Dead in the Water

Just Before Sunrise

We had driven to a vampire hotspot in town and parked the car. We were both on guard and decided to walk down some alleyways for awhile. It was eerily spooky this early in the morning.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have snapped at Elissa earlier." Pete apologized again.

"Pete, we have been over this." I said

"Yeah, but I got all angry because she kept what was wrong with you from me and you were the one who told her not to tell. She was just respecting your wishes. I shouldn't have snapped and I know they shouldn't but sometimes those doubts on whether she loves me always find a way to resurface." Pete sighed.

"Dude, its ok." I laughed.

"So you want to tell me why you feel a need to clear your head this early in the morning? Don't tell me its not from sleeping either. You have Martin on your mind." He pressed.

"This is going to sound weird, ok, and its a little hard for me to explain." I said blushing from being embarrased.

"It can't be that bad." Pete laughed.

"Well, its not bad. It was rather good." I nervously replied.

Pete looked at me to spill. "I tossed and turned for awhile. I even thought about calling Martin to make up to him for being so stupid. Yet, nothing. I fell asleep and had the most wonderful dream. It all seemed so real. I mean it all felt real. His kisses, his touches..." I trailed.

"Whoa! Little too much info on that one. I think I got it." Pete stopped me.

"Anyway, I didn't want it to end. Then, you guys woke me up with the arguing but there was something Martin said that sticks in my brain." I sighed.

"Oh and what was that?" Pete asked.

"Martin told me to hold on to this memory even though it is just a dream. Did he make me have that dream? Can he do that? Does that mean he had the same dream as me?" I kept asking all these questions.

"I don't know. He could have. I mean you guys are both upset right now. Maybe it was that or maybe because you guys were upset that you fell asleep thinking of each other and..." Pete didn't finish for I stopped him.

"He kept trying to apologize. I think he wanted to tell me something." I said.

"Um, I wouldn't worry about it." Pete replied giving me the feeling that there again he knew something and was keeping it from me.

"Come, on I can feel the sun wanting to start to rise. We should go back." Pete mumbled as he took my hand leading me back to the car.

"Well, well, well. What do we have here boys?" Ian sneered evilly. He had us surrounded and came out of nowhere with at least twenty of his men.

"Shouldn't it be bed time for you?" I scoffed.

"Amanda, shut up and when I tell you to run, do it!" Pete whispered in my ear.

"I know I said I would have you in two weeks and I am usually a man of my word, just ask Elissa." Ian laughed.

"Leave my sister alone!" I yelled.

"Oh, your sister will come to me eventually. But I don't want her right now. See, you are still part of the living and I want to have some fun. When I saw you out, I knew here is my chance to get what I want. The sun may be starting to rise which makes it even more interesting." He laughed wickedly.

"Get them!" He commanded his men.

Pete and I both started fighting and attacking trying to make it back to our car. I ran out of arrows for the crossbow and started fighting and attacking with what few stakes I had in my pocket. I was worried about Pete. When vampires are out and the sun starts to rise, they become weaker. Plus we were so outnumbered. Even if I wanted to try to make this fight last until the sun came up, it would kill not only all the vampires but Pete and I couldn't let that happen.

Somehow, Ian's men overpowered Pete and beat the crap out of him. I couldn't get to him because four vampires jumped me and held me down on the ground. Once they were able to bind my wrists together they pulled me up.

"Your friend over there is the perfect bait." Ian replied touching my cheek but I gathered all the saliva I could muster and spit in his face.

"Stupid girl!" He said smacking my face hard. I could feel blood drip from my lip that he busted.

"Amanda!" I heard Pete yell as Ian's men tied his hands back too and held him up.

Ian walked over to Pete looking at him and laughing. "Some protector you are. You are going to lead Elissa right to me and everyone else and they can see my new bride tonight." Ian grinned.

"Our friends will kick your sorry ass and that includes Elissa. She isn't afraid of you anymore." Pete laughed. His face looked so bruised and scratched from the fighting.

"Enough!" Ian screamed hitting Pete in the stomach.

"Stop it!" I yelled trying to break free from the ropes and vampires that held me. I could hear Pete laugh some more.

"Is that all you got?" He smiled. Then I watched as Ian knocked Pete out, hitting him hard in his face. I looked down.

"Now for you, my sweetie." Ian said walking over to me. He pulled something out of his pocket.

"It's just a little sedative to help you, my love." He said as he approached me.

"No!" I said kicking and trying to break lose but I was pinned down to the ground now.

"When you wake, things will be so much better for you." He said jabbing the needle in my right arm.

"Martin." I said.

"He won't be able to save you." Ian laughed. His voice became fainter and fainter.

"Martin." I whispered as I tried to fight off the drugs Ian injected me with but I lost the battle.