Broken Hearted on the Mend

Chapter 13

Rhiannon's Point of View

Carlisle left a week ago. I was now out of the wheelchair and cast, but I had to wear a walking boot for another week and half. The best part about the boot was that I didn't have to do gym class. I loved sitting on the sidelines and referring the games the way I thought that they should be referred because it was something that entertained me. When I wasn't referring the student versus student games I was reading a book or drawing. Emmett was going on a family hunt this weekend and I told him that I would take the chance to hang out with my brother. He agreed as long as I kept my cell phone on at all times so he knew that I was safe. The day before I was to go to my brother's place though, the police dropped by for a visit while everyone else was out.

"Can I help you," I asked fear starting its slow course through my body.

"Are you Miss Rhiannon Hart," one asked.

"Yes, how can I help you," I asked.

"You are under arrest. You have the right to remain silent and a right to an attorney. Anything you say can and will be used against you in the court of law," the other one said.

"Excuse me," I protested.

"We have a warrant out for your arrest for assisting a Mr. Kyle Johnson in the murder of Mrs. Maria Hart," the officer with darker hair.

I couldn't say anything. I was handcuffed and then walked out towards the police cruiser in the driveway. I had literally been stunned into silence. When I had been released from the hospital I had brought forth the evidence that I had kept from the police. Obviously, they thought that I had been assisting my uncle rather than being so shocked that I had run with the evidence.

The entire ride down to the station I couldn't help, but feel as if this had been a setup by my uncle so that he could maybe switch places with me. I didn't know how he could have found out that I had the butcher knife with me. They couldn't prove that I had touched the knife because I had worn gloves and made sure to keep my uncle's fingerprints on the knife completely intact. I had to call Emmett and I had to call him soon. He would know what to do. Once at the station I was processed and then put into a holding cell.

"I want my one phone call," I asked.

"In ten minutes," an officer grunted back.

"No, I want my phone call now and if I don't get it I will sue this police force for misconduct in one's rights," I yelled.

"Hart you have ten minutes for your phone call," the guard outside my cell said.

I had made sure to memorize Emmett's number and I was seriously glad that I did because they had confiscated my cell phone, which pissed me off. I dialed his phone number and hoped that he would pick up right away. The phone rang three times before a voice answered.

"Hello," it was female.

"Bella," I asked.

"Rhiannon what's wrong," she asked.

"The cops think that I helped my uncle in murdering my aunt," I cried into the phone.

"You mean you're in prison," she wondered.

"Yes, can you guys come and set things straight please," I asked.

"Of course, we'll be right there. Oh and Emmett wants to talk to you," she said.

"Okay," I sniffled.

"Rhiannon don't be afraid," Emmett's smooth voice tried to soothe.

"I'm not afraid, I'm pissed off because they have it all wrong and they won't listen to me," I said.

"Edward will come with us since he's your attorney for this case. If they take you in for questioning do not say anything until Edward arrives," he said.

"Of course I wouldn't say anything until he arrives. I know all about the legal system and how it's supposed to work from all the reading I've done," I answered.

"Alright then, stay calm and above all stay silent," he said.

"Okay, and Emmett," I said.

"Yes," he asked.

"I love you," I whispered into the receiver my face blushing ten different shades of red at the same time.

"I love you to and I will see you very soon," he said.

We hung up the phone and I was led back to my solitary holding cell. I was silent the entire time except for when I asked for some paper and pencil, which was denied because they figured I'd use the pencil to kill myself or something. I wanted to read; no actually I wanted to draw because it helped take my mind off of things. About thirty minutes after my phone call I was led out of my holding cell and into an interrogation room where two detectives were sitting. One reminded me so much of Kyra Sedgwick of The Closer and the other made me laugh inside because he reminded me of Denny Krane from Boston Legal. I thought it was funny.

The officer that had led me into this room forced me to sit with handcuffs around my wrists, which were digging into my skin, rather hard. I glared at him, but he just ignored me.

"Miss Hart do you know why you're here," the woman asked.

I didn't answer.

"My colleague asked you a question," the man repeated sternly.

Again I didn't answer. I was told not to by my attorney so I wasn't going to disappoint.

"If you don't answer then we will be forced to put down in the report that you did help your uncle murder your aunt," the male said.

I shot him a glare, but kept my lips sealed shut. I was wondering when Edward would show up and just as if he were reading my mind or something the door opened and Edward filed into the room followed closely by Bella and to my delight Emmett. I was about to jump up out of my chair to try and hug him, but Edward told me not to with a quick shake of his head.
I slumped into my chair.

