Broken Hearted on the Mend

Chapter 10

Rhiannon's Point of View

Carlisle had informed me that I was to stay in the hospital for four weeks so that he could monitor me with the right tools. The bruises started fading, but really slowly. Edward came to visit often so that we could discuss the makings of my case. I had pressed charges against my uncle and he was currently in a jail cell. I had heard that he was furious and complaining to sue the state for false imprisonment. I hadn't given over the evidence yet because I wanted to be out of the hospital first. Edward tried convincing me to hand over the evidence for the first two weeks that I was in the hospital. Bella brought me my homework for me to do so I wasn't bored at all.

Emmett stayed with me every night because I still didn't feel safe without at least one person in the room with me. Carlisle had a female doctor do a rape kit on me and when I went through that Bella and Leah were there for support. Our friendship was growing now that all secrets were out in the open. I felt lighter and healthier since I had told them of my biggest fear and nightmare. It was now the last day that I would spend in the hospital itself, but I had to stay at home for another four weeks because Carlisle wanted to make sure that all of my injuries were completely healed and then I wouldn't get ridiculed as much.

He did tell me though, that I would probably be wearing a walking boot up until two weeks before Senior Prom. I was a little relieved that I wouldn't have to wear it for prom, but if that was the case, then there was nothing I could really do about it. I was sitting up the hospital bed when Esme entered the room. Her expression worried me because it looked like something hadn't gone well. She had been trying to
adopt me ever since I had told everyone what my uncle did to me.

"Esme what's wrong," I asked concerned.

"Carlisle and I can't adopt you," she said sadly.

"Why not," I asked.

"Because there is still another living relative of yours that has the right to adopt you first before we can," she answered.

"You must be talking about my Aunt Lorelei," I said quietly.

"Wait, the lady that came to our door after Emmett brought you home beaten up from the hospital," she asked.

"Yes. She's my mother's sister, but truthfully I don't want to live with her until I graduate high school," I replied.

"How come you didn't mention that the day she stopped by," she asked confused.

"Mainly because she's just as bad as my uncle; I mean she probably wouldn't beat me like my uncle does, but she would still punish me too severely for doing something wrong or doing something that isn't up to code with her rulebook and I can't live a life like that," I answered truthfully.

"Well, I'm not giving up on this adoption," she said firmly.

I smiled and we hugged before she left. I couldn't wait to get out of the hospital; even though I had stuff to keep me from getting bored hospitals are very dull. Sometimes while I would be doing homework and class-work I'd watch the channels on the television in the corner of my room. Some of the shows that I watched were really funny and interesting.

There was one called Superstars of Dance where eight countries competed in three categories of different styles of dance for the title of Superstars of Dance and a trophy. I loved the Russian Judge because he always had some funny remarks when he judged. I, of course, was rooting for the US to win, but some of the other countries had some really good dancers that were really talented and even if they were kicked off of the show I was pretty sure that they would still go pretty far.

Another show, called Howie Do It, was a hidden camera prank show sort of like Punk'd, but not really. This one had Howie Mandel as its host and they had better material that was funnier than Punk'd ever was. It was on tonight when I was sketching in my journal that Emmett had brought me and he had walked in to me laughing so hard. The show had gone to a commercial brake just before he walked in and I was still laughing at the prank Howie had pulled on unsuspecting people. He had seen me laughing so hard, but I hadn't noticed him walk in at all.

As I calmed down to finish my sketch of something that I remembered from when I was in California. It was a sketch of a small park that was by my house. It had a small lake, a trail that you could ride a bike on or take a jog or walk, and it also had a small playground. It was a little hard to recall the memory, but so far I believe that it was going alright.

"What are you drawing," I heard a male voice asked.

I jumped about fifty feet in the air at the suddenness of the voice.

"Emmett, you scared me. Don't do that again," I said trying to calm my heartbeat.

"Sorry babe, but what are you drawing," he asked again.

"Oh, well just a small park from where I used to live," I answered not looking up.

"What's so funny by the way," he asked.

"This show I'm watching," I replied still sketching.

"And what is this show called," he wondered walking over to my bedside.

"Howie Do It," I answered putting the finishing touches on my sketch.

Emmett sat down on the chair by my bed, but because he was so tall and muscular he still
towered over me, that I was completely amazed. I noticed that he was trying to peak at my drawing so I held to my chest and smiled devilishly at him.

"Awe, Rhiannon why can't I see your pictures," he whined with a smile on his face.

"Because I'm not ready to show you," I said.

"But why not," he asked.

"Well because I have one more to do tonight and then you can see them," I replied.

"Oh and what is this drawing going to be of," he asked.

"You'll just have to wait and see," I said.

"Fine," he grumbled.

I just smiled at him. He stood up and walked towards the window and just stood there and looking out. I don't know what he was looking for, but the scene was just perfect. I pulled my sketch book away from my chest and began to draw furiously. I wanted to be done with the outline before he moved because it was a perfect pose to sketch. I've always wanted to draw Emmett because of his perfect features. He was the perfect formula of a perfect drawing.

