Dead in the Water

Leave Out All The Rest

I awoke to find myself in a dark room lying on a bed. I tried to sit up but failed miserably from the pain. I grabbed my side and felt a bandage was on my wound. I was looking around in the dark for anything. As a vampire, we have excellent night vision. I still felt weak however, from the loss of blood I had.

“Hey, take it easy there.” I heard a voice say.

“Ouch!” I said as I quickly sat up on guard.

“Here, drink this.” The voice said as a light came on and I saw Pete beside me handing me a coffee mug filled with what looked like blood.

I looked at Pete a little confused. He was offering me blood and I know he caught me when I blacked out but he still tried to attack me the other night when he realized I was a vampire. In addition, it did not help I was speechless right now.

“It is ok. It is blood mixed with something to help keep you from not wanting blood that often. You lost a lot and need to gain your strength back.” He said as I took the mug.

“Thanks.” I managed to get out before gulping down every bit of blood that was in the mug.
“Why did you do this?” I said looking down to see my shirt raised up a bit, revealing the bandage I felt.

“You saved Patrick’s life. He is one of my friends and for that I owed you.” Pete said leaning back against a dresser.

“Why did you attack me last week?” I asked.

“Why didn’t you finish me off last week?” Pete asked studying me.

“I don’t kill vampires who are like me. Besides you helped me.” I replied as I sat the coffee mug on the nightstand beside me.

“So you just like to pin them down and kiss them?” Pete said pressing for me to say more.

“It was a thank you. It won’t happen again.” I said trying to sit up to where I could move to the edge of the bed.

“Oh, really?” Pete said starting to get on my nerves.

“Look, buddy. You haven’t even told me who you are or where I am and I thought I told you that I…” I said falling back into Pete’s arms as I tried to get up off the bed.

“I know you work alone.” Pete said finishing off my sentence as he carried me and sat me back down on the bed. “Sit.” He ordered.

“Look, I know your name is Pete. I heard your friends call you that last week.” I said wincing in pain from my mistake. I knew the wound would heal here shortly now that I had some fresh blood in my system.

“If you know my name then I think you ought to tell me who you are and why you fight against your kind.” Pete said as I looked into his eyes. He was so beautiful.

“My name is Elissa and for the record it is not my kind. I told you I am like you. We are in a group of vampires who are good. We have our souls. You can’t feel me? I thought all of us good vampires could pick each other out. That is how I found out about you that night in the club. I felt you walk into the club and I knew I was not alone in this city.” I said explaining things as Pete sat down on the bed beside me.

“No, I can’t feel you. To me you are another vampire I feel.” Pete said moving in a little closer.

“Maybe you need to focus harder.” I said staring into his lovely brown eyes.

He had me mesmerized. I could not take my eyes off him and I wondered how he had this effect on me. I wondered if he even noticed.

“How can I focus harder?” He said staring into my eyes now and leaning his head closer to mine.

“I don’t know.” I said with our lips almost touching.

Then without hesitating, our lips met and we swept away into a passionate kiss, I was not expecting to happen. We both felt something and then as if reading his thoughts, I heard the name Beckett in my head and pulled away. Apparently, he heard my thoughts as well.

“Who is Beckett?” I asked as he asked me, “Who is Ian?”