Dead in the Water

I Was Just The Rebound Girl

(Amanda’s POV)
I awoke to the sound of my cell phone vibrating on my nightstand. I rolled over to answer it. Who could be calling me at seven-thirty in the morning?

“Hello?” I sleepily said.

“Amanda, wake up.” I heard Elissa say.

“Let me guess you got the number from Pete.” I said lying back in bed. “Don’t you know what time it is?” I asked sighing and yawning.

“I do but we need to talk about last night.” Elissa replied on her end of the line.

“What is there to talk about?” I coyly replied.

“I want to know why there are two bite marks on your neck.” She said sounding upset.

“What is it to you? I am fine. I will be fine.” I replied rolling over in bed.

“Amanda, talk to me. It is important.” She said.

“Couldn’t this have waited until tonight?” I asked.

“No.” Elissa stubbornly replied.

“Fine I’ll spill but you aren’t going to like it.” I said angry.

“What is that supposed to mean?” She asked.

“Do you want to hear how or not?” I asked.

“Yes.” She said.

“Then shut up and listen.” I said, as I knew I could be sleeping in right now.

“Micah and I dated briefly.” I replied.

“He did that to you?” She said shocked.

“Are you going to let me finish?” I responded.

“Sorry.” She said.

“We dated but it was awhile after we met. I thought that Micah was into me because of me. I was wrong. Micah loved me but he was not in love with me. He loved you. I found out the hard way. You and I both know I had never had sex before. I had always wanted to wait. Well, with Micah it just rather happened. We were in a major fight and came home bloody and bruised. One thing led to another and the making love part just happened because we were so into the part that we almost died.

I wanted to know what it was like. Part of me wanted Micah to turn me. I knew that his ex had turned him when he was dying in a hospital from cancer. He wanted to fight the good fight and he knew the risks of what he would become. Things did not work out between them once she turned him, so he invested his time into becoming a better fighter. Then he met you and taught you everything. He fell in love with you and wanted to help you with your situation. When you left, you told him to watch over me.

He learned I was the slayer and trained me. We became close and as I said, he loved me but was not in love with me. His heart still belonged to you; I just didn’t know that yet.
When we were making love, he bit me as I asked. He was not going to turn me. I just wanted to know what it felt like. Everything seemed to feel different. Then for no apparent reason he called out your name instead of mine. I knew then that it was never going to work out between Micah and me. He loved you.

I am not mad at Micah. I loved him and I was a little hurt but at least I knew the truth. I do not regret losing it to Micah at all. He really is a sweet guy, who would do anything for the ones he loves. He was devastated when you left. I was the rebound girl who looked like you. We were not meant to be. I decided to grab Erelin who he helped train too and come looking for you. I had nightmares that you were in danger and I knew I had to find you. Micah warned me against it but I do not take orders lightly. I am too stubborn.

So there you have it sis. That is the whole story since you have been away for two years. There is also the part about mom I told you about last night but we will discuss that another day.” I said finishing my life story.

“I am so sorry, Amanda. I had no idea. Why didn’t Micah ever let me know?” Elissa asked.

“He was afraid to. In addition, you blamed yourself for Anna and he knew it was not your fault. He tried to talk to you about it but you always pushed him away. Then you left.” I said.

“I did love him. I thought he did me too but I was never sure at times.” She said.

“So what is the deal with this Pete guy?” I asked changing the topic.

“He is a great guy considering I haven’t known him but like for a week. You want to meet his friends?” She asked excitedly.

“You have known him for a week?” I asked confused.

“Don’t be mad but we uh, have already slept together.” She added.

“What!” I said sitting up in bed.

“It just happened. Pete and I have a connection. We share a bond. It is hard to explain but he is nothing like Micah.” She said beaming.

“Damn girl who knew you moved fast?” I said shocked but at the same time laughing.

“I don’t want to screw this up with Pete but I am afraid of Ian.” She replied.

“Don’t run. We are all here to help with that problem between me, Erelin, Pete and his friends.” I replied.

“I know.” She said. “So how about I pick you up and show you and Erelin the morgue where I get my blood?” Elissa said way too happy.

“Uh, thanks but I shall pass.” I said rolling my eyes.

“Well, I thought that could be a stop on the way to Pete’s place. You can meet all of his friends and we can go out patrolling.” She insisted.

“Ok but I think you are hiding something from me.” I said catching on to her suddenly being too happy.

“Well there is this guy, see.” She started.

“Another one? Does Pete know about this?” I asked.

“No, there is this guy at the morgue you need to meet. His name is Adam and he is a friend of ours. He supplies me and Pete with our blood.” She said.

“Of course I haven’t been in town for a few days and yet you are trying to hook me up already with someone.” I said laughing.

“I think you will like him.” She stated.

“Is that so?” I asked.

“Absolutely.” She replied.