Dead in the Water

Chance Encounter

(Erelin’s POV)
I left Amanda and walked over to where the DJ and his crew were stationed. The music was banging and I was getting into the music. I turned every so often to look for Amanda as I danced, but she was nowhere to be found. Where was she?

“Oh, excuse me.” A dude said bumping into me and almost spilling his drink on me.

“Hey.” I said turning around.

“I am really sorry about that.” The guy replied.

“It’s ok.” I said dancing again.

“I know this is going to sound lame but has anyone told you that you have pretty eyes?” The guy asked. What was with him? I mean he was cute and all but not my type.

“Not in a long time.” I replied.

“She’s not interested. Take a hike.” I heard a voice say behind me.

“Hey I was here first.” The other guy said.

“Here you are sweetie. I have been looking everywhere for you.” The new guy said wrapping his arms around me and pulling me into a kiss.

It was that guy I saw across from the bar with the funky hat. Amanda warned me to stay away from him. He was a vampire and one who she didn’t think I could trust.

“Your loss sweetie, we could have been a great team.” I heard the first dude say.

“Thanks for the save but I think I can handle it from here. Besides I know what you are and I have been warned to stay away from you.” I said backing up a bit from my rescuer.

“Oh, so your slayer friend warned you about me, huh?” He replied rolling his eyes.

“Yeah, I am one too, so beware.” I said turning around to walk away from him.

“If that is the case then why didn’t you dust the vampire that was annoying you?” He replied.

“I didn’t have time.” I said walking with him following me.

“You didn’t dust him because you are a slayer in waiting. You do not have any powers. Yet, to other vampires they think you are the slayer as soon you walk into the room. Pretty much, you are an open target because vampires may feel that a slayer is around but they do not directly know whom one is and who is not. They just feel something if one comes near them. It adds to the mystery and protects the slayer in a way especially in this crowd of people.” He added.

“Wait, how do you know what I am?” I said searching for Amanda but not able to find her. This guy was freaking me out. Granted he was hot and that kiss earlier was to die for, well not literally.

“I saw you with your friend. I can feel things that normal vampires cannot. When I felt you two walk in, I felt you two as slayers, only when I looked deeper and saw you that I realized exactly what you are.” He said backing me into a wall.

“Ok, you did your job, now I have to find my friend.” I said glancing into his eyes. Big mistake. He had gorgeous eyes and they mesmerized me, not to mention a smile that had me melting. No. Keep it together, Erelin.

“This place isn’t safe for you. Why did your friend leave?” He asked me.

“She didn’t leave.” I said trying to move away from him.

“I can feel it. She is not in this club anymore.” The hot guy replied.

“Leave me alone. I will scream. Amanda told me you were a good vampire but that you couldn’t be trusted.” I said searching for a look or something to let me know I was wrong. Oh, I so wanted Amanda to be wrong. Even though he was creeping me out something wanted to tell me otherwise.

“You won’t scream and you need to go home. You aren’t safe here alone without your friend.” He replied.

I found a side door that led out of the club across the room. All I had to do was make it there and I would be free of this guy. I took off running across the floor and out the door.

When I made it outside, I caught my breath and tried to process what just had happened. I did not get much time though, because that same vampire that bumped into me earlier was now standing in front of me with his fangs reared. He grabbed me and I screamed.

All of a sudden, the vampire turned to dust. The mystery vampire was in front of me now and he had staked the bad vampire. It all happened so fast.

“Erelin!” I heard Amanda yell.

“Erelin. That is a pretty name. My name is Brendon and the next time we meet, I will not be able to save you. Plus, you need to stay away from me.” He replied.

“Why?” I barely got out.

“I am a bad boy and bad boys attract trouble.” The good vampire said pulling me into a kiss and then took off. I turned around to see if I saw him anywhere but he was fast and already gone.

“Erelin, are you alright?” Amanda said.

I blinked and noticed that she was not alone. Two guys and Elissa of all things were standing right beside her. “I am now.” I replied with a smile on my face.