Dead in the Water

So Much For My Happy Ending

(Three Months Later)

(Amanda's POV)

"You did not go and cut your hair!" What about my wedding! It's in three days!" Nonnie yelled at me.

"I thought it was time for a change." I replied. Actually, I changed the day Martin died. I just didn't realize it until a few days after. Cutting my hair was just another step in becoming what I was; a distant killer of all those that went bump in the night.

I wasn't the same me. I died the day Martin did both literally and figuratively. I was just nothing more than an outer shell. Yeah, my soul was still intact but I was different. No more was I as caring as I was or interested in life as I used to be. Now, I was a risk taker. A daredevil that didn't have a care in the world what happened.

I did care greatly for my friends and protected them in every way, shape, and form. It's just that I had become so distant from outside life. Slaying was my calling and passion now. I just didn't care about anything else. For every vampire I killed, one person was not ripped away from the ones they loved.

I was tougher and trained nonstop to be the best. Everyone tried to get me out and I would go but it was nothing for me. I hated going out to the movies. I hated shopping, yet I would do it so my friends wouldn't have me committed.

I sold the apartment I shared with Martin. I only kept some shirts of his and the jacket I wore the night I helped kill Ian. I moved out into an apartment close to Elissa in case she needed me for anything. She always sensed I was down and tried to cheer me up but she couldn't bring back the one thing I wanted most, Martin.

Now that Nonnie and Frank were human, they were inseperable. Two weeks after our ordeal, Frank proposed. Now the wedding was to be on Halloween night. His idea, not Nonnie's. She is so worried that we are going to be attacked or something. I just laugh at her and tell her that at least she isn't getting married on a Friday the thirteenth.

"I had so many ideas for your hair! Look at what I did for Elissa and Erelin." She said snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Run while you still can!" Erelin teased. Her hair was pulled up into a half ponytail and was curled with a pretty silver clip in the back.

"I love your hair!" Erelin said hugging me. "I am so glad you made it to the pre bachorlette party."

"Thanks." I smiled. "I actually love yours too." I remembered the first night Erelin went out slaying with a human Brendon in tow. Nothing would do him but to slay vampires with her. She yelled at him to stay home because she didn't want him to get hurt. When he came over to my new apartment all banged up I had to laugh. He wasn't as invincible as he used to be and I think he learned his lesson.

"I think in a former life I was a beautician." Nonnie grinned as she showed me what Elissa's hair looked like.

"No, in a former life you were a vampire." I smiled.

"Well, someone had to go after the nasty vamps and try new hairstyles on them." She said laughing.

"You made it!" Elissa said hugging me. "And you cut your hair. Now mine is longer."

"Yeah, I like the bob." I said.

"This does nothing for me. We were all supposed to have long, flowing, pretty hair for me to fix. Now what am I going to do?" Nonnie said playing with my hair.

"I'm sure you will figure out something." I laughed.

"I think as punishment I am stripping away your maid of honor privelage and handing it to Elissa!" She joked.

"Right. As if I would care." I rolled my eyes. Everyone knew I hated weddings and really didn't want to be a part of Nonnie's but she was one of my best friends so I knew I couldn't let her down.

"Try your dress on while I figure something out!" Nonnie said tossing me my maid of honor dress. It was black and slimming. There were spaghetti straps and the dress came just right below the knees. Nonnie and Frank decided to do a black and orange wedding color theme since they were getting married on Halloween.

"By the way I hope you don't mind Bob as your escort." Nonnie smiled as I got my dress on and she started to play with my hair again.

"This is going to take alot of work but I think I can pull something off!" Nonnie replied as she messed with my hair.

"Jeeze, you would think that you are getting married tonight." I laughed.

"I want everything perfect in case vampires decide to show up at my reception or something." Nonnie replied.

"Relax. With me and Erelin, I think you guys are going to be safe. Besides vampires aren't allowed in a church and so the wedding will be safe at least."

"Shh, you!" She said pulling on my hair.

"Hey!" I snapped.

"By the way Nonnie, how did you and Frank break the news to his parents again that he was alive?" Erelin asked.

"We all ID'd the wrong person. Frank had a look-a-like and that the real Frank had amnesia who finally remembered who he was and decided to come home. Well it went something like that in a nutshell. They about died when they saw him." Nonnie answered.

"Nice story." I weakly smiled. "At least one of us is getting the happy ending we deserve."