Broken Hearted on the Mend

Chapter 15

Justin's Point of View

When Rhiannon didn't get the chance to come and see me I was angry, but there wasn't much that I could do about it. I was planning on going to Salem for the court proceedings so I could watch the bastard who killed one of the only family members I had left. I never considered him family when Maria married him, so I had no sympathy for him at all. I wanted to see his life ruined like he ruined Rhia's life. I was hoping that once he was punished that Rhiannon's life would start heading in the right direction. I had received her graduation attendance ticket in the mail recently and my boss had already given me the week off.

He knew how important it was for me to bond with my sister. In fact the next weekend I was hoping to have Rhiannon come up to New Hampshire and meet my co-workers and all of my friends. I don't know if she'll want to, seeing as though the retched school that she's attending threatened to not let her graduate because she had been in the hospital and on bed rest. I've actually thought about putting a lawsuit on the school because it's wrong for them to deny her the right to graduate when she didn't miss a single assignment while being in the hospital and on bed rest. It's been about three weeks since I last saw Rhiannon, but I knew that her Senior Prom was this weekend so I wasn't going to bother her with phone calls.

We kept in contact daily through e-mails, which was how I found out about her shot at graduation in jeopardy. Even though we weren't hanging out in person all that much we were still connecting. I told her about all of my favorites, which included books, food, hobbies, television shows, movies and most of all my favorite places that I would like to visit. In turn she told me her favorite hobbies, television shows, movies, books, food, and places she would like to visit. I had contacts with Esme and Edward and they told me great things about her. Although, I had a feeling that they were keeping a secret from me concerning Rhiannon because when I asked about her health and how she was feeling they would always hesitate first.

I even went as far as asking Rhiannon herself, but she told me the same exact thing that the others told me. I hadn't met anyone since my ex-wife took off, but personally I didn't care because I had found my sister and my job now was to get to know her as much as possible. Esme had told me that they were planning on moving back to Forks, Washington after graduation and since she had custody of Rhiannon until she could live on her own she would have to go with them.

My boss had told me that he had a great friend who was in need of a good secretary in Seattle and if I wanted the job then he would send my name out there as a recommendation to his friend. I was forever grateful because he had done so much for me in the first place when I needed a leg up. He had really taught me a lot and I didn't want to leave his firm, but I also wanted to be as close to Rhiannon as possible so it would be easy for us to see each other and that's what I wanted most. I sat down in front of my computer to check my e-mail. Rhiannon was good at e-mailing me every day, so when I didn't see one from her I was a little worried.

I brushed it off though because she was probably busy doing homework or maybe even out shopping for a Prom dress. I wanted my surprise, the one where I was going to tell her that I was moving to Seattle, to be a surprise so I sent her an e-mail asking her if she was able to come visit the weekend after Prom. I was hoping that she would say yes because it has been a while since I saw her last I really wanted to buy her presents and just be the brother that she never had for her entire life. I felt like I owed it to her for bailing before she was even born. Just then my phone rang.

"Hello," I answered.

"Justin, how are you doing," a female asked.

"Rainella," I asked confused.

"Yeah, who did you think it was," she asked.

"Why are you calling me," I asked avoiding her questions.

"Well, I was wondering how you were doing and if you wanted to go out sometime," she said.

"Rain you left me five years ago, and now all of a sudden you want to go out sometime," I asked incredulous.

"Yes, and I can explain why I bolted so suddenly," she said.

"Rain what changed about you," I asked.

"Justin can I come over please," she pleaded.

"I guess, I'm not doing much," I sighed into the phone.

"I'll be over in about ten minutes," she said and then hung up.

I hung up the phone and set it down by the computer. Rain was my ex-wife and for her to want to come over after five years apart was a complete shock for me. Something was wrong and I could tell by the way she sounded. Just as I set m y phone down though, it rang again.

"Hello," I answered.

"Justin, hey I'm so sorry I haven't e-mailed you in awhile. I've been so busy with schoolwork," Rhiannon's cheerful voice came through the speaker.

"Hey Rhia, how's it going with you," I asked a smile forming on my lips.

"It's been real hectic. Prom is this Saturday and I've been riddled with homework and trying to find a dress to wear," she answered so bubbly.

"Why are you so happy," I wondered.

"I'm taking Emmett to the dance. I asked him before he could ask anyone else," she said excitement behind every word.

