Dead in the Water

The Watcher

(Amanda’s POV)
“Well, I think we closed out all the shops and I can’t believe you made me chase a look alike of Orlando Bloom into a coffee shop. The poor guy probably thought we were stalkers or something earlier.” I said laughing as Erelin and I were driving home from downtown L.A. It was dark now and we had spent a whole day out sightseeing, shopping, and eating at a nice café.

“Well I can’t help it I didn’t see his face that well. He really did look like him. Besides I needed a coffee break anyway and it’s not like Orlando doesn’t like Starbucks.” She said grinning. “Besides, you love Orlando too and you would have been flipping out if it really was him.” She giggled.

“It wasn’t and for the record I do not flip out. I am perfectly calm until after I meet a celebrity, remember?” I said rolling my eyes.

“Whatever.” She said laughing at me.

“Hey, while we are out lets stop by the hospital to see Sisky.” I said.

“I thought you hate hospitals after your experience there as a teen.” Erelin replied.

“I do, but I want to see Sisky at work.” I grinned.

“And you think I have it bad with Brendon. I want to see him again, Amanda. Do you think I will ever under good circumstances?” She asked looking out the window.

“Erelin, when I kill Beckett or if Pete gets to him first I think you will have your shot. I want to agree with Brendon right now that it is just too dangerous for you two to be out together. You are not a full slayer yet.” I said hating that. I wish there was a way I could make Erelin a slayer without having to die.

“I know but I am a good fighter. I have skills. I’ve got mad blazing skills.” She said as we laughed together.

We arrived at the hospital and pulled into the ER parking lot. Once we were both inside, we headed down the halls and took the elevator that led to the morgue. I started to have sharp pains.

“Wait a minute.” I said pulling Erelin behind me and whispering.

“Why are we whispering?” She asked.

“There is a vampire here.” I said as we both were on the lookout. I took a stake out of my bag and held in my hand.

Erelin and I kept our watch and made it to the room Sisky works at in the morgue. The night shift only has two people, a receptionist and Sisky when he works. The receptionist works in an office off the morgue. I opened the double swinging doors carefully and on guard.

“There!” Erelin said pointing to a hand, she saw sticking out from behind a table.

We ran over to the table to see a knocked out and bruised Sisky. “Sisky, wake up!” I said cradling his head. He had a nasty head wound and a stab wound on his chest.

“What was that?” Erelin asked hearing a noise.

“Wait here. Our vampire is still lurking somewhere in this place. Take this.” I said handing her my stake.

“Be careful. I hate morgues.” She said as she noticed a dead person half covered up on a table in front of her.

“I will be. Scream if you see the vampire.” I said leaving her so I could snuff out the vampire. I could feel where he is but I still had to be on guard because vampires can move faster.

I walked into a room off from where I left Erelin and Sisky. There was no vampire but an open door. I walked out the door to find myself in another hallway. There were blood droplets on the floor that made a trail to another room.

I opened the door to see that it was a supply room. The vampire was definitely in here and he stank too. I went to look behind a row of shelves, when I was pushed out of the way. I reached out and grabbed the vampire that was trying to hide and escape. He turned around and cut my right arm with a scalpel, which made me let go of him.

As he took off out of the room, I noticed he had a big cooler that had to have contained blood since he left a trail. I guess he could not wait to take it home with him. In any case, that blood belonged to the hospital and not to some nasty bad vampires.

I regained myself and took out of the supply room and down the hall. I was a little slower then usual and I did not mean to be tonight. The vampire went out an employee entrance/exit to the hospital and I followed.

I looked around to see I was in an employee parking lot. Great, now I am locked out without an employee key. When I find this vampire out here because he is hiding behind something and kill him, I have to walk to the ER and make up a phony excuse as to why I am carrying their blood. Go me.

I started checking behind cars and a generator but to no luck, I could not see him out here in the dark. The parking lot was badly lit out here. Then, all of a sudden, I felt him no more. What, did he kill himself?

I looked over to my right to see the cooler of blood sitting in the parking lot next to a light pole. That is strange. I walked over to it to pick it up, looking around. This is weird. I then began to feel a presence like someone was watching me.

I picked up the cooler and watched as I made it back to the employee entrance. I hated being watched and I knew it was not Brendon this time keeping his distance. No, this was a different vampire. Everything happened so fast and this person must have been the one to kill the vampire I was trying to find.

Why were they keeping their distance? Were they a new threat sent to watch me or was it a new friend? My head began to hurt thinking.

I reached into my pocket and grabbed my cell phone. I dialed Erelin’s phone hoping that she turned it on. My phone beeped to let me know I had some messages but I was not worried about them right now. My main concern was getting back inside with the blood before it got bad and patients could not use it.

“Amanda?” Erelin asked.

“Hey, it’s me. The vampire is toast so you have nothing to worry about now. Is Sisky awake?” I asked.

“Yes, you want to talk to him and where are you?” She asked.

“Actually, I am standing outside an employee entrance to the hospital. Can he let me in? I think I am being watched.” I replied.

“We are on our way.” Erelin replied.