Broken Hearted on the Mend

Chapter 16

Leah's Point of View

Things were lightening up around me and the bloodsuckers. When Jacob first asked me, no wait Bella asked me to come out here I didn't want to at all, but Jacob told me that it actually might help. I wasn't expecting to make such great friends with Rhiannon at all, but it turned out that we were swimming in the same boat in some places. She and I were bitter because we were hurting and it was because we had lost someone that we both loved. For Rhiannon it was her aunt and her parents and for me it was Sam.

I really thought that Sam and I were going to last real long, but then Emily came to visit and that changed. I don't hate Emily, she's family, but I just wish that someone would look at me the same way that Sam looks at Emily or the same way that Jacob looks at Renesmee. I thought it was hilarious though when Bella first reacted because it was something that she wasn't prepared for and even though I was growling at her for it, I was laughing internally because I thought that it was funny.

These past few months with the bloodsuckers has made me think that maybe these types of bloodsuckers weren't as bad as we were told they were when we first started transforming. Seth was already best friends with Edward and Bella. He has always been happy-go-lucky and sometimes that bothered me because I wasn't sure if he would get hurt or not.

Prom night has finally approached and I couldn't wait until I could just be by myself for the rest of the night. I didn't want to go because I didn't want to go with anyone or be pegged as a loser for not scoring a date. Bella wasn't going because Bella didn't like dances even though she was much more graceful than before she was a vampire. I promised Rhiannon that I would help her get ready for Prom and then I would head back to my little cottage and just sleep as a wolf.

I always found peace and serenity when I was in wolf form and because I was far away from the rest of the pack my head was actually quiet. School was almost over and I was glad, because it was a pain lying about my age. I was twenty and I didn't like pretending that I was eighteen, but being a werewolf, oops I forgot, shape-shifter has its perks at keeping a female young.

Anyway, I'm now on my way towards the bloodsuckers' home to help Rhiannon with her hair. I did Emily's hair for her wedding to Sam, even though it was a little painful to watch. I was planning to do something really elaborate with Rhiannon's hair because she deserved to be done up so elegantly because she could be beautiful. I might even actually start hanging out with Alice when we got back to Forks, but I wasn't sure.

"Rhiannon, come on we have to start getting you ready for Prom," I said excitedly when she opened the door.

"Leah it's only two o'clock in the afternoon," she said turning red.

"I know, but the sooner that we get you ready, the sooner you get to go to dinner with Emmett and still make it to the dance on time," I replied.

"Leah, just give me another hour please," she asked.

"Fine, but at three o'clock sharp we are going to start getting you ready," I scolded sternly, but with a small smile playing at my lips.

"Thank you," she said excitedly.

I closed the door and turned towards the stairs when the doorbell rang with two sharp rings. I stopped in my tracks and looked at the door. Obviously the Cullens' were out because they didn't come zooming into the room like they normally do because they always found it so hilarious when they scared the crap out of people. I headed towards the door and opened it to reveal a petite red-headed woman standing on the doorstep.

"Can I help you," I asked.

"Yes, I'm looking for a Miss Rhiannon Hart," she said with a small smile.

"Why," I asked.

"I need to talk to her about some legal matters," she answered.

"She's not allowed to talk to anyone about legal matters without her attorney present," I said matter-of-factly.

"Oh, well does he live here too," she asked.

"Why do you," I was cut off by Rhiannon's voice.

"Leah, who's at the door," she asked.

"Lori, call Edward now," I said giving her the expression that would make anyone listen to me immediately.

She nodded and got on the phone. Within two minutes she was off and looked at me confused.

"Alright, well I just heard that Miss Hart's attorney is on his way over so if you would like to wait until he gets here then you may come in," I said turning back towards the woman.

"Oh, that would be wonderful," she said with a smile.

I opened the door wider and she walked in. I closed the door and then led her towards the living room. Rhiannon looked at me confused still, so I motioned her towards the kitchen.

"Would you like anything to drink," I asked the woman nicely.

"A glass of water would be fine," she replied.

I went to the kitchen after Rhiannon to fill a few glasses of water. When I entered the kitchen Rhiannon was standing in the middle of the kitchen with her hands on her hips. I looked at her and then immediately went to the cupboards to for some glasses.

"Leah, what the hell is going on," she asked.

"The woman wants to talk to you about legal matters," I answered still busy with the glasses of water.

"Why did you have me call Edward," she asked suspicious.

"Rhia, everyone should know that if someone is in the middle of a tough case that they shouldn't talk to other attorney's without theirs' present," I replied exasperated.

"Oh okay, well thanks for the help, now can I help you with the water glasses," she asked with a small smile.

