Dead in the Water

You're Halfway There

(Nonnie’s POV)

“Nonnie its time to wake up,” Gerard said shaking my shoulder. “You have to get dressed we have company. You may recognize some of them. They hate our kind. They want to kill us. The meanest one is Frank. He’s evil and wants to keep you and me apart. You’re not going to let them take you away from me right?” I shook my head no. He was here when I woke up. He’s been taking care of me. He even told me who I am. Right now he’s all I got.

He handed me a black corset top and a pair of stretch black jeans, then a pair of black Converse. I quickly got dressed. As soon as I laced up the second shoe the door burst open. A man with long black hair and green eyes came into the room.

“Frankie, glad you could join us.” Gerard said. So this was the Frank who was trying to keep Gerard and I apart. I couldn’t let that happen.

“Nonnie?” He looked toward me. Something inside me wanted to trust him, but Gerard said I shouldn’t. He said that he was trying to kill us. Frank ran forward toward Gerard, but I tackled him before he could get close enough. We rolled around on the floor.

“You’re not going to hurt him,” I said. I don’t know how but I ended up pinned under him.

“Nonnie I know you. You’re better than this. Please remember,” flashes started going through my head. Memories of Frank and I started coming back to me. Our engagement, our old friends, and our old apartment. Him trying to protect me from becoming the monster I am. Then he was thrown off top of me and Gerard helped me up.

“You alright Sugar?” he asked. “Why are you crying?” I didn’t answer him I just punched him and sent him flying across the room.

“You made a huge mistake,” I said walking over to him. “You hurt my friends and then you leveled the playing field. You gave me the same strength you have.” he stood up and instantly had me by my neck.

“Silly girl, you’ll never be as good as me. I think you should forget what ever he’s told you. You’ll be happier with me…” I kicked out with my foot sending him flying into the wall.

“I never wanted this…” I heard a scream from out side the door. I looked back over to where Gerard had been but he was gone already. I thought about chasing after him but heard the scream again. I rushed out of the door and onto a walkway. I looked out over the railing and saw a group of familiar faces. They were all fighting Gerard’s men. I took a step back and bumped into Frank.

“Non, those are your friends. We have to help them.” I shook my head no.

“Frank look at what I’ve become.” I wanted to cry, but then I heard that scream again. I turned back to the fight and Bev was in trouble Joe couldn’t get to her and there wasn’t anyone else who could help either. Before I could blink I jumped over the railing and landed between Bev and the vampire I growled like an animal and he growled back. I grabbed him by the neck breaking it instantly. Bev stepped back in surprise as I reached out for her to hand me a stake. She did after a moment of hesitation and I staked him turning him to dust instantly. It seemed like at that moment all the vampires left leaving just me and my friends. I turned to look at them. Bev stumbled back away from me scared. I saw it on all of their faces, the fear of me. I turned and was about to run when an arm wrapped around my waist.

“It’s okay.” a familiar voice said. I turned to see a Joe. Flashes of him yelling at me the way an older brother would yell at a younger sister went though my mind.

“Joe.”

“Yeah Non,” he said. “Let’s get you home.”

“I don’t want to hurt any of you,” I said stepping away from him. Frank came to stand next to me.

“I wouldn’t let you hurt them. Pete wouldn’t either.” He said.

“I almost killed someone earlier. I couldn’t…the smell was and the fear…”

“I know,” he said. Wrapping an arm around me.

“We know. We’ll help you control it.” Martin and Pete said stepping forward. Frank didn’t wait for me to protest anymore he just started walking me toward the entrance. I couldn’t look at Amanda or any of them really. I had lost the battle. I hadn’t been strong enough to fight Gerard. I’d lost and it cost me my humanity. I wasn’t Nonnie any more I was this monster that I didn’t think I could control.

“You will be mine, one way or another,” I heard Gerard say, but the rest of my friends accept for Frank, Pete and Martin looked as though they hadn’t heard anything.

“No…”

“Can’t you see you’re already halfway there,” he said. Then that manic laugh resounded through the night. That’s the only thing I could hear as I got into Frank’s car and he drove off toward our home.