Broken Hearted on the Mend

Chapter 12

Rhiannon's Point of View

I had woken up to a darkened room. It wasn't familiar so I knew I wasn't in Emmett's room. Something was off. I felt the fear start licking its way up my spine. I thought that my uncle had broken out of prison and kidnapped me, but the room didn't even look like it was even part of my uncle's house so I didn't even know where I was. I wanted answers, but most of all I wanted Emmett. Only he could make me feel safe and protected, but Bella and the rest of them did also. It was Emmett, though that really seeped through the most. He managed to worm his way into my heart and help mend it. I wasn't sure if I helped mend his broken heart, despite that it was hard as stone. Bella had shown me pictures of Rosalie and she was just beautiful.

She also told me Rosalie's story and how she became a vampire. At first I was horrified at what Rosalie's fiancé did to her, but when Bella told me that Rosalie had gotten her revenge I actually smiled at that. I wish that I could have met Rosalie, but I knew that if I did I probably wouldn't have been alive today because she probably wouldn't like me at all. My eyes were clouding over and it was hard for me to see as I fingered the locket around my neck. One of the only pictures I had left of my parents and my Aunt Maria. A single tear fell down my cheek as I remembered the bloody mess my aunt was in the last time I saw her alive. It was a devastating thing to remember, but sometimes I couldn't block it from my mind. A few more tears fell down my cheeks and I brought my hand up to wipe them away. I wanted to go home and home was with Emmett.

"I see you've finally woken up," a kind voice said from the far corner.

"Who's there," I whimpered.

"I'm not going to hurt you," the voice answered.

"Who the hell are you," I demanded.

"I wish I had figured out another way, but I didn't and I'm sorry," the voice said.

"Tell me who the hell you are right now," my voice raising a few pitches.

"Not now. Right now you need to listen to my story," the voice said.

"Like hell I do," I scoffed.

"As if you have nowhere to run," the voice countered.

"How do you know," I asked.

"Your leg is in a cast and there are no crutches or wheelchairs around," he answered.

I almost forgot about my damn leg. Right now though I didn't care if I injured it even more because I all I cared about was getting the hell away from this psycho who kidnapped me. I had to figure out some way to get out of this place wherever this place was. I struggled against whatever I was on into a sitting position.

"Would you please let me explain myself before you judge me," the voice asked.

"Why so you can beat the crap out of me or rape me, I don't think so," I growled at him.

"I'm not going to hurt you I promise," the voice said.

"I don't trust people with no name," I hissed.

"Fine you want to know my name," he grunted.

"Yes," my voice rising again.

"Okay fine. My name is Justin Hart," he said.

"How the hell do you have the same last name as me," I demanded.

"Hart is a common last name among a lot of people, but I have the same last name because my mother was Emma Hart," he said.

My breath caught in my throat at the mention of my mother. Tears pricked at the corners of my eyes. I hadn't heard anyone speak her name since her death because I was too afraid to speak it myself. I still blamed myself for her death no matter how many times that the Cullens and Leah tell me that it isn't my fault. If I hadn't been such a bitch to my parents then maybe I wouldn't be here right now and awaiting my uncle's trial.

"How do you know my mother," I asked quietly.

"She's my mother. She was my mother before you were born. She had me when she was 18, but my rotten father left her when I was two. She met up with your father, who adopted me as his own son. When I was seventeen I went off on my mother and step-father. I felt like I was suffocating so I ran away. I moved from state to state until I made it to New Hampshire. I found out that Maria was staying in Massachusetts so I called her up. At first she was happy, and then she sort of stopped calling and coming up to see me. I got worried until one day she came to my doorstep all battered up. I was angry, but I helped her get better.

When she called me and told me that our parents had died and that you were going to live with her, I grew a little worried, but I couldn't do anything because the legal system had no record of me. After I had turned 18 I had changed my name to Ethan Corday. I've made a name for myself at one of the top law firms in New Hampshire, not as an attorney, but as an awesome secretary," he explained.

"You're lying," I whispered.

"I'm not. If you don't believe me then ask me a question about our mother, our father, or Aunt
Maria and I'm pretty sure I could give you an accurate answer," he answered.

"Fine, then tell me what our mother's favorite movie is," I asked.

"Her favorite movie was Never Been Kissed with Drew Barrymore," he answered.

When he answered the question I realized that he was right. I would come home from school sometimes to find her sitting on the couch watching Drew Barrymore going through high school a second time around. It was rather funny and cute to see my mom watching such a sappy love story at three in the afternoon.

"How did you remember that," I asked shocked.

"I may have ran away when I was seventeen, but I remembered a lot about the family I had left so long ago," he replied lowering his head.

