Dead in the Water

Nothing Says I Love You Then A Beating Heart

I awoke to birds chirping outside and two warm arms wrapped around me. I looked around, turning my head so slightly to the left to see Pete's face nuzzled against my neck. He was out cold. I smiled until I realized something. I had just seen my chest move. My heart was beating and I was breathing.

"Pete! Pete, wake up!" I yelled excited.

"Elissa its too early for me, go back to sleep." Pete mumbled turning over as he let go of me.

"No, Pete, you don't understand. We are alive!" I said all giddy.

"Elissa, pipe it down. I'm trying to sleep over here." A groggily Patrick replied in the chair against my window.

"Wait, Patrick what are you doing here?" I asked.

"After everyone collapsed we brought you guys here. We were afraid you guys were dead but in the cars on the way over here you guys started breathing again. Pete woke up a few hours ago now go back to sleep. We had a rough night with you guys." Patrick said closing his eyes.

I looked over at the clock to see it read six am. I immediately got up and ran out of my bedroom. Everyone was sleeping on the floor or couch except Brendon, Erelin, Nonnie and Frank. Now where would they be at?

I walked over to the extra bedroom I had and tried to open the door. It was locked so I knocked. I heard mumblings and a pillow thrown at the door.

"Go away!" Erelin shouted sleepily before I heard a giggle emerge. I smiled. Well I know what they were doing.

"I will if you make sure you are using protection!" I yelled back smiling. We were all alive.

I placed my hand over my heart and walked into the kitchen to make me some coffee. Wait, I didn't have any food. I looked to see blood packets left over in the fridge. I took them out and dumped them. I wouldn't be needing them anymore.

I still couldn't find Nonnie and Frank so I hoped they woke up and were alive as well. Maybe they went out for a jog or something. Then it dawned me that Amanda wasn't here. She had taken off last night. I had to tell her I was alive but as I went to pick up the phone, I yawned heavily. Ok, so maybe a few more hours of beauty sleep could do me some good.

I walked back into my room and crawled into bed next to Pete. He rolled back over and kissed me. I rolled over and placed my head on his shoulder and hand over his heart.

"We are alive." I smiled.

"That we are." He grinned.

"Hey, pipe it down over there. I'm trying to sleep. Go be mushy love birds somewhere else!" A grumpy Patrick replied as Pete and I laughed before we fell back to sleep.