"That's great Rhia, I'm so happy for you," I said.

"Is something wrong," she asked.

"No, everything's alright," I replied a little too hastily.

"You're lying, I know you are lying," she said.

"Fine you win. Do you remember when I told you about my ex-wife," I asked.

"Yeah, what about that bitch," she said bitterness replacing the excitement from before.

"Well, she just called me and asked if she could stop by and talk, and I let her, but now I don't know why I did," I answered holding back a sigh.

"Don't let her try and weasel her way back into your life Justin, it's not healthy. She made it clear when she broke your vows and ditched you five years ago," Rhia replied still really bitter.

"I know, but I have to at least hear her out before I make any decisions," I said.

"I understand, but think things through really well and don't let her try and psyche you out with what she says. Keep a clear head through the entire conversation," she advised.

"How in the world did you become an expert at relationship advice," I asked incredulous.

"Guys have hurt me in the past," she answered simply.

"I guess that's a conversation for another time," I asked.

"Yep you bet it is," she said happiness creeping back in her voice.

"Okay, well I need to go and prepare myself for the conversation that's to come. Check your e-mail and reply ASAP like it says," I said a grin forming on my mouth.

"Okay, will do. Talk to you soon I hope," she said.

"Alright, love you and stay safe," I said.

"Of course I'll be safe. You be safe and good luck," she said.

"Okay I will. Later," I said.

"Later," she said and hung up the phone.

I placed my phone back by the computer just as a knock on the door made my head turn. It hadn't been ten minutes in the least. It was more like five. That was strange. I stood up after turning off my computer and headed towards the front door, but before I could open it, it was broken off of its hinges and flew across my apartment. In the doorway stood my ex-wife, but something was different about her. She looked super pale, just as pale as all of the Cullens and her eyes were a blood red instead of the beautiful green that I remembered them to be.

"Rain is everything okay," I asked tentatively.

"Everything is just peachy," she snarled at me.

I started backing up because this didn't seem to be my ex-wife at all. It looked like her though. She was gorgeous, even more gorgeous than before. It was uncanny. Bella and Esme looked the same as Rain did now and it was scaring me. The next thing I knew I was on my back and Rain was on top of me and her mouth was at my neck.

"Rain what are you doing," I breathed heavily.

She didn't answer. Her weight seemed to be a lot heavier than before, and I wondered why. I was fighting her as best I could, but she seemed a lot stronger as well.

"Rain stop, I thought you wanted to talk," I huffed out.

I was struggling to get up or at least get my legs tucked in so that I can use my strength to get her off of me.

Emmett's Point of View

I was out hunting or rather on my way to hunt in the Canadian Mountains since Massachusetts didn't have any. I honestly couldn't wait until I got back to Forks, because it was a little easier to hunt when needed. Bella was staying with Rhiannon until I got back because she still felt a little unsafe. They had gone all week to look for a dress and on Wednesday they came back with one, but they wouldn't let me see it. I felt like a groom waiting to see his bride in her wedding dress, but Bella and Leah were both adamant on making me wait until Prom night.

As I was running through the little forests of New Hampshire I smelt a newborn vampire. I also smelt a human's fear. I changed course and headed towards the new vampire smell. It took me towards some apartments so I slowed my running down so that I looked human at least. Even when I sped walked, it was too fast so I slowed down, which put a small damper on my spirits, but I kept up my hurried position. I had to get there and I had to get there fast. I caught the scent of Justin when I was about halfway there. I picked up my pace and when I finally got to his apartment building I bolted up the stairs and stood almost frozen in the doorway. The door had been ripped off of its hinges and lay about ten feet into the apartment.

My eyes searched the apartment and I saw Justin lying on his side almost unconscious. A female vampire was advancing on him and her eyes were blood red. She smelt new and unused to her powers. I charged forward and I grabbed a hold of her. She was strong, but I was stronger. I managed to pull her out the door and away from Justin. I dragged her towards the forests, which were thankfully nearby and managed to rip her limb from limb. She was unstable and not used to her new life. I always carried some sort of lighter with me and lit the limbs on fire.

The sickly sweet smell of vampire flesh burning reached my over sensitive nostrils and I wrinkled them in disgust. The bonfire died down almost instantly and a pile of ashes was left. I scattered them with my feet so that no one came by wondering what had burned. I went back towards Justin's apartment and found him propped up against the far wall of his apartment. There would be no way to repair the damage that this female made to his apartment. Thankfully, my family was rich enough to cover the expenses. After all, it was our kind's fault in the first place.

