Dead in the Water

Let's Be More Than This

(Amanda’s POV)
“Slayer.” One vampire said as I tackled him to the ground preventing him from going after the couple that fled.

“That’s right. I’m the slayer and you are in my town ruining my date.” I said pummeling him before I staked him.

“Amanda, look out!” Sisky said throwing a stake at me in time for me to catch it and turn around to stake a vampire that tried to sneak up behind me.

“Thanks!” I yelled to Sisky as I staked the vampire. I turned to see that he was fighting the third and last vampire very well. He did not need my help.

“What a mood killer.” Sisky replied smiling, with dirt all over his shirt from where he had been knocked on the ground a few times.

“So, welcome to my life. A slayer never can get a vacation or a proper date for that matter.” I smiled.

“Who says the date is still over? The night is still young and you still had some questions to ask me.” Sisky said pulling me close for a kiss.

“The questions may have to wait.” I said breaking the kiss just long enough to tell Sisky this. “I am enjoying this.” I said wrapping my arms around his neck.

After making out for a bit, we headed back over to the swings to talk more. The stars looked so beautiful from where we were sitting. It was a perfect night and not too cold.

“Where did I leave off?” I said giggling.

“You asked me how Brendon became number two.” Sisky replied.

“Oh, I forgot. I know how he became a vampire by what he showed me last night. He has the ability to do that. My question is why does Pete think Brendon has betrayed him?” I asked.

“Brendon and his friends were just starting a band when my band met them before all this chaos went down. That is how I know of him. Pete knew Brendon and his band from talking to their guitarist, Ryan, I think his name was, and wanted to get them signed. Pete and his band were already on an indie type label trying to get to a bigger label as we were. Beckett sent Brendon to invite him to the party he was throwing. Brendon was to tell Pete to gather as most of the band as he could and he would get them signed to this label by the record executive that wanted to supposedly, sign us.

Pete took the bait. Beckett called me while I was still in Chicago, telling me all about this party he was throwing and that we had made it to a big label, which was a lie of course to get me to leave Chicago. I was in Chicago for about three weeks before I flew back to attend this party. That is where I met up with Pete. I thought it was odd for Beckett to be wearing clothes he never was into before.

Brendon seemed nervous. I asked him what was wrong, and he told me he wanted me to get out of this party. It was a mistake for him to bring me and Pete there that he wanted us to try and stop Beckett, from hurting any more people, that we could do it, the three of us. I laughed and thought Brendon must have been high or something that Beckett would never hurt anyone. Brendon told me to stay put and that he would be back to get me out of here. He needed to find Pete.

After he left me, I saw Pete led off into a room with a girl. Then two big dandies dragged me into another room before I could get to Pete to tell him Brendon was looking for him. That is when I was tied to a chair and after a few minutes I saw Beckett walk in licking his lips with blood on them. I realized that Brendon was trying to warn me to leave because he did not want me to get hurt. I asked Beckett where Pete was and he told me around.

Beckett when on this kick about how he was going to have this whole town under his spell, and vampires would rule and branch out more than they were. No longer would vampires be hiding in the shadows. I told him he was nuts and that is when I started to break free from my restraints. Well, you know the rest that I was turned.

Brendon helped me afterwards. Later on that evening, I woke up in this room in Beckett’s mansion that is heavily guarded. I was confused and hungry. Brendon relieved the guards telling them that he would see that I was on their side.

He threw me a blood packet and started explaining everything to me. He told me what I was and made sure I had a soul. I was still a bit fuzzy on the details. Drinking blood comes to you as a shock but I was so thirsty and I realized I could not hurt a living human being that I was going to have to learn how to survive and control my hunger. That is where the morgue came in handy.

I had to find a job to keep my place that I lived in and food to stay alive. Pete ran into me there and that is how we started helping each other. I tried to get Pete to see that Brendon is not bad and needs help but he will not see it my way because Brendon was not able to help him as he did me. I know that Brendon blames himself, and has tried to get Pete to understand.” Sisky explained.

“Wow.” I said.

“It is a whopper.” He said.

“How do you know Frank? Do you think Nonnie will choose him?” I asked.

“I met him in the morgue. His friends thought he was dead at first and found him. I sensed that he was a vampire and tried to wake him up. I knew he was good because that is something I can do. When I explained to him what he was, and he remembered everything, he decided not to tell Nonnie. He thought he could protect her this way. He was also afraid that he might lose control if he was around her, slipping and hurting her.” Sisky explained.

“All I know is that it is killing Joe. He really loves Nonnie and if she goes back to Frank, I am afraid he may do something that will have horrific consequences.” I sighed.

“Only Nonnie and Joe can work out their problems.” Sisky sighed taking my hand.

We talked about other things such as music and movies we liked. Sisky and I lost track of time and before I knew it, it was almost three am. I dropped Sisky off at his place. He kissed me before he headed out of the car and told me he would call me tomorrow.

When I arrived home, I found Erelin asleep on the couch with her cell phone in her hand. I found a blanket and pulled it over her. Then I got ready for bed.

As I crawled into bed, I thought about Sisky and the thought of him dying and becoming a vampire. My neck started to ache where Micah had bit me and I touched the scar. I think I can finally let myself be happy again.

I drifted off to sleep. I did not get to sleep long however, because I awoke to a nightmare. I sat up and looked at the clock, which read six am. My heart was racing. I have had this same dream since I arrived in L.A. Each time something is a little different from usual. This time Ian is coming and Elissa is dead.