"Who the hell are you people," the man asked.

"My name is Edward Cullen, these are my assistants Bella Swan and her intern Emmett McCarty," Edward answered.

"Well, what are you doing here," the woman asked.

"We are here to represent Miss Hart in her wrongful arrest about aiding her uncle in murdering her aunt," he replied simply and smoothly.

I looked at him and noticed that the right side of his mouth was curled up into an almost hidden sneer as if something he was hearing wasn't pleasant or if something he smelled wasn't pleasant at all.

"Fine take a seat while we question your client," the man said.

"Aw, but first we must learn the names of the good detectives who brought in the bad, bad criminal," Bella said sarcastically and I fought to hide a grin spreading on my face.

"My name is Detective Torres and this is my colleague Detective Brendan," Detective Torres stated briskly.

"Good afternoon to you," Edward said politely, but I could detect a note of annoyance in his voice.

"Now that your attorney is here Miss Hart will you answer our questions," Detective Brendan asked.

"I will answer the questions on her behalf because she is emotionally unstable to talk about the night that her aunt was murdered," Edward interrupted before I could speak, which surprisingly was exactly what I had been thinking. I didn't want to talk about it unless forced to. I looked at Edward and he just gave me a swift nod of the head as if he understood. I just smiled at him.

"Fine," Detective Torres said sounding irritable.

"On the night of Maria Hart's murder where were you exactly," Brendan asked.

I leaned towards Edward who leaned towards me and I whispered him the answer I wanted him to say.

"My client tells me that she was at the home being beaten when her aunt walked in. Her uncle dropped her onto the floor and then she went up to her bedroom. From there she proceeded back downstairs with a video camera in her hand to get good evidence against her uncle. She videotaped her uncle getting the butcher knife and then stabbing her aunt in three different places," he answered.

"Why did you take the butcher knife from the scene of the crime," Torres asked.

"My client says that she was frightened and didn't know what to do so she bolted with the knife," Edward replied.

"Why did you wait so long in giving us the incriminating evidence against your uncle," Torres asked.

"Rhiannon's answer to that was that she was afraid that her uncle would link her back to the leak of information so she waited, which prompted her in collecting more incriminating evidence for you," Edward answered.

"What other evidence," Brendan wondered.

"The evidence that showed Miss Hart's injuries that she acquired daily from Mr. Johnson up until he was arrested on her eighteenth birthday," Edward stated.

"What does this evidence entail exactly," Brendan asked lightly.

"Pictures of every single bruise that Miss Hart acquired from Mr. Johnson," Bella answered instead of Edward.

"Excuse me Miss Swan, but only Mr. Cullen is allowed to answer the questions," Torres said.

"Actually, my client says that either Bella or I can answer the questions as we see fit," Edward said.

"Miss Hart are you positive that Mr. Johnson is a danger to society and to your life," Torres asked me.

I nodded my head vigorously at this question because my uncle did nothing but beat me up. Sometimes I felt that I was actually going to die each time he laid a fist or hand on me.

"Miss Hart, on your eighteenth birthday, you claimed that Mr. Johnson raped you, but when we talked to Mr. Johnson he said he did no such thing, is Mr. Johnson's statement true or false," Brendan asked.

I looked at Edward incredulous that they would ask such a question to a rape victim. It was as if they thought I was making the whole damn story up. I had pictures and a videotape that proved my uncle was a horrible person and if they couldn't believe the cold hard facts then I don't know what the hell they would believe.

"My client adheres to her first statement from when she was in the hospital where she accused and pressed charges on Mr. Johnson for raping and abusing her," Edward said flatly.

"Do you have proof that he raped you," Brendan asked.

"Are we on trial or what, can't these questions be saved for the actual trial against Mr. Johnson," Emmett interrupted from the dark corner.

"Sir, if you can't control your behavior then we are going to have to ask you to stand outside and wait," Brendan said quietly.

I looked at Emmett, who was looking at me. I wanted him to stay, but he turned on his heal and left the room. I slouched even further into the uncomfortable, hard-backed chair. I felt a cool hand on my shoulder and looked up to see Bella standing behind me with a warm smile of support on her face. I couldn't even force a fake smile to appear on my face. I wanted Emmett, but apparently he couldn't handle the fact that I was under questioning.

