Unlucky in Love

A Day Alone

…Ember’s POV…

“Who was the last person to cut your hair?” Sarah—the person doing my hair at the Aveda Institute—asked me.

“I was. If it looks terrible, that’s because I did it as a spur of the moment thing and I just happened to have scissors there.”

She laughed. “It’s not bad,” she said, straightening the last section of the blow-dried mess that was my hair’s current state. “But I’m sure you’ll probably like this a little better.” She turned my chair around to face the mirror, and a happy—relieved—smile spread across my face.

It was about shoulder length and cut in smooth layers, and it really looked good on me. “Thanks,” I told her, and she took off the smock thing and I got up. She walked me over to the make-up counter upstairs and I sat down on a high metal chair while she picked out a lip-gloss. “So, what’s the whole curriculum thing here? Like going to school?” I asked her.

“It depends. I’m doing hair and spa, so that takes more time, and we do nails, hair, massages, facials, waxing—it’s really fun though, if that’s the kind of thing you’re interested in, and if you graduate from here it’s a lot easier to get a job in a salon.”

“Really?” I asked after she applied the lip-gloss. She handed me the mirror, and I once again looked back at my awesome hair. I handed back the mirror and followed her back downstairs. She went through a routine of putting all the products she used in my hair into a basket, and we talked more about school.

I never thought I’d be interested in this stuff, but it kind of seemed like it would be a good fit.

I finished paying, and then turned to walk out.

And then I saw Daveigh coming in. At first I was going to say hi, and then I saw that she was holding Emma’s car seat, with my little tiny baby inside. Her eyes opened wide when she saw me, and then she inconspicuously moved the car seat behind her and smiled at me.

“Hey, Ember!” she said nervously. “Uh, happy birthday!”

“Thanks!” I replied sarcastically, mocking her. “Would you mind telling me why you have my baby?”

She didn’t meet my eyes, but then went up to the counter and started talking. I followed her up and stood behind her, taking the car seat from her. Emma was sleeping in her pink outfit and blanket.

Daveigh turned back to me. “Sorry, I’ll explain later.”

“No, you can explain now.”

“I can’t—I have an appointment with the admissions person in five minutes.”

I shook my head. “Whatever, Daveigh, I’ll see you later.” I said, and then walked out, leaving Emma with her.

* * *

“I love how you just expect your sister to take care of your baby,” I said to Dominic on the phone when I was in a cab on the way to a new destination.

I really needed to get a license.

Okay, I needed a permit first, but that doesn’t matter right now.

“Em, she offered. It’s not like I told her to take her off my hands—she offered to take her with her.”

“And why couldn’t you do it?”

He sighed on his end. “Because I’m in the middle of something here. I know that’s really no excuse, but it’s the truth.”

I just shook my head. I looked out the window and saw that we had stopped in front of the tattoo place. I got out, paid the driver, and then walked to the door. “Hey, I’m gonna have to call you back after a while, I’m in the middle of something.” I said, and then hung up, not even caring.

…Dominic’s POV…

Great. Now I’d have to wait God knows how long for her to get back.

Were all girls this insane, or was it just her?

Was she still mad at me about this morning or about Leah a couple months ago, or is this her way of saying she wants a divorce?

I didn’t know because Ember is possibly the most frustrating person I’ve ever met. She’s so good at hiding stuff from me—from everyone, really.

A part of me wishes I could go back and tell her no—no about the baby, no about wanting to stay married, no about getting together in the first place. I loved her, I’m pretty sure, but I just don’t know if I like being with her anymore.

I’m not sure if she even wants to be with me anymore.

…Ember’s POV…

“Who are you doing this for?” the guy asked.

This tattoo hurt a lot less than the one on my back. I’m not sure if it’s because I had already had one, so I kind of knew what to expect, or if it was because the ankle is probably much better than the spine.

“My daughter. I just had her, like, ten days ago.”

He nodded slightly, focusing on what he was doing. “Where is she, with your boyfriend?”

Of course, since I was a teenager, I wasn’t supposed to be married. I was considered a teen that had sex out of wedlock and a bastard baby.

“Um, he asked his sister to watch her, because he was claiming that he was too busy to do it himself. And before that he called me selfish for wanting a day alone. And then I figured out that he had forgotten my birthday.”

The more I said it to myself, the more I realized that Dominic was a total douche.

He was a freaking douche who only cared about himself.

Oh, my God.

My husband didn’t care.

A tear slipped out of my eye as this realization struck me.

“You’re done,” he said proudly, and I wiped away the stray tear and sniffled and then looked at the tattoo in the mirror.

It was perfect.

* * *

“Thank you,” I said to the cab driver as I got out. My ankle was killing me, especially with my skinny jeans pressing against the bandage. I managed to get up to the front door, and I unlocked it, hearing Poppy go crazy. “Okay, Poppy, I’m home,” I told her, opening the door. She jumped like crazy, and I prayed that she wouldn’t go near my right foot.

I bent down slightly to pet her. “Did you miss Mommy today?” I asked, and she licked my hand. “You’re a dork,” I told her, kissing her head.

I followed Poppy inside, turning on the light on the way.

“Surprise!”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys!

I just did this in the last hour, so if it sucks, it's because it's only 7:45 in the morning here.

Exciting news: I'm getting my driver's permit in an hour!

Not so exciting news: I have to go to school right after.

But hey, at least I'm graduating this year!