Dead in the Water

How It All Began

“Elissa, darling, you have been seeing me for five months. I still do not see why you won’t move in with me.” Ian said.

“Ian, I told you. I do not think we have been dating that long for me to move in with you.” I replied annoyed.

“I wish you would reconsider.” He said a little hurt.

“Look, Ian, we can discuss this later, but right now, I have customers to attend to. I do work so I can pay my current rent and go to college you know.” I said kissing him on the cheek and heading back to the cosmetics section of the department store I work in.

I can never figure out how Ian always stays so cold. He says its normal for him and that he is fine but I still think he has some sort of medical condition. Maybe he is anemic or something and needs more iron in his blood.

Another thing that puzzles me about him is why he always insists that I move in with him. I have only been dating him for five months now. I mean I love him but not enough to start a life together like that. I still have to get my degree and I am not ready to bail out on my best friend, Sam, yet.

Sam has been through some rough times and I cannot up and leave her right now. Rent is high enough, and without me paying my half, she would surely have to move back in with her parents and I know how much she does not want to do that.

When my shift was over, I walked out to my car alone; there is only about ten of us who close our store in the mall. I always park away from everyone else in the mall parking lot. Walking is good for you. Tonight, however, I felt as though I was being watched as I walked to my car. I wish I parked with everyone else.

When I approached my car, I found a note and a red rose attached to it. I took the note and the rose and climbed into my car, locking the doors once I got inside. I opened the note to find that it came from Ian.

It read:

My dearest Elissa,
Please join me for dinner at Chez Rouge for our five-month anniversary tomorrow, which is Saturday. Wear the red dress I bought you the other day. You will look so stunning in it. Reservations have been made for eight-thirty that evening. See you then, Ian.

Ok, that is sweet that he wants to take me out to dinner Saturday and celebrate us being together this long but I hate red. I hate that dress he bought me. Black is more my color.

When, I first met Ian, he was not always like this. He was sweet, kind, and I met him, as he was a customer here where I work. He said he was looking for some perfume for his sister. His eyes were a dark but he had the sexiest smile I had ever seen in a long time. We started flirting, and then exchanged phone numbers. One thing led to another until we officially started dating.

Sometimes I would hang out at his place but his place always felt so dark and cold. Ian also used to not lavish me with gifts until a month ago. I tried to get him to stop but he just keeps surprising me. I do love him though and not because he buys me gifts. He has some sort of hold on me where I cannot let him go.

I drove home and carefully had everything ready for my date tomorrow evening before I climbed into bed. Somehow, I felt uneasy about tomorrow night. I am in college about to graduate, I have an excellent boyfriend, and friends and family who love me so why all of a sudden am I anxious like something bad may happen soon?