Dead in the Water

Anything For You

"Very funny, Amanda." Pete said walking away from me and into the kitchen.

"No, Pete. It's true." I replied as I followed him.

Pete turned to look at me and then grabbed my shoulders. He looked in my eyes and stared at me for a few seconds which sort of creeped me out. I pulled away.

"Your eyes aren't lying. I always felt something different around you but I didn't know quite what it was. You can't die. What would Elissa do? Wait, she knows, right? I mean that's what you said when you walked in, right?" Pete asked hurt.

"She knows. I told her and Nonnie recently found out from Frank who sensed it and confronted me on it earlier when I was in the hospital months ago. She apparently overheard our conversation on the phone about it." I replied.

"And Martin knows?" Pete asked.

"Yes. Pete, look at me. I am fine." I said cupping his chin.

"Then how are you dying?" He asked confused. "Do you know when you will...?" He trailed off.

"No. I feel healthy now. That's the thing. I don't know. Remember all the times I fainted, stumbled, or was beaten up badly in a fight?" I asked.

"Yeah." He said running his hand through his hair.

"Well, I was dying. When Beckett killed me and the doctors revived me, my body couldn't handle it. The slayer in me is what is breaking down, Pete. There can only be one slayer and Erelin is it. I am just on borrowed time right now." I said.

"But I don't understand. Here you are up, walking around and you still have your powers." Pete said scratching his head.

"I know. I still have slight issues but I am fine. I can't explain it. I think it has something to do with being around Martin. He keeps me happy and smiling. I don't know." I sighed sitting on a barstool.

"There has to be something that I can do." Pete said.

"There isn't. But there is one thing, though. Don't tell the others. I don't want Erelin or anyone to know. I don't want pity or anything. I mean look at me, Pete. I am fine." I said jumping up and down.

"Ok." He smiled. "You know I love you and would do anything for you if I could, right?" He said giving me the puppy dog look.

"Yes, Pete." I said laughing as he pulled me into a bear hug.

"I won't let anything happen to you." He whispered in my ear. "Now. Tell me why you are really here." Pete said acting like a therapist.