Unlucky in Love

Everyone Hates You

A loud banging woke me up, and I realized I was sleeping on the couch in the living room, still wearing the dress from Emma’s party last night. It had been crazy; Autumn had her baby at about one o’clock this morning, and I had stayed with her through the whole ordeal.

I was happy for her, but at the same time, I was sad for her. Autumn wasn’t the kind of person to step up in a tough situation, and this was probably going to be the hardest situation she’s ever had.

I got up and went to get the door—probably looking like hell—and I swung it open.

“What the hell are you doing here?”

Leah was standing on the porch, with her arms folded over her chest. Unlike Autumn had, Leah looked like a giant whale. I actually wanted to go get a camera and take a picture.

Leah took a step closer to me. “Listen, Ember, you need to back off.”

“Take your own advice, Leah. I’m not the one standing on your doorstep.”

“Well, then stop making yourself so open to helping Autumn. I should’ve been the one for her to come to last night, not you.”

“Leah, she came over here to talk, and then she went into labor. What was I supposed to do? Tell her to hold on for a second so I could give you a call? You’re such an idiot sometimes!”

She scoffed. “And you’re such a genius?”

“I’m going to ask you very nicely to get your big ass off my property, or I’ll call the police and tell them a crazy chick is stalking my family. Take your pick, Leah.”

Leah narrowed her eyes at me. “You don’t scare me at all. You’re just a little bitch who managed to get a break.”

I backed up again as she moved forward, and I grabbed the door. “You know what, Leah? I can’t wait till that baby is out of you, because then I won’t feel bad at all about kicking your fucking ass.” I spoke calmly, not trying to show the anger that was coursing through me. “Everyone hates you Leah, don’t you get that?”

Leah snorted and wrapped her arms around her chest.

“I hate you. Autumn hates you. Logan hates you. Daveigh hates you. Dominic hates you. Nobody gives a shit about you Leah, so shut the fuck up and go away. Go back to California—go to fucking Mexico for all I care! Just get out of my life!”

* * *

“Hey,” I said, knocking on the open door. Autumn looked up and smiled slightly. “How are you?”

“Okay, I guess.”

I sat down in a chair next to her bed, balancing Emma on my lap. She kept trying to grab at things, so I took off my necklace and handed the charm to her. I kept hold of the chain in case she tried to eat it.

I looked up at Autumn, who was studying Emma. “How’s baby?”

“I don’t know. I haven’t seen her yet.”

“Why not?”

Autumn sat up straighter in her bed. “I haven’t wanted to. I made them take her away.”

I sighed to myself. “So you haven’t even held her yet?” she shook her head. “You know you have to eventually, right?”

Autumn nodded. “I just don’t want to right now.”

I tried a different tactic. “Have you named her at least?”

“Alice.” She said, looking down at her lap. “Alice Mackenna Bailey.”

“Bailey?” I asked.

She nodded once. “If he didn’t even want to stick around for her to be born or to sign the birth certificate, she doesn’t need his last name.”

I flicked Emma’s hand lightly when she put the charm in her mouth. It wasn’t enough to hurt her, just enough to make her stop. “I think you need to see her, Bailey.”

Autumn sighed. “Yeah.” She agreed without emotion. She pressed a button on the remote of her bed. A nurse came in a few moments later, and Autumn told her she wanted to see the baby.

The nurse smiled as she left the room.

“Is it stupid to say that I’m scared?” she asked me.

I laughed. “Not at all. I couldn’t hold Emma for the first hour. I was too scared.”

“What made you decide to do it?”

“Dominic made a break for it and left me alone with her.” I said bluntly, and Autumn laughed.

The nurse brought the baby in, and then left before Autumn could change her mind.

“What do I do?” she asked quickly.

“Relax, for one.” I said, and she loosened up. The baby was bigger than Emma had been, and she seemed clingier than Emma had been. She cooed, moving closer to Autumn. “What do you think now?”

“She’s pretty,” she said lamely, not looking away from the tiny baby.

I nodded. “Yeah.” I cleared my throat and adjusted Emma on my lap. “It will get better, Bailey.” I promised.

Autumn glanced over at me. “I hope so.”

* * *

“Mom!” Emma’s whiny voice called. I had set her down so I could get something to drink, and she was demanding again.

I grabbed a Coke and went into the living room. I took her out of her playpen and sat down on the couch, holding her on my lap.

The front door opened, and Emma took the liberty of sliding off the couch and trying to run to the door. She tripped and—of course—started crying her eyes out.

“Emma!” I groaned.

Dominic bent and picked her up. “Did Mommy hurt you today?” he asked her, kissing her forehead.

“I didn’t make her run to the door.” I defended myself.