Dead in the Water

My Last Breath Until I Dream Again

Hold on to me love
You know I can't stay long
All I wanted to say was I love you and I'm not afraid Ooh
Can you hear me?
Can you feel me in your arms?

Holding my last breath
Safe inside myself
Are all my thoughts of you
Sweet raptured light it ends here tonight

Closing your eyes to disappear
You pray your dreams will leave you here
But still you wake and know the truth
No one's there

Say goodnight
Don't be afraid
Calling me calling me as you fade to black

Holding my last breath
Safe inside myself
Are all my thoughts of you
Sweet raptured light it ends here tonight
-Evanescence My Last Breath

(Amanda's POV)

"I will be here. Always." I heard Martin's words echo in my head as I ran back to Ian's huge mansion. I had to make it back to Paul. I still couldn't believe Martin was gone. There was still a huge part of me that hoped that Paul was wrong; that Martin would come to and we would still be together.

Ian is now dead. I helped kill that monster with my sister. Don't I deserve a break?

I made it back to the spot I left Paul and Martin. I looked around but saw no one. Where would Paul have gone and taken Martin? I felt like someone had torn my already broken heart into a million more shattered pieces. I couldn't feel Martin anymore but for Paul to leave and take Martin's body away from me?

"Paul?" I yelled thinking maybe he had to move because of other vampires. "Paul!" I screamed frantically searching the grounds. It was quiet.

I ran out front and down from the mansion a bit and found where everyone had parked their cars. All the cars were here but one. You could tell a van or truck of sorts used to be parked with the other cars by the tire tracks it left.

I remembered I was wearing Martin's jacket and reached into the pockets. In the left front pocket I found Martin's cell phone. I immediately scrolled down until I found Paul's number. I dialed it only to hear a recording tell me that the number had been disconnected.

Martin's phone then beeped. I looked down to see he had a message. I dialed the voicemailbox and listened to the message. It was Paul telling Martin that he didn't want to follow through on their plans. What plans did they have?

I stood with the moonlight lighting my path. I didn't know what I wanted to do. I couldn't go back to my friends at this moment. I wanted to be alone. I had all this new energy balled up inside me. How did I jump to the roof as I did? And how did I make it down on my feet?

I am not a vampire. I am a slayer but when Martin gave me his strength, he must have given me his added abilities too. What I wouldn't give up right now if I could just see him again.

I started walking down the dirt and gravel road from the mansion. I didn't care where it led me. I could now see clearly in the dark even with the moonlight to guide me. All my senses were heightened. I stopped briefly clutching my right side in pain and then my chest. My chest started to hurt as if there was a major tightness occuring. Then the feeling was gone. I couldn't place it.

Once the pain subsided , I took off running again. I didn't look back. I ran all the way to the one place I used to feel safe and that was my apartment I shared with Martin.

It didn't take me long. I had uncanny speed. When I got there, the door was unhinged and all the horrible memories of my capture and Ian invading Martin and I's home came rushing back.

I fixed the door but not the mess in the apartment. Almost everything was damaged or broken. I looked at the wall where Ian had left his message in blood. I shook my head as I walked by it and down the hall to the bedroom. I managed to find some fresh clothes, one of the items a shirt that Martin used to wear.

Then I proceeded to the bathroom to shower and wash away everything that happened. I looked in the mirror to find most of the damage had healed up nicely. I still had some minor cuts and scrapes above my eyes and on my face but I knew that by morning they would be healed. I stared for a minute after I surveyed the damage into the mirror. What was I to become now? Could I keep on slaying? Would it even matter?

I smashed the mirror in the bathroom. It was the only mirror that was left untouched by Ian's goons. I looked down at my right hand that was bleeding from the cuts of the glass. I watched as they healed. I realized that my body may heal faster but my heart was a different story.

I went back into the bedroom I used to share with Martin but flashes of me being tied up by Ian crossed my mind. I grabbed a pillow that Martin used to lay on and found my way to the couch. I crawled up on it and cried as I started to imagine Martin's arms holding me as all my thoughts of him caught up to me. His words of I love you and everything else he told me I heard over and over. I cried as I took my last breath before sleep finally took over.