"Justin, Justin are you okay," I said shaking him gently.

"Ow, dude that hurts," he yelped in pain.

"What hurts," I asked.

"My shoulder, my left leg, and my right arm," he said through gritted teeth.

"Your shoulder is dislocated, but I can pop it back into place if you want me too," I said.

"Yeah, do it and do it fast," he said gritting his teeth harder.

I gently grabbed his shoulder and relocated it with a sickening pop. He groaned in pain, but once his shoulder was back in place it wasn't so bad.

"I'm paying off the rest of your month's rent and you're coming to stay with us," I said.

"I can't I have my job here," he said.

"Well my family has a home here that you can use. It's more secured than this place," I said.

"I can't do that," he grunted.

"Yes you can, and if I have to get my mother over here then things will definitely start heating
up," I said.

"Fine, but could you please tell me what the hell happened here," he asked.

"You were attacked," I said.

"I understand that, but what the hell attacked me. My ex-wife used to never have been that
strong," he breathed heavily.

"I was hoping that you didn't have to find out about my family this way, but it's time you know
the truth," I said calmly.

"Damn straight it's time," he said angrily.

"My family and I are not human," I said heavily.

"What the hell does that mean," he asked his eyebrows furrowing together.

"It means that we are stronger, faster, and smarter than humans," I tried to explain.

"I still don't understand what the hell you are trying to explain to me," he said confusion in
every syllable of his voice.

"My family and I are vampires," I said finally since I couldn't beat around the bush anymore.

"Vampires aren't real," he scoffed.

"They are. We are. My family eats animals, or rather drink animal blood. Your ex-wife had been turned into a vampire so she was classified as a newborn. She was unstable and didn't know what to do with herself, which was why she attacked you," I replied.

"What do you mean by was classified," he asked.

"Because she was unstable I had to destroy her. She won't come after you again, but there are others who may come after you, which is why I'm trying to get you to stay at my family's house here in New Hampshire," I said.

"Why though," he asked again.

"Because it has high-class protection and could protect you better than this measly little apartment," I said through clenched teeth.

"Alright fine, but don't mention this to Rhiannon at all," he said.

"Why she deserves to know," I said.

"No she doesn't need to know that her life could be in more danger than it was when Kyle was on the loose," he said.

"Alright I won't tell her," I said trying to hold back a snicker since she already knew that we
were vampires and it didn't scare her one bit.

"Thank you. Now do you know how to wrap an ankle and wrist," he asked.

"I do, would you like help," I answered.

"Yes please, they are killing me right now," he said through a heavy breath.

I went to his bathroom and found some Ace bandages and went back towards where Justin was still on the floor. I grabbed his arms and hoisted him off the ground where he leaned on me as I walked towards the couch. We both sat down and he propped his foot up on the coffee table on top of some couch pillows. I wrapped both of them tight after relocating them since they were both dislocated. After his wrist and ankle were wrapped I asked him if he would like to move tonight. He said it would probably be for the best so I packed up everything that would fit in his pickup truck which included his clothes, his books, and all of his electronics.

He asked why I didn't pack up his bed or couch and I answered that there were already couches and beds at the house. He leaned on me and I led him towards the car where he got into the passenger's side. I got into the driver's side and then drove towards the woods. We always liked being secluded in woods because it gave us privacy. Once at the house I unloaded Justin's belongings and set them up in the house in the master bedroom. We hardly used this house after we moved from this town. In fact, I remember Edward being a part of the very firm that Justin was at about twenty years ago when Justin wasn't even here, which was a relief.

Anyway, I led Justin into the house and was actually happy that in this one Esme had built the master bedroom downstairs. He went straight to bed and I went to hunt. I didn’t have much time left and I had to have a full stomach because Prom was tomorrow night and I couldn't lose control of myself. I had to make sure that I was full and wouldn't want to lust after anyone's blood. I managed to kill and eat two good sized bears, which were my all time favorite and one mountain lion. I headed home, but not after I checked on Justin. I had to tell Rhiannon, but I promised that I wouldn't so I wasn't going to.

I now had two secrets that I was keeping from my girlfriend and it was eating me from the inside out. I don't know how long I was going to last with these secrets that I was bottling up. Could my life get any worse, I didn't think it could, but I was completely wrong.