"Yes, take yours and then go sit in the living room," I replied.

We left the kitchen and when we walked back into the living room Edward was sitting across from the red-headed woman awaiting our return from the kitchen.

"Aw, Rhiannon and Leah finally, now we can get down to business," Edward said standing up from the armchair.

"Great. First things first, my name is Reese Callahan and I'm here about Mr. and Mrs. Hart," she said.

I looked over at Rhiannon her face just drained of all color. She collapsed to the floor spilling the glass of water.

Rhiannon's Point of View

When Reese mentioned my parents I fainted. I had totally forgotten that my parents had an attorney representing them.

"Rhiannon, Rhiannon wake up," someone said lightly tapping my face.

"Leah, what happened," I asked.

"You fainted at the mention of your parents," she told me.

I rubbed my head and stood up a little unsteadily, but Edward helped steady me by grabbing
my arm. I thanked him and faced Reese.

"What about my parents," I asked bluntly.

"Well, I'm here because as I was going through there last will and testament I noticed that you were supposed to be living with some family friends of theirs'," she replied.

"Which friends," I asked.

"A Mr. and Mrs. Knight," she replied.

"Mike and Sarah Knight," I asked.

"Yes, why do you ask," she said puzzled.

"Because, my aunt Maria told me that I was supposed to live with her and her asshole of a husband," I yelled furious.

"Wait, Maria, as in Maria Hart," she asked.

"Yes, why," I asked starting to get confused.

"Maria Hart is not even your aunt, well blood aunt that is. She was Mr. Hart's step-sister and only wanted you to stay with her so that she could obtain the money bonuses that you got when your parents died," Reese told me.

I felt my mouth open in shock. Maria had lied to me the entire time that I was in Salem. Then something occurred to me.

"Wait, then I didn't have to move here and I didn't have to go through the abuse that I did go through," I asked my anger flaring suddenly.

"Abuse, what abuse," Reese asked concerned.

"Oh, Maria's psychotic husband is a child abuser who just loves to hit people," I said sarcastically and full of anger.

"Gosh no, you were supposed to stay with Mr. and Mrs. Knight back in Forks, Washington.

When you didn't show up they called the police in Seattle and placed you on the missing persons' list," Reese explained.

I was beyond furious. I needed to clear my head so I stood up abruptly and walked towards the front door. I knew Prom was tonight, so I wasn't going to be gone long. I just needed to get away and think about what my life just spun me. I wasn't supposed to come and live with my aunt, who isn't even a blood relative. I looked down at my neck and ripped off the locket and tossed it somewhere on the porch. I didn't want to wear it even if it did hold a picture of my parents.

I just hoped that Emmett wouldn't decide to come after me because I needed to be alone at the moment. I got into my car and then just started driving. I didn't have a specific place in mind, just somewhere that I could think and maybe even draw. I always kept notebooks in my car in case I had a spur of the moment thinking session that I needed to do, and this was one of them. I was fed up with the stupid lies. Mr. and Mrs. Knight, why does that name sound so familiar.

I can't remember ever meeting a Mr. and Mrs. Knight, and then it hit me. Michael and Sarah had worked together with my father on top secret business, but because I was with my dad one day I knew about it. Mike and Sarah were working on developing a car that could go super fast on its own, talk, think, and have weapons inside of it. It was a huge project. In fact, Sarah's father had died while working on this car, so the project fell to my father, who was a technical and science genius. My mother was a CIA Agent, who also helped work on this special secret project, so my family had been financially secure for years.

I drove for hours finally realizing that I was headed towards Justin's new place. He had told me that he had moved, but he didn't tell me why. I wasn't too worried that he was keeping secrets from me because I was doing the same with him. I had to see him though because my mind was just too clouded and right now I feel that only he could help me. I wanted to see Mike and Sarah because they were so nice to me when I was younger, but I don't want to leave Emmett or his family because they have been so sincere and nice to me; even when I didn't want anything to with them or rather when I was keeping secrets from them.

I pulled into the driveway of the new house that Justin was staying at and parked the car. I sat there behind the wheel just thinking. I don't know where I would be now if it hadn't been for Emmett's friendship during my abused months with my step-uncle and step-aunt. I finally got out of the car and walked towards the front door. I rang the door bell twice and then waited for an answer. It took him about ten minutes to answer the door and when he did he was completely shocked.

"Rhiannon, what are you doing here," he asked.

"I'm sorry to just drop by without calling first, but I needed to tell you something really important," I replied rocking back on my heels.

"No, it's alright. Come in; come in, "he said opening the door wider for me to enter the house.

The house was a modern version of the one that I was staying at. The master suite was downstairs and all the rest of the rooms were upstairs.

