Broken Hearted on the Mend

Chapter 11

Unknown's Point of View

I absolutely hated driving, but it was the only sure way for me to have a car when I got to my destination. In fact, I'd rather take a train or a plane then drive. I had to see my sister. It was important. I hoped that she was alright because if that bastard of an uncle hurt her then he was going to pay with his unworthy life. My aunt knew that I was coming, but I was hoping that I wasn't too late. She actually called me to come and take in my sister. She wouldn't remember me because I was so much older than her. Being almost 37 years old, I still didn't know what to do with my life.

I had gone to college and graduate school. I have a degree in English so I could become a teacher, but I'm not even sure if that's what I want to do. My job gave a month off to sort things out with my family. I loved where I worked too. It was at a huge law firm and I wasn't that high up in the offices, but I didn't care. In fact, they actually offered to put me through law school to get my law degree so I could be a paid lawyer. My job consisted of working as a secretary for one of the best lawyers in the state of New Hampshire. He loved how I did my job so much that he told me if I went through law school then he would automatically promote me to a better position. I was still trying to decide if I wanted to go back to school for another four years. I told my boss that I would have my decision for him when I got back from my mini vacation.

Now that I was driving towards Salem, Massachusetts I had to figure out a way to see my sister. Actually, she's not really my sister, more like my step-sister, but I didn't care. I still cared for her and I still wanted what's best for her. When I had gotten word from my aunt that my mother had died I was devastated. I didn't get to say goodbye. When I was seventeen though, I had done almost the same thing that my step-sister did. I wasn't the best kid to raise because I had my own fights with my mom. My father didn't give a damn about me because he had left when I was only two.

My step-sister's father had raised me so he was more of a father figure and it hurt that he had been killed. I actually had done a lot worse than my step-sister because I had actually ran away when I couldn't handle things. It was about two months before I was to turn 18, but I didn't care. It was one of the only times that my father had been unreasonable to me and I was fed up. I didn't want anything to do with him. Since then I've been on my own and neither one knew where I had ended up. I had actually thought about going back to California and apologizing, but every time I got into my car to drive to the airport I always chickened out. I was afraid that they wouldn't want me back in their lives. My step-sister hadn't even been born yet, so technically she wouldn't even know me. I didn't want to freak her out, but I didn't know what else to do.

The one thing I did know that I was going to do was get her away from the bastard I was forced to call uncle. Maria had been married once before Kyle. His name was Derric and he was the best uncle I had ever known. He died at an early age though from a brain aneurysm. Maria had been devastated, but then Kyle had to show his ugly face. When I first met him, and I was one of the first people to meet him because I had been on good terms with my aunt before I had ran away from home, something was off about him. I had warned Maria every time that I had seen her. She didn't take me seriously at first, until one day she had driven all the way to New Hampshire and to my apartment with bruises and a twisted ankle. I wanted to pummel the guy, but she had told me not too because he didn't know that she was there.

She had come and visited me many more times after that and told me that my step-sister was going to be living with her. That was when I had given her the locket. I had told her that if anything were to happen to her then she was to give the locket to my step-sister. Inside were a picture of our parents and a picture of me when I was younger. I wasn't sure if the picture of me was still in there or if Maria had changed it out for something that my sister would probably remember more. I was really excited to see Maria again because it had been a long time since I last saw her. It had been about four months, which was odd for her because she always came to visit at least three times a month. I missed her company because she was a lot of fun to talk to. I needed her advice on what to do about the rest of my future and I knew that she would be the best person to ask.

I looked at the dark road ahead of me and my headlights finally flashed over a sign that said Welcome to Salem with a witch on a broomstick. I couldn't help but smile because it was such a cliché thing for them to do. I remembered learning all about the Salem Witch Trials when I was in high school. It was a very interesting topic to discuss and it always had brought up huge debates within the class that ended in tons of laughter before the bell. I drove farther into Salem and passed the high school. It was late and I wanted to find a hotel, but for some reason I couldn't. It was as if there weren't any at all. I finally came to a small cottage home on the outskirts of the forest. I parked my car and turned off the headlights. I was tired and I was hoping that whoever owned the cottage would be nice and
let me stay one night before I went back towards town to find a hotel.

I got out of my car and headed towards the door. I knocked and waited patiently. I was a little disheartened that no one answered right away, so I was going to knock again, but just as I raised my fist the door swung open to reveal a beautiful young lady with dark tanned skin and raven black hair that reached her waist.

"Can I help you," she asked.

"I'm sorry to bother you at such a late hour, but I'm visiting for about a month and I can't seem to find a hotel. I'm really tired and I was just wondering if I could stay one night and then I'll be on my way," I asked politely.

"Sure come on in," she said with a beautiful white smile.

"Thank you so much, I really appreciate your hospitality," I replied with a smile of my own.

"No problem. I was the same way, until I just said screw it and had a few friends of mine that I'm visiting build me this house," she said.

"Interesting," I said nonchalantly.

