Dead in the Water

Dangerously Close

(Amanda’s POV)
I woke up to a splitting headache. I sat up half out of it and realized I was not at home in my bed. Instead, as I focused my eyes and looked at my surroundings I was in an apartment of sorts. I was sitting up on a couch. Last night was kind of a blur.

I grabbed the back of my head to feel a bandage. I pulled it off and felt my head. There was no wound at all but the bandage would have suggested otherwise with the blood on it. It is a good thing I heal fast as a slayer and that last night/ early this morning my body decided to use that ability and not make me suffer as it did when I dislocated my shoulder. I do not understand why my body is shutting down the way it is. I heal one minute and then the next I do not. If I am truly dying, how can this be?

Then everything that happened last night hit me all at once. I did not dream of seeing Elissa and Adam together naked, it actually happened, which means that Ian attacked me and threw me against the building. A vampire also picked me up and I was now in his home. I feel it now that I am fully awake.

I looked around the living room and saw my exit through the front door. I heard water running and realized my rescuer/kidnapper was in the shower. He was a vampire but he was good. I have learned that although a vampire may have his soul and be good it does not necessarily mean he is very good either. I checked my neck to find that there was no bite marks so that was a good sign.

This feeling was strong I was getting from him and maybe he is using one of his abilities against me to hide him but this feeling feels so familiar as if we have met before. Why can’t I remember him and place him?

As I went to get up from the couch, my legs were a little wobbly still and I fell back down. I heard the water from the shower stop, and I knew I had to make my way out of here before he comes to check on me. I got back up to head to the door but as I did, I heard a door open from behind me and I froze.

I turned around ready to attack but instead saw my kidnapper wearing nothing but a towel. It is funny what you pay attention to in only a few seconds. His hair was a brown color and was messy from where he had towel dried it. I noticed a tattoo on his right arm under his shoulder and he had all these charm necklaces on around his neck. If I had not known any, better I would say I was blushing slightly.

“You are awake.” The vampire said.

He looked familiar. Why is he doing this to me? I know he is making me forget who he is. I know I have seen him before but cannot place him. Even his voice is familiar. Where have I heard it? Think, Amanda, think. Do not let him distract you.

“Don’t come any closer.” I said backing up slowly.

“I’m not going to hurt you.” He said realizing he was wearing only a towel. “In fact let me put something on and we can talk. If you feel safer, there is the door. I am not keeping you here against your will.” He replied turning slowly to head down to his bedroom I was guessing.

I looked at the door then back down the hall he had gone. Should I stay or should I go? As much as I wanted to run out of here, I was compelled to stay. After all, why did he save me and why was I here? He did look strangely familiar but different. His eyes had me and there was only one other person who could stare at me as if they could see into my soul and it was…

“Good you stayed.” He said wearing jeans now and pulling on a t-shirt over his head and distracting me from my thoughts. He looked so hot right now, I could not think straight. Who is this vampire? I noticed I was still in the same spot as I was when he walked into his room.

“Who are you?” I asked.

“Are you hungry or thirsty? I have some food for you here if you want it.” He replied.

“Answer my question.” I snapped as he walked into the small kitchen that was connected to the living room.

“My name is Martin and I am here to help protect you.” He replied as he suddenly walked back into the room I was standing in and stopped in front of me dangerously close.