"I hope I'm not interrupting anything," I said sheepishly.

"No of course not," he said with a smile.

"Okay, well it's about our parents," I started unsure of how to really tell him.

"What about them," he asked curious.

"Well, their attorney Reese Callahan stopped by to tell me some things about them and apparently Maria Hart isn't our blood Aunt," I said.

"What," he asked.

"Yeah, she told me that Maria was dad's step-sister," I said.

"That's impossible," he said.

"Why is that," I asked.

"Because I saw baby pictures of Maria," he said.

"Yeah, but have you ever wondered why Maria was blonde and not brunette," I asked.

"That could have been grandmother's hair color before she turned grey," he countered.

"It wasn't dad told me," I said matter-of-factly.

"Okay, well what else. Obviously, there's more," he said.

"You're right there is. It turns out that I wasn't even supposed to live with Maria and Kyle
because they weren't blood relatives like they said they were," I said.

"You mean you didn't have to move all the way to Salem, Massachusetts for your senior year of high school," he asked.

"No, I had to move to Forks, Washington to live with Mike and Sarah Knight," I answered.

"Who are they," he wondered.

"Dad's friends from work and mom knew them too. Apparently when I was little I used to accompany dad to work sometimes and watch them all work. Mike and Sarah loved me, so dad told them that if anything were to happen to them that I was to live with them and not family members," I answered.

"Damn it," he said.

"What," I asked.

"It's just that if you didn't move out here then I wouldn't have ever met you and you wouldn't have met Emmett and his family," he said.

"I know, so a part of me is happy that I did move here instead, but the other part is screaming at me and telling me that I didn't have to move here and endure being beaten half to death by some psychotic asshole," I said frustrated.

"I know Rhia, I know, "he said and wrapped me into his arms.

My phone rang just then so I pulled away to answer it. I listened carefully and what I heard made me drop the phone.

"Rhia what is it," Justin asked worried.

"I forgot one vital piece of information," I said in an audible whisper.

"What is it," he asked.

"Mom and dad didn't die, they were murdered," I said softly still in shock.

"WHAT," he roared loudly.

"It appears that the person who ran them off the road finally came forward and told the police that he had killed our parents. He's in jail for life now. He also said that Kyle was the one who paid him to do it so that I would be forced to live here, which is why Mike and Sarah didn't realize it until they read the obituaries online about our parents," I said a little too calmly.

"I'm going to kill that bastard," Justin seethed with anger.

"No, Justin don't because he's going on trial in three weeks and there he will finally get justice for what he did." I said sternly.

"Damn straight he will be served justice. How are we going to prove that he hired someone to kill our parents," he asked.

"Edward called the California Police Department that had a recording of his confession and they said that we can use it, but then they will need it back after Kyle's trial. Edward told me before I dropped the phone that the recorded confession will arrive within the next week," I replied.

"Okay. We can talk about it this next weekend when you come up here and stay with me," he said.

"Excuse me," I said startled by the statement.

"Didn't you read your e-mail," he asked.

"No, but I wouldn't mind coming up here," I said with a smile.

"Good because for a minute there I thought you were going to bail on me," he laughed.

"You're right though, we can talk later. I need to get back to Salem so I can get ready for
Prom," I said.

"Okay. Well then I will see you next Friday night," he said and gave me a hug goodbye.

I got back into my car and literally sped back to Salem so that I was able to have some time to get ready for Prom still. I was a speed demon when it came to driving and I was still amazed that I hadn't gotten into an accident yet. I managed to make it back to Salem in less time than it took me to get to New Hampshire. When I pulled into the driveway at the house
Emmett was standing right by my car door with a glare on his face.

"What Emmett," I asked nonchalantly.

"Why did you leave so suddenly," he asked sternly.

"Because I needed to think alone," I said.

"Why," he begged.

"Didn't Edward tell you," I asked.

"No, he told me to wait for you to come home and explain," he answered.

"It's about my parents. Their attorney came by today and told me that Maria and Kyle weren't my blood relatives like they told me. I didn't have to move here and get abused all those months and my parents didn't die in an accident they were murdered and it was made to look like an accident," I said all in one breath.

Emmett didn't say anything. Instead he just pulled me into a hug and held me, which actually helped me relax more. I loved Emmett so much and I didn't want to lose him. I leaned away from him and looked up at his face. If he could cry I knew that he would have tears in his eyes and they would have been tears of worry.

"I'm sorry I worried you. I just needed to think and just be alone for a little while," I said gently.

"I understand, but next time at least warn someone first," he smiled at me.

"Okay. Now let me go so I can go get ready for Prom," I smiled up at him.

