Unlucky in Love

Reforming

“I can’t believe you ditched me.” Daveigh complained. “I mean why the hell would you leave when you were so close to finishing?”

I sighed and downed the last of my pumpkin spice latte—the only thing I drink that’s made with coffee. “Daveigh, honestly, I just want to be a…”

“A housewife?” she offered when I didn’t continue. She scoffed. “Yes, let us all reform back to the nineteen-fifties idealized vision of women! Hey while we’re at it, let’s get some aprons and learn how to make five-course meals!” she gushed.

I threw my cup in the trash and got up. I got Emma from Daveigh’s lap and carted her out on my hip.

“Ember!” Daveigh called when I got to my car. She ran slightly to catch up to me. “Ember, I was just kidding!”

“No.” I told her. I buckled Emma into her car seat and then shut the door a little too hard. “No, Daveigh, you weren’t kidding.”

She sighed and leaned against the side of the car. “I just don’t think you should fuck up your life because you want to—”

“Because I want to be a good mom and wife?” I cut her off. “I want to make my marriage work. I want to spend more time with Emma and to have another baby. I don’t want to do this if it means I ruin my family.”

Daveigh nodded slightly and backed away from the car, folding her arms across her chest. “I understand. I just think you’re making a mistake. Maybe you and Dominic shouldn’t be together.”

I shook my head and went around to get in on my side. I slammed the door and ignited the engine, and then backed out fast.

I fucking hated her sometimes.

* * *

“Did you have to freak out on her like that?” Dominic rationalized.

“I didn’t freak out on her!” I defended myself. “She was insulting me!”

He sighed and grabbed a Coke out of the fridge and handed it to me. I popped the top and took a big gulp.

“Better?” he asked after a moment.

“Slightly.” I replied, taking another sip. “I just don’t understand what the big deal is—I want to be a housewife for right now. I don’t see why it’s a big deal to her.”

“I don’t know, either.”

…Dominic’s POV…

I was yet again in the middle of a spat between Ember and Daveigh. I don’t know how I kept getting sucked into it…

It was probably the fact that I had to live with Ember and put up with her.

“She’s just being a fucking idiot, and you need to stop her.” Daveigh complained.

I rolled my eyes. “When has anyone ever been able to stop Ember Devereux from doing something?” I retorted, and she nodded.

Ember may have been perfect and obedient, but when she really wanted something, she always got it. She wanted us to stay married and she got that. She wanted her mom to stay out of our business and she definitely got that. She wanted Emma, and of course I gave her that.

Now, is there a time when you can actually tell someone like that “no,” because I don’t think there is?

Daveigh thought for a bit and then met my eyes. “I think you guys should go home.”

“What do you mean?”

She sighed. “I just mean that it’s really obvious she’s unhappy here. She has the drama of Leah and Autumn. At least at home she’ll be in familiar territory. You guys still own the house, right?”

“Dad owns it, but yeah.” I had to admit Daveigh was right. Ember wasn’t happy here, and she didn’t need to say it for it to be true. “You’re right, Daveigh.”

She nodded slightly. “Just talk to her. What’s the worst that could happen?”

* * *

“What do you mean? This is our home!” Ember objected.

“Just for a few months, Ember. We can leave the first of November and stay until the Spring.”

“What about school?”

I shrugged. “Online classes.”

She sighed dramatically and dropped onto the bed. “I guess it would be good for us.” She admitted. “Fine. I’m in.” she gave me her right hand, and I shook it with my right hand.

…Ember’s POV…

I carried Emma and her huge pumpkin full of candy back home. Emma was asleep with her head on my shoulder. It was about nine-thirty, and the older kids were not even halfway done with their trick-or-treating.

Emma passed out about forty-five minutes ago.

I blew out the candles inside the pumpkins on the porch, and then went inside the house and turned off the porch light.

“When are we leaving?” I asked Dominic when we got upstairs.

“I want to be on the road by three.” He called from our bathroom.

I nearly dropped my baby. “In the morning?” I sputtered.

He came out into the hall. “No. In the afternoon. I have an exam that I have to be in person for.” He chuckled, almost to himself. “If I miss it, Craig will fail me.”

My eyes widened slightly at his casual use of Craig’s name. Dominic still didn’t know that I had gone out with him, and I plan on keeping it that way for as long as I live.

“I figured we’d get packed up, you can drop me off at ten, and then you hang out until I’m done with the exam, and we’ll take turns driving.”

I nodded. “Okay. I’m going to put her to bed.” I turned and walked to her room and got her out of the stupid Cinderella dress. I put her in her pajamas and set her down in her crib.

I took her barrel of candy and went into my room. I dropped the candy on the bed and went into the bathroom and started the shower. Dominic was brushing his teeth and I stripped off my clothes and grabbed my brush as he was rinsing out his mouth. He wiped his mouth on the back of his hand and looked at me in the mirror as I brushed through the long, silky strands.

When I was done, I cleaned out my brush and started for the shower. Dominic grabbed me around my waist and pulled me to him. “Do you care if I join you?” he murmured in my ear.

I didn’t say anything. I just went to the shower and kept the door open while I waited for him to get the hint and get undressed. He got in, and I backed up slightly, standing completely under the water.

Dominic slid the door closed and bent his head down to kiss me. I wrapped my arms around him and kissed back, pulling him to me. He pushed me gently into the wall and picked me up. I wrapped my legs around his waist and positioned myself till we were connected.

A moan came out of my mouth, and Dominic had a devious look in his eyes. “Do we have to go?” I whimpered, digging my nails into his shoulder blade.

“Just for a few months,” he promised, his breath coming out shallow and quick.

“Whatever,”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you liked it! Will update within the next couple of days...

And please read my story A Day in the Life of a (ab)Normal Teen