Dead in the Water

Home Is Where The Heart Is

(Amanda's POV)

"Nonnie, wait!" I said as she took off with Frank quickly following.

"Let them go." Martin said holding me back as I tried to run after them.

"I didn't mean it that way. It's just that..." I didn't get to finish.

"I know. She will know too. She just needs some time to process it now that everyone knows she know." Martin said making me laugh.

"I bet that was a mouthful." I smiled.

"It was." He said leaning down to kiss me.

"Well, since there aren't any vampires around, how about we head back home." I said.

"What?" I asked as Martin grinned.

"You said the word home. You called my place home." He replied.

"Well, I do need to add that girl's touch to it. Home is where the heart is." I laughed.

"Amanda, I need to tell you something." Martin said pulling me close to him. We were standing in the street close to an alley with the moonlight above us. It sort of was a romantic moment minus the dark alley creepiness of it all behind us.

"What is it?" I asked.

I need to tell you that the reason you are...Look out!" Martin said pushing me onto the sidewalk. I heard a horrible sound and a loud crashing thud as a car whizzed by hitting Martin. The car was marked for me. My heart dropped.

The car sped past and then stopped. No one got out and I didn't seem to mind. My instinct was to run to Martin.

"Martin!" I yelled as I saw him laying on the ground. "Martin!" I said seeing a small pool of blood in front of him.

He was laying face down on the ground. I carefully rolled him over. Martin had a huge gash on his head. One that would require stitches.

"Martin!" I said touching his cheek as he had some blood oozing from his mouth.

"Are you ok?" I weakly heard Martin say.

"I am fine, no thanks to you. Can you stand?" I asked.

"I think so." He wobbily said.

I looked at the car with its lights on, just sitting in the middle of the street a few yards away from us. I memorized every detail of the car. It was a fancy convertible but the top was up on it. As I helped Martin walk to the sidewalk, the top of the convertible came down. None other then Ian, himself was sitting in the driver's seat with a huge smile on his face.