She led me through a narrow hallway towards the back where there were two bedrooms. One bedroom door was closed, so I guessed that one to be hers. The other door was wide open and sported a medium sized bed and a rather small dresser. I didn't really care I was only staying one night. The color scheme was dark and light blue mixed rather beautifully. I was stunned.

"So who are you visiting," she asked.

"My step-sister, she's living with a man that I don't think is best for her, so I'm here to try and convince her to leave and come live with me," I replied.

"If you'll excuse me I need to go make a phone call," she said with a small smile.

"Of course," I said and she left down the hall again.

I heard the front door close lightly and then I sat down on the bed. I was suddenly not as tired as I thought I was. I wanted to know what I had said to make this young girl need to make a sudden phone call, but then I realized if I had asked then that would be overstepping my stay and I didn't want to do that. I lay back against the pillows and looked up at the ceiling. I wanted to go to sleep so badly, but I just couldn't. Something was nagging at my mind that wouldn't stop. Something horrible and I had to find out what it was.

Leah's Point of View

I had just been about to go to bed when I heard a knock on my door. I froze because I knew it wasn't a damn bloodsucker because it had been one of them they would have come in through the kitchen door. I was still a little angry at Bella for asking me of all people to come out here to try and help with Rhiannon, but when I had gotten to know her my attitude sort of changed. I wanted to tell her my secret, but I knew it was against the rule books. Well maybe it hadn't been because I wasn't under Sam's control anymore, but Jacob's and he was a much more lenient Alpha then Sam ever was.

It was nice not having to look inside Sam's head anymore because I was still upset that he had dumped me for Emily. I wasn't angry and bitter as I used to be though and I think that I owe a little of that relief to Rhiannon because when I had told her my troubles at school she seemed to understand a little better, or just well enough to give me such great advice.

I finally had decided to open the door and to my surprise there was a man standing there. He seemed to be in his late thirties. He was rather cute looking, but I didn't feel that connection that I was still looking for. Oh well. He had dark brown hair and coupled with his light blue eyes made him even more stunning then when I first saw him.

"Can I help you," I asked.

"I'm sorry to bother you at such a late hour. I was trying to find a hotel, but couldn't. I'm visiting and I'm tired. If it's not too much to ask could I just stay one night and then I'll be on my way," he asked rather politely.

I hesitated. If my mother was with me she would probably have slammed the door in his face because she didn't know him. I certainly didn't know him, which was why I hesitated. I looked over at his car and then back at this man. He seemed rather polite so I made up my decision.

"Sure, come on in," I said with a smile.

"Thank you so much, I really appreciate this," he replied with his own smile.

"It's no problem really. I mean I was in the same situation a few months ago, but then it turned out that my friends that I was visiting had built this place for me so I didn't have to stay
in a hotel," I told him.

That was the truth too. I had met with Edward and Esme the first day that I had arrived here ready for them to take me to a hotel, but instead they took me here. I couldn't stand being in their presence because they reeked horribly, and I already knew I reeked to them so the feeling was mutual, but it was harder for me because I still needed oxygen to live, where as they didn't. I led him down the hall and towards the two back bedrooms. I only had two, which I've always wondered about, but I guess I don’t need to now. Actually, Rhiannon sometimes comes and stays with me so she uses that room also. I was actually curious as to why he was here.

"So who are you visiting," I asked curious.

"My step-sister, she's living with a man that I don't think is best for her, so I'm here to try and convince her to leave and come and live with me," he answered.

"If you'll excuse me I need to go and make a quick phone call," I said a little nervous.

"Of course," he said and then entered the room.

I went to the kitchen pulling out my cell phone at the same time. Once there I dialed Emmett's number. Not that I was completely thrilled about talking with the bloodsuckers, but this was important. I had to make sure this guy wasn’t going to harm Rhiannon in any way, because his answer to my last question reminded me so much of Rhiannon's situation. I just had to double check.

"Hello," he answered after the third ring.

"Emmett it's Leah," I said.

"What's going on," he asked seriously.

"I have a house guest who's here in Salem to visit his step-sister whose situation seriously reminds me of Rhiannon's," I replied in a rush.

"Have you asked the name of his step-sister yet," he asked.

"No, I wanted to know if Rhiannon had a step-brother or a half-brother," I asked.

"Hold on let me ask her," he said.

"Not if she's asleep," I scolded.

"She's not," he said.

"Fine, I'll wait," I said agitated.

I waited for about thirty seconds until Emmett's voice returned.

"Well," I prompted.

"Rhiannon said that she didn't know for sure. It's been so long that she doesn't know if she does," he answered.

"Damn, I don't what to do if he says that Rhiannon is his step-sister," I said.

"Well, you could try and stall him," he said.

"I'll think of something I guess," I said and then hung up.

Alright so I had some thinking to do. I did my best thinking when I was a wolf, but I couldn't phase because I had a house guest. When the Cullens built the cottage they made the living room large enough and with little furniture as possible so that I could just sit in my wolf form indoors. Not that I minded the outdoors, but Salem wasn't known for wolves roaming its forests, let alone super large ones like myself. I sat down on one of the chairs that were in the living room.

