Dead in the Water

So Much For A Quiet Evening Alone

(Amanda’s POV)
Sisky took me to an amazing dinner and then drove me to a park where we could just talk. I actually had started to enjoy his company, which was something I was dreading the other night at the morgue. He is not such a bad guy after all. It is time that I unlock my heart anyways. Not all guys are going to be like Micah.

“I came prepared, just in case.” He said pulling out a few stakes from the back seat before we left the car.

“Perfect.” I said smiling and taking them. I put one in my jacket and the other in my back pocket. Then we just started walking around the park. There were several other cars around in the parking lot. Sisky had explained that lovers like to sneak up here at night, which meant that this was a perfect breeding ground for vampires.

“Thanks for dinner. I had a really, fun time. It isn’t everyday that a guy can keep me laughing for long.” I said.

“You are welcome.” He said. “May I?” He asked wanting my hand.

“You didn’t even have to ask.” I said placing my hand in his.

We walked until we saw a playground. “The last one to the swings is a terrible fighter!” I said taking off.

“Did you forget that that I can almost keep up with you?” He said using his vampire speed and tackling me to the ground.

“That is called cheating. No vampire abilities allowed.” I said laughing.

Sisky was lying beside me and rolled over to where he could look at me. He took his hand and pulled my face a little closer to his. Our eyes locked and he leaned in for a kiss. It was a very long kiss too.

“Wow.” I said getting up, once we were done kissing.

“What? Am I a lousy kisser?” He asked looking hurt.

“No. It was wonderful.” I said laughing.

“Then why are you laughing?” He said getting up off the ground.

“I have not had this much fun in a long time.” I smiled.

“I can arrange it for more fun days.” Sisky said grinning and pulling me close.

“I think I would like that.” I said kissing him again.

We walked to the swings and sat down on them. I wanted to get more serious and learn more about Sisky, Pete, and Brendon. Why did Pete think Brendon had caused him to be turned?

“Sisky, I am going to ask you some important questions are you up for it?” I asked.

“Oh no. Here it comes, the inquisitive slayer coming out.” He laughed rolling his eyes.

“Hey! It’s my job to know about things in the city I am protecting.” I said laughing.

“Shoot.” He said.

“You said that you and Pete were turned around the same time at one of Beckett’s parties. How long have you known Beckett and what was he like before he was a vampire?” I asked.

“Beckett was one of my closest friends. We were in a band together which was how we met. It is the same as Pete and his friends. We were all once struggling musicians trying to get a break. We were almost signed to a record deal, which was a big thing for us. All we had to do was show up at this party by a record executive who turns out was a vampire that is no more thanks to Pete, and sign the papers.

I could not make it because I had family matters to attend to in Chicago. Mike Carden, William, and our drummer Andy had gone to the party to sign us. Michael stayed in Australia thank goodness and remains safe there from my knowledge.

Well, at the party it had many other bands that were told the same thing along with regular people. Mike and William were turned and Andy was killed to my knowledge because he found out what was going on and tried to warn Mike and William before they were turned.

William was a good dude. It is still hard for me sometimes to see him as a cold-blooded killer. I think sometimes, how is it that I remained good but he didn’t, you know?” Sisky said looking down as I nodded my head and placed my hand on his back.

“Mike was bad. Beckett somehow became the leader of a bunch of vampires that seemed to take over the streets. Other vampire clicks started to fear Beckett. He started calling his gang The Dandies. Mike was his number two in command until Pete killed him.” Sisky added laughing a bit.

“What’s funny?” I asked.

“Pete just went all out. He was a killing machine for a while trying to exact revenge for what happened to him. I fought with him sometimes but I had to let things go. Holding anger is not good. Even though Pete is good, having the anger inside can destroy you. I think it is something Pete is learning slowly.” He added.

“So Pete knew Beckett before he was turned?” I asked.

“Yes.” Sisky replied.

“How did Brendon become is number two?” I asked.

“Well…” He started to say when I saw a couple running for their lives and screaming for help.

I got off the swing and took off running with Sisky closely behind. There were three vampires all dressed like dandies chasing after the young couple.

“Get to your car! We got them!” I yelled to the couple. Well so much for a quiet evening.