Dead in the Water

Lessons In Vampire-ism

(Nonnie’s POV)

I stared out the window as Frank drove toward our house. I was slowly starting to remember everything that happened and tears slid down my face as I remembered what had happened only hours ago. Mikey had been turned and he wasn’t on our side. He had been part of the trap. I still couldn’t believe it only about two hours before Gerard called Mikey was at our house stitching up my arm. I immediately touched where the wound should be. There wasn’t anything-there just smooth skin. It was even softer than when I was alive. I wondered how that could be.

“Nonnie I’m sorry,” Frank said reaching out for my hand. The moment he touched me the night’s events replayed like a movie and I was the main character. I felt the pain as Gerard bit into my neck draining me then I felt the pain of changing. Until Frank snatched his hand away and gripped the stirring wheel. The car swerved on the road and I braced myself thinking he was going to crash into something, but he quickly regained control of the car.

"What the hell?" I asked mad that he almost killed us. Then realizing that he would have been too late.

"You were showing me how you were changed," he said.

"I'm sorry...I didn't mean...I..."

"Non it's okay." he reached for my hand again, but I moved away again. He pulled over to the side of the road. "He got Mikey?" I nodded.

"I walked right into his trap Frank. I knew it was a trap and I went in anyway."

"Non you didn't know that Mikey wasn't going to help you. You didn't know..."

"I knew I wasn't strong enough to fight Gerard." I said. "I should have..."

"Waited? You're damn straight you shouldn't have gone alone. You should have gotten us..."

"But if Mikey hadn't been changed and I hadn't come he..."

"He would have been dead which he is now anyway and so are you," he realized he'd hurt me and immediately tried to back track. "Non... I meant... I didn't mean..."

"I get it Frank. I screwed up big time. You don't have to keep rubbing it in. But think about this. If you had gotten the call from Gerard about Mikey would you have gone?" we both knew he would have. "Would you have wasted time waking everyone or would you have done what I did and make sure that at least one person knew you were leaving?" he didn't answer he just drove off. I went back to looking out the window. I was going to miss feeling the warm sun on my skin. I hated cold weather and here I was stuck only being able to go out at night.

"Non when we get home we are going to see what I can teach you about your abilities..."

"No," I said simply.

"Why?" I took a deep breath.

"Cause I get too distracted." I said honestly. "That's why I couldn't learn anything when you were training me to fight." I said naughty thoughts started to play in my head. He looked over and smiled at me.

"You just got changed into a vampire and were all sad and now all you can think about is sex? Damn I'm good." I smiled.

"I..."

"Don't even try to deny it." we pulled up to the house and into the driveway. Frank and I got out and he took my hand leading me into the house. I stopped at the door. It felt like the door wasn't opened. Like there was an invisible door that Frank could walk through but I couldn’t. I tried again, but I still couldn’t get into the house. Frank stood there watching me. “Non someone has to invite you in,” he said.

“But this is my house. I live here,” I said. I stomped my foot like a child having a tantrum and he started laughing. “Frank its not funny.”

“Come in,” he said. I walked into the door without any problems this time. “Aww baby its okay.” he said seeing that my eyes were starting to tear up. “I’m sorry I shouldn’t have teased you.” he ran his hand through my hair. “It’s just going to take some getting used to.”

“I hate this.” I said into his shirt.

“I know baby,” he kissed the top of my head.

“Hey,” I look around and didn’t see anyone. “Can you hear me?” I looked around again, but still didn’t see who it was talking. I mean the voice was familiar but I didn’t know who it was. “Come into the weapons room.” I pulled away from Frank and walked toward the weapons room. I knew it had to be someone on our side cause they were in our house. When I walked in I saw Patrick and Martin standing in the middle of the room.

“I told you she would hear it.” Martin said to Patrick. I looked at them both like they were crazy. “What did you hear when we were leaving the docks?”

“Nothing,” I said looking away.

“Nonnie, you know you suck at lying. Now tell the truth.” Patrick said. I rolled my eyes.

“Fine, it was Gerard. He was just saying that…I would be his no matter what.”

“Why didn’t you tell me?” Frank asked coming into the room with me.

“I thought you could hear it.” I said. “The only reason I know that you didn’t now is cause they didn’t.”

“So you have what super hearing?” Patrick said.

“I don’t know,”

“Well I guess we should get you started with feeding you.” Martin said abruptly changing the subject.

“I’m not hungry,” I said.

“That’s how we keep it under control. We don’t let ourselves get hungry.” he left the room and Frank, Patrick and I stood waiting for him to come back.

“Hey didn’t you go there to save Mikey? Where was he?” Patrick asked.

“Gerard changed him. He’s the one who caught me. Not Gerard.” I explained. Martin came back with a packet of blood for Frank and I and Patrick looked away as I bit into the plastic. It wasn’t as good as the mans blood. This tasted stale and it was cold. It still had the sweet taste but it was milder and not as good. I hated it and spit as soon as it touched my tongue.

“How can you drink this?” I asked. Frank and Martin laughed and Patrick looked over in surprise.

“Its what we have to do to keep everyone safe. To keep from losing control.” Martin took a deep breath. “We don’t feed on humans. Not ever.” I nodded my understanding and went back to drinking the stale tasting blood. “Ok so, we have a long night ahead.”

“Why?” I asked.

“We are going to teach you everything you need to know about being a vampire.” he said putting an arm over my shoulder. “Starting with persuasion.”