My head needed clearing, but I wasn't sure how to clear it unless I was in wolf form. I sat in the chair staring into space hoping that, that method would help in some weird way in clearing my mind. I pulled my legs up underneath me and curled into a ball in the chair. I don't remember falling asleep, but apparently I did.

Unknown's Point of View

I couldn't sleep. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't sleep. Something was offsetting my mind and I couldn't place it, but I knew I had to figure it out. My sister could be in danger. I pulled out the tracking device that kept tabs on the locket. The little red dot that was blinking was coming from deep inside the forest. I decided to go and see where the dot would lead me just in case I needed to have the police back me up. I got off the bed and went towards the living room. The first thing I noticed was my hostess curled up asleep in the chair. I smiled at that because she looked so peaceful and beautiful at the same time. It was sort of a shame that she was ten years younger than me, otherwise I would probably actually date her.

I looked down at my left hand and at the ring finger where I still wore my wedding band even though my wife had left me for some other man. It hurt that our marriage only lasted two years, but I still loved her. I was hoping that she would come back to me, but she never did and it has been four years since my divorce. I still don't understand why I wear the band, but I do. I walked towards my hostess, whose name I still didn't know, and picked her up gently.

I opened her door and laid her down on her bed. After I pulled the covers over her I was about to walk out when I stopped at a picture of my hostess and another girl about maybe two or three years younger than my hostess. She had light brown hair and her eyes were similar to mine, except that they had a steely grey look to them. Around her neck was the locket. I left the room quickly and gently closed the door. I had to find the girl in the picture. She was my step-sister, or rather half-sister seeing as though her mother was my mother.

I slipped on my sneakers and headed out of the front door as quietly as possible. I looked at the tracking device I had and noticed that the red dot was still blinking, which was a good sign. The only thing that I could think of doing right now in order to talk to my sister was kidnap her and I didn't want to do that, but if I had to then I would.

Emmett's Point of View

"I'm not going hunting," I said angrily.

"Emmett, we are all going hunting. Nothing is going to happen to Rhiannon for a few hours," Esme pleaded.

"You don't know that. The minute we leave something could happen to her," I countered.

"Emmett none of us have been able to hunt for the past few weeks because we all worry about Rhiannon," Bella said.

"You don't understand, I'm not just worried about her safety. I'm worried that she won't trust me anymore when she wakes up and I'm not there by her side," I argued.

"Em, she's not going to hate you for quenching your thirst. Besides, after you hunt at least a few animals you'll feel a lot better and not have to hold your breath around her," Edward said.

"How do you know I hold my breath, maybe I'm not holding my breath," I scoffed.

"Emmett we have all noticed that you feel a little uncomfortable around Rhiannon because we all do. We need to hunt and we are going to hunt. Rhiannon will understand," Carlisle interjected.

I was now in the woods with the little family that was with me and we were hunting. I didn't want to go; I was too worried about the one I loved. She was special and she needed me by her side while she slept. She had been brought home today and now she was sleeping in my bedroom. The first deer that I devoured I did feel better. Not much, but I did feel better. I was relieved to finally quench the irritation I had been feeling in the back of my throat for the last few weeks.

I was actually not that uncomfortable around Rhiannon. Without hunting for so long I've actually been able to deepen my self-control on the monster within. I ate a couple of more deer and then stopped in the nearest clearing to wait for my family. We had all gone our separate ways and were told to meet in the clearing that we had first come to. I had been waiting for about a few minutes and then everyone showed up. We ran back towards the house and I immediately went up to my bedroom to see Rhiannon.

It was still slightly dark out and she wouldn't wake up for another few hours. I opened my door and walked in. The bed was empty and I could smell the faintness of chlorophyll that was still permeating the room. I slammed my hand against the wall.

"Emmett, what is going on," Bella said immediately by my side.

"Someone took Rhiannon because we just had to go hunting," I growled.

"No one foresaw this. Alice is in Forks watching Renesmee," Bella said.

"If you didn't make me go hunting with you this wouldn't have happened," I said.

"We will get her back Emmett," Bella said.

"No, you are all staying here, I'm going alone," I replied.

Before anyone could stop me I left the house. I wasn't good at tracking anything, but then again I've never tried before. When I had killed Felix and Demetri it was by chance that I had come across them while they were cleaning up some mishaps. I had just gotten lucky. This time I was actually searching for something. I had grabbed Rhiannon's journal that she always drew in and took off. I had to find Rhiannon before anymore harm came to her.

I couldn't lose the only other person I've ever loved. Rhiannon was special and I knew that. I would seriously hurt myself if anything happened to Rhiannon before we graduated and I could take her back to Forks with me to meet the rest of my family. I had to get her back or I would go crazy and I didn't want to become another depressed vampire. My family wouldn't be able to handle it again and I knew that I wouldn't survive another frozen heart break.