Dead in the Water

This Is Where I Belong

(Amanda's POV)

I woke up to the sounds of birds chirping outside. I sat up in bed and for once my body felt well rested. I wasn't feeling weak or anything. My slayer abilities even seemed to be acting normal.

I looked over to my right to see Martin still sleeping. I smiled. He was so gorgeous and I was glad I was his.

"Hey, Martin, wake up." I said shaking him.

It was still early. The alarm clock Martin sat last night read that it was seven am. The alarm was set for eight.

"Martin." I said shaking him again and kissing his lips. He didn't respond.

"Ok, Martin, you got me." I said in his ear. "I give." I replied.

"Martin?" I said frantically trying to shake him awake.

"No!" I screamed. This could not be. Vampires don't breathe, yet Martin isn't moving.

"Martin!" I screamed again knowing he was dead.

"No!" I said waking up. I looked over to see Martin was sleeping. I looked at the clock. It read that it was seven am as my dream said. It was just a nasty dream, right?

"Martin?" I said shaking him. "Martin, wake up." I said shaking him again. "This is not funny!" I snapped.

"Surprise!" Martin said flipping me over.

"Don't do that! You scared me. I thought that you were dead!" I said pissed.

"Honey, vampires don't die in their sleep. We don't breathe." He said laughing at me.

Instead of arguing more, I grabbed him and held on to him for a minute. "Are you ok?" Martin asked. "I didn't mean to scare you." He said rolling over.

"I know. I guess I am jittery from earlier." I said sighing.

"Well, how did you sleep from after your dream last night?" He asked turning off his alarm.

"Actually, I feel like I could take on a hundred vampires. I slept peaceful." I said.

"That is great news." He smiled. "What?" He asked.

"Martin are you not telling me something?" I asked feeling a bit fuzzy from last night.

"What would there be to tell? You fell back to sleep in my arms last night. You snored pretty loudly too." He laughed.

"Thanks." I said hitting him with a pillow.

"You woke up earlier than I had set the alarm to. Impressive." He grinned.

"I owe it all to you. You make me feel safe." I smiled.

"You better get home and change and head to the hospital before they send Nonnie home." Martin replied. "I shall be here unless you need me tonight." He said as I watched him get up and put some pants on.

"Ok. I did promise Frank that I woud help her." I replied getting up to kiss him.

I went and changed back into last night's clothes and then proceeded to head into the kitchen where Martin made me breakfast again. I felt as if this is where I belonged. I belonged with Martin. "Micah who?" I thought as my mind wandered.