Dead in the Water

Closer

"Pete, do you remember our conversation two months ago when you were in the hospital about Martin?" I asked.

"Um, was it how you felt something was off about him? You didn't catch him cheating as you thought, did you? I will kill him." Pete said standing up and clinching his fists together.

"No, No, nothing like that." I replied with a laugh. Pete was protective of me ever since we caught Sisky and Elissa together.

"Then, what is it?" He asked.

"Look, at my neck and tell me what you see." I said pulling my hair back.

"I don't see anything." Pete responded.

"Look closer." I said as he leaned into me closer.

"I see a scar from a previous bite wound. You mean..." Pete trailed off.

"It is healed up now but this morning it was still there. Nonnie saw it and brought it to my attention. The only person who could have done this is Martin." I sighed.

"I will definately kill him now." Pete growled.

"No, don't." I said grabbing his arm as he got up from the table.

"What gives him the right to do this to you, Amanda?" Pete asked pissed off.

"I don't know." I said.

"Have you talked to him?" Pete asked concerned.

"I tried. I went shopping after Nonnie's for therapy and when I came home he had one of his old friends over. I didn't exactly want to start a fight with company over so I packed my bags, made a fib and came here." I explained.

"Well, you are welcome to stay here for as long as you need." Pete said grinning.

"I need to talk to Martin about this. I just wish I could remember. I know he has to be waiting until I am asleep or half asleep and then he erases it from my memory so I don't remember it. But why? I mean, he is not hurting me. In fact, I feel more energized each morning. I feel healthier. How can that be?" I asked Pete.

"I don't know." He said grabbing my hand and leading me to the couch.

"I love him, Pete. How can he do this? Why would he do it and not tell me? Why is he hiding this from me?" I asked.

"I don't know." Pete said again. "But I know of a way to find out." Pete said kneeling on the floor.

"How?" I asked.

"I need you to lie back. I want you to relax and try to fall asleep. I am going to try and get into your memories. Grab my left hand and don't let go or I will lose the connection." Pete said.

"This is a little different then like seeing your memories. I remember when Martin and Brendon showed me theirs." I said.

"It's a little different and I have only done this a few times. Remember, don't let go, close your eyes and start to count down from ten to one." Pete said as I got comfortable and closed my eyes.

"Ready?" He asked.

"Ready." I said. "Ten...nine...eight..." I counted.