emotions.

“I don’t know Laura, maybe it’s the fact that she’ll be the only daughter of yours to actually give you a grandchild. I’m sure Nina isn’t planning on dating any men anytime soon.”

She didn’t have anything to say to that, so I said a casual goodbye and went over to the toys.

* * *

“I think, all things considered, this was a really good day.” Susan commented to me. Her, Daveigh, and I were in the kitchen, getting dinner ready.

Emma had loved everything she got, especially the princess stuff from her grandparents.

Like mother, like daughter, right?

“It was. I’m glad we got it on film, too.” I replied. Dominic and his dad went to go to the store to get ice cream that he had forgotten, and to pick up the cakes.

“Doesn’t all this make you wish you had another baby?” Susan asked.

Daveigh and I busted out laughing. “No!” I exclaimed. “God, no, Susan! I am fine with just Emma.”

Susan put her hands on her hips. “So I don’t get another grandchild, Ember? You’re cutting me off at one?”

“Thanks, Mom,” Daveigh said.

“I didn’t mean it like that, Daveigh.” Susan promised. “I just don’t see you having a baby for…years. You’re only twenty.”

“Dominic’s twenty also, Mom. So, what, you only want grandkids from Dominic?”

Daveigh was just messing around with her mom, and Susan knew it.

I cleared my throat. “Daveigh, let’s go for a walk or something. I know Poppy wants to get out of the house.”

She shrugged. “Whatever,” she said, and then grabbed Poppy’s leash and called for her.

“Will you be okay with Emma?” I asked Susan, and she almost looked offended.

Susan swatted me with a dishtowel. “I know how to take care of babies, Ember.”

“All right then.” I said, and then went out of the kitchen and to the front door, where Poppy and Daveigh were waiting.

“So I have some news,” Daveigh said as we started down the block.

I tightened my grip on Poppy’s leash when she tried to go into the road. “What?”

“Logan and Sean are moving out. I guess Sean’s going back to Sacramento.”

I raised my eyebrows. “And where’s Logan going?”

Daveigh smiled wickedly. “Well, my apartment is awfully big for just me…” she started. “At least this way we won’t have to sneak around.”

I scoffed. “What? He purposely starts shit with Leah so he can have an excuse to leave, and then he goes to your place to have sex?”

“Pretty much. And there’s the whole matter of me being more flexible and willing than Leah.”

“Ew.” I said. “Like…?” I asked, not being able to help my curiosity.

“Like…well, jeez Ember. Missionary gets really boring after a while, and I personally like being on top.” She said, picking at her nail. “Or on my knees. Or my hands and ankles tied to the bedpost while he—”

“Oh, my God!” I blurted, covering my ears. “You could use a little less detail.”

Daveigh laughed. “Okay, Ember, but when your sex life gets boring again, think about other…options. There’s nothing wrong with being dominated.”

“Just shut up, Daveigh.”

* * *

“Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday, dear Emma, happy birthday to you!” we sang to her. Dominic and I helped her blow out her candle, and she looked at everyone, confused.

Daveigh took matters into her own hands and put Emma’s hand into her princess cake. Emma squished it in her fingers a bit, and then put it to her mouth and ate it off. And then she did that until a good half of the little cake was gone.

She was going to have such a bad stomachache tonight.

The doorbell rang, and I got up to get it. Nobody was paying attention, though, because Emma was just so cute. I opened the door, and Autumn was standing there, looking distraught.

“Hey, you okay?”

She shook her head. “Can we talk for a bit?”

“Yeah.” I went outside, shutting the door behind me. “What’s going on?”

“Sean left.” She announced. “And my mom doesn’t really want to have anything to do with me.”

“I know how that feels.” I murmured, looking over at her house. It looked so depressing. “Is she still here?”

Autumn shook her head. “No, she left a little while ago. I’ve been looking for a new place, though.”

“Why’s that?”

She scoffed. “I can’t stand Leah’s bullshit anymore. I don’t know how I was ever friends with her in the first place.”

I shrugged. “I don’t know either.” She looked about ready to say something, and then she clutched her side and bent over slightly. “Autumn, are you okay?” I asked, knowing it was probably what I think it was.

Oh, shit.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please Comment & Subscribe!!!