I normally put color to my sketches, but this one I don't I was going to. I looked back up at Emmett was smiling for an unknown reason that I couldn't place, but it didn't bother me because I was so wrapped up in my drawing of Emmett that I didn't even realize that two people had entered the room, the same two people who would ruin my life forever or at least try to.

"Who the hell are you," Emmett asked suddenly.

I looked up to see two slightly darkened silhouettes standing by the door. They were eerily pale, sort of like Emmett and his family, but something was off about them.

"I asked you once and I'm only going to ask you one more time; who the hell are you," Emmett growled again.

"Now Emmett is that any way to talk to the people who can easily end your life," a wicked female answered.

"What the hell do you want," he growled.

"We are here to carry out our orders. We would have two more with us to help, but they perished by your hands," the second figure said, but it was male.

"Go back to Italy and stay there," he hissed.

"Emmett who are these people," I asked.

"They are horrible people who need to be dealt with, but not at the present moment," he answered me a little defensively.

I was confused now. Something was off about Emmett and it made me wonder if he was still keeping something from me. Now wasn't the time to ask and I knew that. The next thing shocked me. Emmett was cowering on the ground and shaking in so much pain that it was uncanny. His lips were locked tight trying to prevent screaming. I looked up at the female who was smiling as if she was seriously giddy about something. I knew immediately that she was trouble. Within minutes though Emmett had stopped writhing in pain, but instead he looked as if he was in a daze and couldn't see or hear a thing.

"Stop it, stop it now," I almost screamed out.

"Who are you young lady," the female, who I figured to be Jane.

"I'm a friend of Emmett's now stop it please," I begged.

"Jane, Aro and Caius are going to be very interested in the fact that the Cullens have befriended yet another human," the male said.

"Yes Alec, they will. Before we go let me do one thing," she said.

She turned that creepy, giddy smile on me. I stared back at her as if it was supposed to hurt or something, but it didn't. She just looked rather creepy and eerie. I wanted her to stop because it was a little unnerving.

"Damn," I thought I heard her mutter.

"Jane is everything alright," Alec asked.

"I'm fine. Aro will be rather interested in this human as well. Let us go before the rest of this disgraceful clan, or as they like to call themselves, family show up to do something about us," she said rather quietly.

They left just as fast as they had showed up. I was about to get out of bed when Carlisle came into the room. He saw Emmett on the floor and immediately helped his son towards the chair.

"Rhiannon what happened," he asked me.

"I'm not sure. I was drawing in my journal when two people showed up and started talking to Emmett. He didn't know who they were at first, but then started calling them something. The female one started smiling at Emmett and he dropped to the floor writhing in pain it seemed like, but no sound came from his lips. Then the male looked at him and his senses seemed to be completely cut off. It was totally eerie and odd," I answered.

"Alec and Jane," a voice from the door said.

I looked over to see Edward standing where the Alec and Jane were a few seconds ago. His expression was pure hatred as if just saying the names made him want to really gag.

"How do you know," I asked.

"The way you described the attacks on Emmett," he replied.

"Edward do you know the reason why they came here," Carlisle asked.

"I do. Months ago when Bella and I first arrived Alice called to tell me that the Volturi were coming for Rhiannon, but I think she was wrong about that first. They were after Emmett because he destroyed Felix and Demetri after they had destroyed…..," Edward stopped suddenly.

"Who did they destroy," I asked my curiosity peaking.

By now Emmett seemed to be able to regain his senses and he was the one who answered my question.

"I came to Salem, Massachusetts four years ago because I was running from bad memories. My permanent home has been Forks, Washington for some time, but I lost someone I truly loved. I thought that she was my other half, my soul-mate like Bella is to Edward or like Esme is to Carlisle. Ever since I've met you though, I've been second guessing that entirely because I feel so protective of you. Carlisle changed me into a vampire because I had almost died from being attacked by a bear. I was saved by a beautiful blonde angel. Her name was Rosalie Hale. I might have been her other half, but she wasn't truly my other half.

Felix and Demetri are part of the Volturi Guard, which is a group of vampires who are ruled by three ancient vampires. This guard of vampires goes around and keeps order to the human world and make sure that humans don't know that we exist. If a human does find out the clan that slipped up has two choices to choose from, either kill the human to end the risk of exposure or turn the human into a vampire. As I said before, or rather as Edward had started to explain, Felix and Demetri destroyed Rosalie. I stood by and watched in complete shock. To this day I don't understand why I didn't jump right in and help her. Rosalie and I have been married numerous times, but all of those marriages are now meaningless because she isn't coming back.