I went inside and was immediately pulled upstairs by Bella who sat me down in a chair in the bathroom. Thankfully, I had remembered to wear a button up shirt today. Leah did my hair while Bella applied light makeup. They both knew that I hated dressing up, which was actually something I had in common with Bella. Actually, I didn't exactly hate dressing up, I just hated makeup in general. I thought it was worthless and whoever had come up with the idea of makeup should have been shot when he or she first proposed the idea to the world.

After about an hour of Leah primping my hair she had done it up really beautifully. It was half up and half down. The strands that were down rested lightly on my shoulders and the part that was up had been twisted into an elegant and exquisite bun. She had placed a small tiara comb at the base of the bun. Bella had finished with my makeup just as Leah finished with my hair. She had put light foundation on and then some light red blush. My eyes had been blended so well with two different shades of blue.

A light and dark blue, which would match the two colors in my dress. She added light mascara as well. Not too much and too little. It was perfect. Emmett had tried to come in and look at me twice, but Bella had scolded him and threatened that if he so much as tried to get another sneak peak at me then she would personally rip him apart. He was now downstairs pacing back and forth waiting to see me all done up.

I was led into the bedroom where my dress had been kept for the entire week. I stripped of my button up shirt and jeans and then changed into a strapless bra. Bella brought out my dress and Leah zipped me up. Bella slipped on my heels and I didn't even lose my balance once. Now that I was ready for Prom I felt butterflies floating in my stomach and my nerves starting to heighten.

"Rhia calm down and just breathe. You'll be fine and Emmett will take good care of you," Bella reassured.

I nodded my head and then proceeded to head down the stairs. Bella had gone ahead to make Emmett close his eyes before I got to the top of the stairs. I could only smile at the fact that this was really playing on Emmett's nerves. I walked towards the top of the stairs and then stopped. I took one deep breath and when I was halfway down Emmett opened his eyes at Bella's command and I could literally see his jaw drop a mile and half.

"Emmett, it's impolite to have your mouth wide open in front of a lady," Esme scolded with a smile.

He snapped it shut and then just stared at me. I finished walking down the stairs, but I could feel my cheeks flaming with extra color.

"You look stunningly beautiful," he said still staring.

He was handsome in a tuxedo and a boutonnière pinned to his jacket lapel. In his left hand he held a flower box that had a corsage lying on it. Bella had picked it out because we didn't even tell Emmett the colors of my dress. I had wanted it to be a complete surprise so Emmett was in an all black tuxedo. His dress shirt was even black. It was magnificent. He gently grabbed my left wrist and then slipped on the corsage. I felt like a princess at the moment because I had never gone to a Prom or even a wedding for that matter. After Esme took many pictures of us we left in my car.

Emmett had wanted me to drive because he wanted to see why I never complained about his speed. He gave me directions to the restaurant and we were there within thirty minutes. He was shocked that I was a speed demon, but he was excited that he didn't have to change his own speed for me. At dinner he watched me eat a steak, an artichoke, a salad, and a baked potato. After that he paid for a small slice of chocolate cake and I managed to choke that down. After dinner I was too full to drive anywhere so Emmett drove us to the dance. Prom was a little uneventful and surprisingly Emmett was voted as Prom King and I won Prom Queen. I wasn't even that popular all year, but apparently I won the spot because no other girl wanted to dance with Emmett because they all thought that he was a little too intimidating.

I thought that at first as well, but I knew that he was just a big goofball who loved to tell jokes. While Emmett and I were dancing the King and Queen dance I suddenly felt dizzy and lightheaded. I rubbed my head a little bit and Emmett looked at me worried.

"Rhia, are you okay," he asked.

"No, I think another blackout is coming," I said and as if it was waiting for me to say it I collapsed in his arms.

This time I saw flashes of what looked like the future. There was a battle of some kind and Mike and Sarah were there. They were just as fun to be around as when I was younger. They took me places in Seattle when we all moved out to Forks. They had enjoyed my graduation ceremony and made me promise that I would visit as much as possible. They approved of Emmett and allowed me to stay with him and his family. More flashes passed behind my eyelids and I caught a glimpse of a huge battle that was to take place in some odd clearing. Then my vision came back and I was lying down on my back looking up at the ceiling and a bunch of faces swimming above me.

"Emmett," I asked.

"I'm right here Rhia, are you alright," he asked.

"Yeah I'm fine," I said sitting up slowly.

Emmett helped me up and we left soon after. I didn't want to have another blackout in front of the entire senior class. It was embarrassing. I don't remember falling asleep, but I remember the smooth ride home and someone gently lifting me and bringing me up to the room and lying me down on the bed to sleep more comfortably.