We sat in silence for awhile until it became a little irritating so we talked some more. He told me about his four years in the military and how it helped him get his life on track after two years of messing up. His GI Bill helped put him through college and get him the job that he has now. He told me about his wife who dumped him for some other man. I was a little appalled by that.

The more I got to know the brother I didn't know I had, the more I came to trust him. He had gotten off of the chair that he was sitting in and walked over to me. Just as he was about to hug me though the glass that was somewhere in the dark shattered. Emmett was standing in front of me with an angry look on his face. Justin didn't have time to move out of the way before Emmett shoved him, which sent him flying against the wall.

"Don't touch her," he growled.

"Emmett stop this right now," I said touching his arm.

He turned and faced me and the look in his eyes made me cower back towards the wall.

"Rhiannon what's the matter," he breathed heavily.

"Your eyes, there completely black," I said fear combing down my spine.

"It's alright, they do that when I'm worried or angry," he replied walking closer to me.

"Emmett you didn't hurt him did you," I asked.

"Did he hurt you," he asked me avoiding my question.

"No, he only kidnapped me so that we could talk, now answer my question did you hurt him," I asked again.

"If he hit the wall he might have just been knocked out," he answered.

"Emmett, why did you come here," I asked.

"Because I was worried about you and thought that your uncle was the one who had
kidnapped you. I wouldn't have been able to live with myself if anything happened to you,"
he said touching my bare arm.

"Emmett, I just found out that I have an older brother. Can you please take us home," I asked putting my arms around him.

"Of course," he said.

He left me by the wall and went towards Justin and picked him up into his arms. He was out cold. I climbed onto Emmett's back and held on with a death grip. He jumped out of the window that seemed invisible before and running. Halfway home or at least I thought it was halfway home, I had to close my eyes because the force of the wind became too much for me to handle.

"Rhiannon, sweetie, time to open your eyes," Emmett whispered in my ear.

I opened my eyes one at a time to find myself cradled in Emmett's arms. I moved my head to see Justin lying on the couch still out cold.

"Is he going to be alright," I asked.

"Yes, he should be fine Rhiannon, but please explain why you asked Emmett to bring your kidnapper back to the house with you," Carlisle said.

"He's my half-brother," I said.

"I called and asked if you had any siblings," Leah said a little angry.

"Leah, I answered the question Emmett asked me truthfully. I didn't know if I had siblings, because my parents never talked about another kid," I replied getting irritated.

"Rhiannon, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have started to go off like that, please forgive me," she apologized.

"Aw, Leah don't beat yourself up, it's okay," I said with a smile.

"So, what's mister kidnapper's name," she asked.

"His name is Justin Hart, but he changed his name to Ethan Corday when he ran away from home at seventeen," I replied.

No one spoke for awhile. It seemed as if they were deep in thought. I looked back up at Emmett who had a shadow of sadness in his eyes. It puzzled me, but all of a sudden I yawned from exhaustion. The next thing I knew I was laying next to Emmett in his bed upstairs. I was wrapped in a large blanket so I wouldn't freeze to death in Emmett's arms. I smiled as I drifted off to sleep.

Justin's Point of View

I woke up to bright overcast morning light in my eyes and a throbbing headache. I sat up slowly and realized that I wasn't at the old abandoned warehouse that I had taken my sister to last night. I was in a medium sized old Victorian white house. The inside was decorated lavishly and beautifully.

"Aw, the alleged kidnapper is finally awake," a soft, velvety voice said from behind me.

I whipped my head around to see two makes staring at me. One was tall with blonde hair. His eyes were a golden topaz color, which I found rather odd. He was rather fit and young looking. The other was tall, slim, but muscular. He had the same golden eyes, but he had bronze colored hair that looked like he never combed it.

"Oh, he's awake, time for questioning," a female said from another corner.

Again I whipped my head around to find three females staring at me. One of them was the one that had put me up for the night. I felt guilt slide its way through my body when I saw the anger plastered on her face. The second female was medium height with medium brown hair and the same golden eye color as the two males. The third female was slightly shorter than the brown haired one with caramel hair color and golden eyes as well. The one who shared her home with me the previous night though was the only one out of the people in this room at this moment to not have those odd golden colored eyes. I lowered my head out of guilt because they most likely thought that I was a horrible person when they didn't even know me.

The bronze haired male let out a small gasp of surprise and I looked at him with confused eyes. I heard footsteps coming down the stairs and turned my head towards the stairway. Rhiannon was being carried down the stairs in the arms of a huge muscular man with dark curly hair. I felt my eyes widen at the sight of him. I looked at his eyes, which unsurprisingly were the same golden color as the other four that had them. I was confused because I had never seen anyone with golden eyes before. I did however; catch a glimpse of someone with pure red eyes, and that was a little creepy to see. She didn't see me, but I had seen her and boy did I shudder at the sight of such a person.