In order to kill or destroy a vampire you have to dismember them and then burn the pieces. A few weeks after Rosalie had been destroyed the anger that had been repressed by shock sparked through and I went after Felix and Demetri. I successfully destroyed them both. Then the grief poked its ugly head through and I couldn't stay in Forks until I could finally come to terms with the fact that she was gone," he explained.

"So have you come to terms with that," I asked.

"I have and I was planning on moving back to Forks four days after graduation, but I met you," he replied a small grin creeping its way onto his face.

"Why is meeting me stopping you from leaving," I wondered.

"Because I love you and I don't think I can live without you," he stated.

I was shocked by that statement. Emmett couldn't live without me and he loved me. Did I love him or did I just think I loved him? I wasn't sure. All the times that he stayed with me because I was scared made me happy. He protected me the best way he could without blowing his cover of not being human. Maybe I did love him and maybe I didn't. My head started to pound from too much thinking. I looked down at my drawing that lay abandoned in my lap.

The picture of Emmett standing by the window looking as if he was lost in thought was only half finished. I picked up my pencil and started finishing it because I wanted Emmett to know how I felt, but I couldn't tell him through words. Drawing and writing became my main ways of communication ever since I have moved here because it has helped me with my grief and my fear of my uncle.

"Rhiannon," Emmett asked.

"Just a minute," I said and continued to sketch.

Carlisle and Edward stood back in the corner of the hospital room and Emmett had stood up from the chair and was headed over to me.

"No, don't move stay there," I said a little too harshly than I meant.

He stopped dead in his tracks. I looked over at him and his expression was one of sadness. I felt my heart crack from that expression. He must think that I'm rejecting him after he professed his love for me. That wasn't true at all. I looked down at my drawing and put the finishing touches on it. I went to the bottom of the page and signed my name. Then I started writing little hidden letters throughout the sketch. I learned this from the book called The Tenth Circle by the same author who wrote Change of Heart. I loved the idea of a hidden message in a drawing. When I was done I ripped it out carefully and then looked at Emmett.

"Come here, I want you to see something," I said with a smile.

He started walking towards me curiosity all over his face. I couldn't help but laugh at him.

"What are you laughing at," he asked me.

"You," I replied with a smile.

"Why," he wondered.

"Because you are hilarious," I said.

He didn't say anything. Instead he just sat down in the chair next to my bed. I thought about making him wait longer, but then I figured that, that would be too harsh so I didn't.

"Okay so I'm giving you this drawing and I hope you like it," I said handing him the drawing of him by the window.

He took it and stared at it. I stared at his face waiting for his reaction. I hoped he liked it. I took pride in my sketches. If one was rejected I knew that I would shut down entirely.

"Rhiannon, it's wonderful. I love it," he suddenly exclaimed.

"Did you figure out what it says," I prompted.

"What it says," he asked looking at me confused.

"Yes, there's a hidden message in it and I thought that you would find it by now," I teased him.

He looked back down at the drawing and I knew he found it because I saw his face completely light up with a huge grin. He dropped the drawing and it fluttered to the floor and he practically hugged me to death.

"Emmett I can't breathe," I huffed out.

"Oh, sorry," he said pulling away a little too fast.

I gasped for air, but not as if I was choking. It was a good gasping. Emmett sat down in the chair again. Something kept nagging my mind though and I wanted Carlisle or Edward's opinion on it. I just didn't know how to approach the subject. It turned out though that I didn't have to.

"Emmett, when Jane was using her gift on you did Alec use his as well," Edward suddenly asked.

"I think so. I mean for a few minutes I couldn't see, feel, hear, or smell. It was freaking me out a little," he answered.

"Rhiannon are you alright," Carlisle asked me.

I looked at him and I guessed that he must have seen my troubled expression to address me. I hesitated before I answered because I was still unsure at what Jane was supposed to have done to me. It was seriously unclear to me and it was making me annoyed that I couldn't figure it out.

"Well sort of," I finally said.

"What do you mean," he asked gently.

"Well, before Jane left she turned her hideously creepy smile on me as if it was supposed to do something to me and I've been trying to figure out what it was," I answered lightly.

"You mean her gift didn't affect you," Edward blurted.

"No, was it supposed to," I asked.

"Well Jane's gift is to cause pain. Her smile activates it. She makes her victim believe and think that they are in serious pain," Edward explained.

"Really and has it not worked before," I wondered.

"The only other person it hasn't worked on is Bella," he answered.

I let this sink in a little. Bella and I had something in common.

"Did it work on her when she was human," I asked.

"No," he answered simply.

I nodded my head. I deduced that Jane was dangerous and so was her brother or was it her mate. I wasn't sure, but the devil twins as I liked to call them were dangerous and they could do seriously hinder everything. Carlisle and Edward left soon afterwards, but Emmett stayed as usual. I fell asleep with him holding my hand. My world was just getting crazier and crazier by the minute, but the odd thing was, was that I loved it. I loved the danger and the thought of running from it or the thought of adventure made me smile in my sleep because it seemed like fun.