Dead in the Water

Nonnie's Challenge

(Amanda's POV)

I left Martin's and made it back to my apartment. Erelin was sleeping under the covers of her bed with Brendon on top. She was snuggled close to him.

I quickly showered and then changed into some black yoga pants, a tshirt, and a black hoodie. I left Erelin a note and then took off to the hospital to see Nonnie. I was so loving having energy this morning. I have not felt this good since Beckett attacked me.

I made it to Nonnie's room and gently knocked. I recieved no answer so I slowly went in. Sleeping in a chair was Bev and Joe and Frank was curled up in the opposite bed. Nonnie was wide awake and smiling at me.

"What were you thinking?" I asked.

"Shh. I don't want to wake Frank or the others up. I had a time last night." She replied.

"What do you mean you had a time?" I asked.

"Well to make a long story short, Gerard attacked me as you know and Frank had to bite me to get me to calm down last night. I still feel a bit weak but I know I am doing better. Gerard invaded my dreams and staked me. I didn't know that he could hurt me in real life." Nonnie replied.

"Vampires can only hurt you in your dreams if you let them. By that I mean that you let your guard down. Gerard did it this time so he knows he can do it to you again." I said.

"Well, I know now that he is not my Gerard." Nonnie replied.

"Wow, it took you how long to figure that out?" I laughed.

"Hey, he was like an older brother to me." Nonnie said with sadness in her eyes.

"So Frank bit you because?" I asked looking over at him.

"Well, let's say Gerard appeared in my dreams as you know. When I woke up he took control over me called me to where he was. I knocked Bev to the floor. I think I gave her a black eye and I was going to fight Joe to get out of this hospital room but he stopped me. He wasn't afraid of me and he was't going to let me out of this room no matter what. Joe didn't deserve me all that time I was with him." She said.

"Where was Frank at this time?" I asked.

"Well, he grabbed me and made me sleep again. I didn't know he could invade my dreams after another vampire bites you. He appeared though in a faded form. I had to concentrate and accept him in my dreams. I woke up with the wound from Gerard and Frank bit me to regain control. I don't want to be a victim anymore, Amanda. I don't know what else to do. I feel as if I am not strong enough to fight Gerard. He made me think things and do things in my dream." She shivered.

"How about this. I know how to tune the voices out in your head whether it be Frank or Gerard. It won't work all of the time but it can be a start. The next time Frank goes to read your thoughts, you can block him." I said.

"How do you know this?" Nonnie asked.

"I did it with Martin. I just focused on something else and tuned him out last night when he was looking for me and lecturing me." I smiled.

"You are a slayer, though. It probably works for you." Nonnie replid discouraged.

"You won't know unless you try. It may help you with Gerard if he ever bites you again which I hope he doesn't. Frank is your current test subject." I said laughing.

"True and he can be annoying being in my thoughts. I hate it how he hears what I am thinking sometimes. If I wanted him to know something then I would have told him." She laughed.

"See." I said smiling.

"I have another thing for you." I replied.

"When you get out of here, I want to train you." I said.

"Frank has been teaching me things." Nonnie said.

"Has it helped you any?" I asked.

"Well maybe a little." She said.

"It is time that Nonnie Woods takes care of herself instead of relying on Frank to do it all the time." I said.

"What do you have in mind?" She asked.

"I am going to put you through a rigerous training schedule that I had to do when I became the slayer. Micah trained me and the one positive thing I can say is that he trained me well. I want to train you and I will drag Pete in to help. Using Frank will only distract you." I said.

She looked over at him and grinned, "Maybe you are right about that.

"So are you in?" I asked knowing that this was going to be tough on her since she was not a slayer.

"Is this dangerous for me since I am not a slayer?" She asked.

"This will help make you stronger." I replied. "Besides Erelin was put through this when we learned she was a slayer in waiting. She survived." I said.

"Ok, count me in. When do I start?" She asked.

"We can start as soon as you are released from the hospital, if you want." I laughed.

"Great." She smiled.

I had a feeling though, that it would not be me, Pete, Elissa, Erelin, Brendon, or Frank that stops Gerard but Nonnie herself. She doesn't realize it but I fear that this is what is going to happen. Frank won't be able to save her but I hope my training can. I hope Nonnie has the power to kill Gerard before he tries to rip her away from everyone she cares about. We won't always be there to protect her.