"Rhiannon are you okay," I asked looking at her.

"I'm fine Justin, calm down," she smiled at me.

I watched as the big muscular guy put Rhiannon in the wheelchair that was hidden on the
side of the stairway. I grew worried at the sight of the wheelchair.

"Rhiannon, why are you in a wheelchair," I asked.

"Kyle gave me such a great birthday present," she said sarcastically, which earned her a couple of small glares from the muscular one and the brown-haired female.

"Oh, Bella you know I'm being sarcastic," she reprimanded the brown-haired one.

"That's not something you should joke about though," Bella countered.

"Did you see me laughing or smiling about it," she asked.

"No," she mumbled.

"Alright then, anyway, Kyle, our uncle gave such a wonderful birthday present. He was nice to me until I got home from school. The minute I walked in the door he beat the shit out of me and broke my ankle in two places. Once he was done with that he decided I was too weak to fight back, which I was so he raped me," she told me in two breaths.

"What, he raped you," I asked incredulous.

"Don't sound so surprised. If he was beating Aunt Maria up the way he was, I didn't put past him to do something as heinously related to sexual abuse," she said.

"Rhiannon, when can you be mobile," I asked.

"It's up to Carlisle," she replied.

I looked around the room and the blonde stepped forward.

"Let me introduce you properly to my family and friends," he said kindly, "My name is Dr. Carlisle Cullen, my wife Esme is next to my son Edward's wife Bella who is standing next to a friend of ours, named Leah. My other son Emmett was the one who brought Rhiannon downstairs," he finished the introductions.

Finally, I could put names to the faces.

"Alright Dr. Cullen, when can Rhiannon start walking again," I asked him.

"Please call me Carlisle, but Rhiannon should be able to walk in the next two weeks, which
is when I have to leave back to Forks, Washington," he answered.

"Fine then, Rhiannon in two weeks you're coming to live with me in New Hampshire," I said.

"No," she stated simply.

"Excuse me," I said.

"You can't come here expecting me to move states when I graduate in a month," she said.

"I'm trying to protect you from our uncle," I spat.

"I don't need protecting from you because I have Emmett and his family," she said.

"For all you know they could hurt even worse than uncle could," I said my voice raising a couple of pitches.

"You don't even know them Justin and you can't make me do anything now that I'm eighteen," she yelled at me.

"Rhiannon, as far as I know about Massachusetts state law even if you are eighteen, but still are in high school then you still need a guardian of some kind," I stated.

"Don't spin your legal crap on me I already know that shit," she said breathing heavily.

"Rhiannon, I'm the only one you have left that can offer you a safe and secure home," I replied trying to stay calm.

"Wrong, you aren't the only one I have left," she countered angrily.

"Who else do you have then," I asked.

"You must have forgotten Aunt Lorelei as another blood relative, but I don't plan to stay with her either," she said.

"Then who do you plan to be your guardian for another month," I asked.

"Esme Cullen," she replied simply.

That hit me like a slap in the face. It was like our little talk late last night didn't mean a thing to her. I wanted to get to know her more and understand the pain that she hid from the rest of the world. The only way I could think of doing that was taking her back with me. I had a steady job that could provide her with a safe home environment. Then something clicked in my head.

"Who's Aunt Lorelei," I asked suddenly.

"Mom's sister or did you not remember," she said narrowing her eyes.

"Mom didn't tell me that she had a sister," I said.

"That's because Lorelei is a joke. She doesn't give a rat's ass about me or the family because she's an unstable drunk who is also a psychotic bitch," she said.

That explained things a lot. Although I do remember seeing pictures of our mother standing next to another young girl who seemed at least a year or two older than her. I also remember asking my mom who she was, but she always had found a way in not explaining it to me.

"Justin if you're worried about Rhiannon's safety with us, we can guarantee that she will be safe. She's such a wonderful student and the months that I have known her, I already think of her as one of my daughters," Esme said gently.

I let my head fall into my hands so that I could think better. My headache was still pounding and with the argument that I just had with my sister made it worse than before. Someone tapped me on the shoulder and I looked up to see a glass of water and two aspirins held out in Edward's hand as if he had read my mind. He just smiled at me and went to stand next to his wife. I downed the aspirin and water and set the glass on the coffee table. I didn't know what to do here. I wanted Rhiannon to be happy, but I also wanted her to be safe.

"Justin if it's any consolation to you I'm representing Rhiannon in trial against her uncle," Edward said.

