Dead in the Water

Follow The Sound Of My Voice

(Amanda’s POV)
“Where am I?” I asked. “Am I dead?” I asked lost in a void.

“You aren’t dead yet but I am going to make you wish you were dead!” I turned to see Beckett charge towards me. Suddenly I was back in that alley, the alley where I lost control.

“Follow my voice. He can’t hurt you if you follow my voice.” I heard a male voice say. It seemed so familiar.

I ran into a side alley, which led me into a hospital corridor. Am I dreaming? This is all too weird for me.

“In here.” I heard him say as I stopped walking and turned to see a hospital room with the door cracked slightly. I pushed it open and walked inside. I looked down to see myself wearing a hospital gown and I saw myself in a mirror. I was seventeen again.

“He doesn’t know that you are still alive. He thinks you are dead by now. That Beckett as you call him was just your nightmares trying to mess with your head.” The voice said from behind me. I turned to see that it was the boy from when I was in the hospital with pneumonia.

“I’m dreaming? I’m not dead?” I asked.

“No but you almost did. You are not totally out of the woods yet. Your body is in a coma and you rejected the first transfusion.” He explained. Why could I not remember his name?

“Are you a figment of my imagination or something then to help me get better?” I asked.

“Not exactly a figment but I am here to help you.” He said. Why did you let Beckett bite you?” The boy asked.

“I didn’t plan on him biting me the way he did. I wanted him to bite me but I thought I could heal fast enough. I wanted my friend Erelin who is the next in line to be a slayer to be safe. I figured if I sacrificed myself and help arrived in time then Erelin would become a slayer, and not be harmed by Beckett or any vampire for that matter. My sister and Erelin is all I have besides my new friends I met from my sister. I wanted to protect Erelin. I thought at the time I was doing the right thing. I just did not realize that Beckett has the power to paralyze and that was my downfall. I couldn’t move or break free.” I explained.

“I never stopped thinking about you after you left the hospital. You didn’t leave your number or anything. You helped me get better when I was sick and the doctors thought I was not going to make it. Are you dead and like a ghost haunting me or something but in a good way?” I asked confused and changing the subject on why I was in the hospital for.

“Not exactly, but I can’t explain that right now.” He said patting the bed for me to sit down.

“I remember when I had the relapse and the medicines quit working, I was running a fever that night before you left. You sang to me. The doctors were amazed the next morning how I pulled through that night. I knew it was because of you.” I smiled. He did not say anything but gaze into my eyes.

“I must be crazy thinking you up in my head, whatever you are. But at least I can say thank you for helping me through one of the rough times of my life.” I said.

“It isn’t over with. You have a battle ahead to survive now. You are a fighter and you will come through.” He said kissing my forehead.

Then, just like that, he was gone. I was back in that void of a place. Why can’t I wake up yet?
I heard the boy’s voice again but it sounded a bit different. It sounded more grown up. Why could I not see him?

“Amanda, I couldn’t stay back then, but I can now. You are a hero to me. I want to keep you safe.” He said in my ear. I wanted to speak but nothing would come out of my mouth.

“Ok, I want to wake up from this coma now!” I screamed at nothing.

He picked up my hand and I felt it. That same connection I felt when we were together, sparked through me. I wanted to wake up so badly to look in his eyes.

He kissed my hand and then I felt him move towards my left ear again. He kissed my wound along the way and then started singing in my ear the same song he sang to me when I had pneumonia. Then he grazed my lips and then kissed me. It was like nothing I had ever felt before but only I had along time ago. Just like that, he let go of my hand and was gone.

I felt my left hand start to move. Then, I heard my sister’s voice. “Amanda, you’re waking up!” She said excited and then screaming for doctors to come in the room.