"Alright, Miss Hart you are free to go for right now, but if we have any further questions we will stop by, the bill for your false arrest will be withdrawn and we are truly sorry that it came to arresting you," Torres said gathering her papers while Brendan did the same thing. I was about to stand up so that the officer could remove the handcuffs and then I could change back into my clothes, but Edward's cool hand on my arm made me stop. I looked at him confused.

"Why, now," he asked.

"Excuse me," Detective Torres asked.

"Why do you all of a sudden believe my client is telling the truth," Edward asked again.

"Well for starters, at this moment we have no solid evidence that proves that Miss Hart really did help her uncle in the murder," Detective Brendan answered.

"And what happens if you do find the evidence that might link her into helping her uncle commit murder," Edward asked curiously.

"Then we will be forced to arrest her again," Torres replied simply.

As far as I knew there was no evidence that I knew of that would link me to helping my uncle murder my aunt, because I didn't help him. I thought that I had helped my aunt from permanent damage, but I didn't. The officer came and took off the handcuffs from my wrists. The metal had cut into my skin and I thought that they were about to bleed. I rubbed them, but it hurt too much.

The officer led me to the nearest bathroom and told me to wait in there for my clothes that they took. I sat down in the chair that was placed just inside the door. I wanted to leave, but most of all I wanted Emmett's cool hands to ease the pain and smarting of my wrists. Bella walked through the door holding my clothes and I immediately changed as fast as my smarting wrists would allow.

"Rhiannon, are you alright," Bella asked tentatively.

"No Bella I'm not. This is going on my permanent record because I'm eighteen," I cried feeling a few tears streak down my face.

"This is not going on your permanent record because you did nothing wrong, but try to help your aunt survive your uncle's attack," Bella reprimanded me.

"You don't understand Bella, this isn't going to end," I said.

"You have to help us understand then," Bella said grabbing my hands gently.

"I don't know how to help you understand my situation. Don't get me wrong though, I'm grateful for all the help you are giving me, but I'm just so confused right now. I'm going back to school on Monday and I'm afraid that I'm going to be behind in all of my work, and now this, this isn't going to be kept a secret from anyone, because this stupid, stupid town talks about everything that goes on so nothing is kept secret here. I hate it here and I want out, but I want to graduate high school first," I cried hysterically. I had sunk to the floor in my anxiety.

"Rhiannon it's going to be okay. Emmett, Leah, and I will not allow anybody to make you feel unwanted or shunned," Bella said.

"I know that, but just because I can count on you and the others doesn't make up for the rest of this town," I said thickly through my tears.

Bella was just about to reply when I started gasping for air. I didn't know what was wrong, but it was as if my entire air supply was dissipating. I couldn't breathe and I couldn't feel my feet or my hands.

"Rhiannon, Rhiannon, are you okay? Rhiannon come on sweetie answer me," Bella's light musical voice said faintly masked with worry and concern.

As soon as the unexpected attack hit it was over and I slumped on the floor breathing heavily. It was an odd experience as if something was trying to force its way through my body or something. I had felt my eyes roll into the back of my head briefly and when that happened I caught glimpses of something that seemed to have happened either in the future or the past. I wasn't sure, but it was a strong feeling or vision of some sort and it took a lot out of me.

"Rhiannon are you okay," Bella asked.

"Get me out of here," I breathed out heavily.

She nodded and helped me up and led me out of the bathroom. I leaned on her heavily, but because of what she was it didn't really matter that she held my entire weight because I knew she could handle it. She had told me that Emmett and Edward had gone home already and that she would bring me home. I was completely grateful that I had some time to try and at least compose myself from that little odd episode. The ride home I had my eyes closed trying to keep cool and calm.

Bella pulled into the driveway of the house and helped me out of the car. She led me to the house and I was still slightly weak from whatever happened to me so I was still leaning on her when we entered the house.

Emmett was by my side in an instant and Bella let me lean on him.

"Rhiannon what happened to you," he asked urgently.

"I don't know and neither does Bella. I was upset and we were talking in the bathroom and then all of a sudden it was like something or someone just took over my entire body for like a split second," I said still trying to gain my full air supply back.

Emmett led me to the couch and sat me down on his lap and I curled into his arms. I felt safe and protected sitting there, but I knew Edward would want to talk to me about why the cops had thought that I had helped my uncle murder my aunt. I didn't want to talk about it right now because I was exhausted and just needed to sleep. My eyes closed again and I fell asleep in Emmett's strong and comfortable arms. I knew I was safe from harm while being with Emmett and that's how I wanted to be for the rest of my life.