"How long have you been practicing law," I asked.

"A few years," he answered.

"How old are you," I wanted to know.

"I'm 30," he said smoothly.

"Did you pass the Bar Test for this state," I asked.

"Actually, I've passed the Bar Test in three consecutive states including this one," he replied just as smoothly as before.

That shocked me. My boss had showed me one for the state of New Hampshire and they looked really complicated.

"Alright, I'll withdraw myself from the adoption case if you are sure that Aunt Lorelei will do the same," I said.

"Really Justin, you mean it," Rhiannon said excitedly.

"Yes I do. You obviously seem really happy with the Cullens and I won't be the one to ruin that happiness," I said with a smile.

"I'd hug you right now, but I can't walk," she said happily.

I got up off of the couch and walked over to my sister. The minute I was down to her level she pulled me into a huge hug. I was happy that I could keep my sister happy. I pulled away from the hug and sat back down on the couch. The atmosphere seemed to feel a little lighter after I withdrew myself from the adoption case.

"Rhiannon, would you promise me something," I asked.

"What Justin," she asked.

"Would you at least invite me to your graduation ceremony," I asked.

"Of course I would. Did you think that I wouldn't," she asked.

"Yes," I mumbled incoherently.

"What was that," she asked.

"I said yes, I didn't think you would invite me since you don't know me that well yet," I said.

"Justin how could you think something like that," she asked me with a wry smile.

"Well, I only thought that because you hardly know me and I didn't think that you would really want me there," I said lowering my head as if I felt guilty.

"That's rather stupid of you," she said mockingly.

The room fell silent just then and it became rather awkward and unpleasant.

"Hey, you never told me how long you were staying," Rhiannon said after a long bout of silence.

"I have an entire month off from work," I answered.

"Really, why so long," she asked.

"I didn't know how long I would need to sort out this adoption process," I admitted.

No one said anything to that so we fell into silence again. It was rather unnerving, but also sort of unpreventable when everything that we had needed to discuss was already discussed between us. I still didn't find a hotel, which sort of was a bummer because I didn't think that Leah would still want me as a house guest after the little stunt I pulled at kidnapping Rhiannon last night.

"Well, I better get going because I need to find a hotel so that I can sleep and then start the long drive home," I announced.

"Wait, Justin don't go so soon," Rhiannon piped up.

"I'm not needed anymore so there's really no reason for me to stay," I said bluntly.

"So you're just going to leave. After all these years, you don't think I deserve to at least get to know the half-brother I didn't know at all," Rhiannon cried.

I could see tears starting to form at the corners of her eyes and I felt horrible. I wanted to get to know her as well, but I didn't want to interfere with her new family either.

"Tell you what, when you can walk again we'll schedule a weekend that starts Friday morning until Sunday where you come and visit me in New Hampshire," I said.

"Okay, it's a start," she said a small smile forming in the corner of her mouth.

I walked towards the door, but just as I reached it I realized that my car was still at the abandoned warehouse from last night.

"I hate to ask, but could someone take me to get my car from the warehouse please," I asked.

"Actually Justin, Bella brought it over last night while you were asleep," Edward said nonchalantly.

"Oh, thanks Bella," I said.

"My pleasure," she smiled at me.

I left the house and when I got into my car I found a detailed map that pointed me towards a hotel nearest to the freeway that would take me home the next morning. I was so grateful for the Cullens and I couldn't understand why I hadn't seen the hotel before when I first came to Salem, but I brushed it off. It was the thought that counted with them and I knew that Rhiannon would be really happy with them. I backed out of the driveway and made my way towards the hotel.

The hidden sunlight was just setting when I pulled into the parking lot of the hotel. It was lavish and exquisite. It actually looked like a hotel that, even with the job that I had, I wouldn't be able to afford such luxury. I sighed and just as I was about to pull out of the parking lot I noticed something sticking out of the back of the map. It was a note with an attached key card of some sort.

Here is the key to your hotel suite. Hope you enjoy the one night, or unless you would like to stay longer just let the Concierge know and he will re-bill the credit card that this room is under. Don't ask questions, just have fun.

Cordially yours,

The Cullens


I was amazed at what the note said because I didn't realize how wealthy the Cullens were. Now I was happy that I didn't try and keep myself on the adoption case because obviously Rhiannon had a much better financial support system with them than she ever would with me. I didn't mind because to be truthful, I wasn't sure how I would handle looking after a high school teenager even if it was for one month. The suite was huge and matched a little alcove from the downstairs lobby. I put my stuff down next to the dresser and then plopped myself onto the bed. The minute my head hit the pillows I was out like a light.