Dead in the Water

The Voices In Our Heads

"No!" I yelled waking myself up and sitting up in my hospital bed.

"Dreams again?" Martin asked.

"Just the same one I have every night." I replied.

"Was it Gerard?" Frank asked actually concerned at the moment for me.

"No." I said. "It is about Ian. It is always the same dream. I see Elissa die and I can't stop it." I replied not feeling any pain.

"Ah, my patient is awake again, I see." My doctor said as he entered the room.

"Yes and this patient is hungry." I said looking at Martin who promised me food when I woke up.

"Don't worry. Erelin and Nonnie will be back here with food in a few. I called them and they are rested as well as they are going to be." Martin replied in my head.

"I brought in the nurse. We are going to remove your bandages and the sling on your shoulder to check how the wound is and clean it. We need to make sure an infection has not set in. You went through a lot of stitches." He sighed. "After that we will get you some food." The doctor said taking my sling off.

He pulled my gown down a bit on my left side and started to take off the bandages on my shoulder that were covered in blood. The nurse sat down the tray of clean bandages and wound cleaner on my bed. When the doctor removed the bandages he gasped.

"What? What is it? Am I going to lose my arm or something?" I asked.

"No. You are completely healed up. Your stitches dissolved." He said amazed as I looked down at my shoulder. That was why I had not felt any pain.

I looked over at Martin who was quickly trying to use some sort of persuasion on the doctor. Brendon and Frank walked over to me to see my shoulder. I was shocked. I hate how my body decides it wants to work. Frank was right; my body is in a war over itself.

"Does this mean I can come home tonight?" I asked the doctor.

"I want to keep you one more night but you are free to leave tomorrow morning." The doctor said, quickly leaving.

"What did you say to him?" I asked Martin.

"I put the thought in his head that he didn't see what he saw and that you were healing up nicely." Martin replied.

"This is great news!" Brendon replied nearly tackling me in my bed.

"You are squeezing too tight." I said as Brendon hugged me.

"Oh, sorry." I said as he let go. "It is just now you can be my bodyguard when we face Pete." He said.

"Oh, Brendon." I said rolling my eyes. "Hey, where is my food. I really am starved guys and you promised Martin." I said.

"You also asked me to marry you too." Martin laughed.

"It was only to distract myself from sleeping. I know that we can't get married." I sighed.

"Who wants dinner?" I heard Erelin say as I looked up.

In walked her and Nonnie through the door to my room. Frank ran over to Nonnie and gave her a huge hug which also resulted in him spinning her around. She gave me a look, wondering what I had said to him.

"It wasn't me." I said laughing.

"Nonnie, I am so sorry for hurting you." Frank said. "I am just glad you are safe." He added.

"Frank, are you sick or something?" She asked.

"Yes from being away from you." He said making me want to gag.

"I know you have something to do with this." I said in my thoughts to Martin.

"What makes you think that?" He asked as I started to eat.

"Because I heard him ask you how you do some of the things you do." I replied.