Broken Hearted on the Mend

Chapter 17

Emmett's Point of View

I watched Rhia the entire night. Her nightmares were finally gone and that alone made me a little calmer. Prom was exciting and l loved that both Rhia and I were made Prom King and Queen. I figured it was because every other girl was a little intimidated by my build. I laughed at them all because they didn't know me. I was a big teddy bear and very lovable.

As I was sitting by Rhia's bedside I got to thinking about what had happened. Her blackouts were starting to happen a little bit more frequently and I was getting worried. I didn't want to lose her to these powers, but I wasn't sure if I wanted her to become a vampire either. I never thought that I would have to be in a situation like the one Edward was in with Bella, but here I am. I absolutely love Rhia, but I don't know how much longer I could withstand my thirst for her blood. I looked up when I heard someone enter the room and my eyes landed on Edward. He motioned for me to come to the hallway so I did.

"Emmett, you can do this," he said.

"Why do you have to read my thoughts," I asked.

"I can't help it," he said.

"Fine, but how can you be so sure that I can handle being around Rhia for so long," I asked.

"I managed just fine," he said.

"Yes, but Bella was in more danger than Rhia ever was," I said.

"That's not true," he said.

"How is that not true," I asked my anger rising.

"She has been in danger the minute she met you," he said.

"How is that possible, I would never hurt her," I outraged.

"You see. You wouldn't intentionally hurt her, but there are always the accidents that happen. It was the same situation when I was with Bella when she was human," he said.

"But you had to rescue Bella and she had to rescue you and then you and Jacob were fighting over her," I said repeating the events that happened ten years ago.

"That was our relationship though, your relationship with Rhia is much different than the one I have with Bella," he told me.

"I don't want to lose Rhia," I said.

"You're not going to lose her," he reassured.

"That's the thing though, I just may lose her," I said.

"How so," he asked.

"Alice told me that Rhia is special. When she is turned into a vampire she's going to be very powerful, but the problem is, is that her vampire powers are already showing now, which is killing her very slowly," I told him my voice choking up with fear.

"We'll pull through this. The minute that bastard who abused her is put in prison for life we will move back to Forks with Rhia so that she can see her true guardians," he said.

"But Esme and Carlisle are her true guardians," I said confused.

"In the state of Massachusetts yes, but in the state of Washington no they are not," he said.

"What do you mean," I asked.

"Rhia's parents' attorney came by today and told her everything that was supposed to happen, but didn't. Rhia is now really rich because she inherited the government money that was promised to her father if her mother died as well as the government money that was promised to her mother if her father died, but because both of them died she gets both shares of money and it totals to about 10 million dollars," he said.

"Rhia told me that her parents were murdered," I said.

"Yes, which added another 3 million dollars, totaling her amount to 13 million," he said.

"Why is the government giving her an extra 3 million dollars," I asked.

"Because her parents were such an asset to the government that they felt the need to pay
her extra," he explained.

I let this information sink in as I looked towards the bedroom. Rhia was rich, well it wasn't like I needed money, I mean with a sister like Alice there was of course much money in the Cullen household. No, I loved Rhia for her personality and her spirit to not give up no matter how many times that she was knocked down by her uncle. I loved her for her whit and her fiery temper. She knew speed and didn't fear it. She was also caring and really smart. I loved her for her and because she was different.

"Emmett," I heard Rhia's voice whimper from the room.

My head snapped towards the room and I looked towards it.

"Go to her," Edward told me.

I went back into the room and sat down by Rhia's bed.

"Emmett, no don't leave me," she whimpered.

I was about to say something and tell her that I wasn't going anywhere when she just started thrashing around in the bed. Her limbs were getting tangled in the sheets and I was growing worried. I was about to hold her down when she started talking again.

"No, Justin you can't leave me, not now," she yelled.

The door opened quietly and Bella, Esme, and Edward were standing in the doorway with looks of concern on their faces.

"I don't know what's going on," I said burrowing my face in my hands.

Just then Edward's cell phone vibrated.

"Hello," he answered swiftly.

"It's Alice, she wants to talk to you Emmett," he said handing me the phone.

"What is it now Alice," I asked dejectedly.

"Emmett, Rhia's powers are progressing faster than I thought they would. She doesn't have much time to live if she stays human," she said rapidly.

"How long," I asked.

"Not long," she replied.

"ALICE, HOW LONG DOES SHE HAVE," I hissed into the phone.

"At least five months," she said sadly.

"Five months," I whispered furiously.

"Yes, my last vision was wrong and I'm sorry," she said.

"Damn it, how long have you known about this," I asked.

"I just got my new vision today," she answered sadly.

"Rhia is not going to die and I will not turn her unless she wants to be turned willingly," I
said firmly.

"But, Emmett if she's not turned soon she will die," Alice contradicted.

"No, she will not DIE," I nearly roared into the phone.

"Fine, but if she does die I hope you don't go into another depression mode," she said and
then hung up before I could reply with a nasty retort.

I threw the phone back to Edward and then looked back towards Rhia. She continued to
thrash and moan against the sheets of the bed until suddenly she sat straight up. She was drenched in sweat and she had a look of pure fear on her face.

"Rhia are you okay," I asked gently.

"Justin, he's going to die," she whispered her voice full of fear.

"What, no he's not," I tried to reassure her.

"Yes he is," she said looking at me with wild eyes.

"How do you know," I asked tentatively.

"I saw it happen," she breathed heavily.

"I won't let him die," I told her trying to be reassuring.

"You can't save him, no one can save him," she said her eyes still wild.

"We can save him, you and I both can save him," I said trying to make her stop this crazy
behavior.

"No we can't. We try to, but we end up being too late," she said.

I looked more closely at her face and she had tears smeared in with the sweat. I sat down next to her on the bed and pulled her into my arms. Everyone else left the room to give her some privacy. She cried silently in my arms, but I rocked her back and forth. I wasn't going to let her die and I wasn't going to let Justin die either. He and her just found each other after twenty some odd years of not knowing each other and I wasn't going let them lose each other after only two months of finally getting to know each other. It just wasn't right and it wasn't fair.

Justin deserved to live and spend more time with his sister. He didn't deserve to die so young. No one deserved to die so young, but sometimes it was inevitable. It was for me, for Rosalie, for Edward, for Alice, for Esme, for Carlisle, for Jasper. Bella actually chose this life, but Bella was unique. Rhia was special and Bella was unique. I didn't know how our family attracted such different people, but we did. I gently laid Rhiannon back down on the mattress and before I could pull away she clamped her arms around my waist and with a small shudder she curled up into my chest.

I let out a small breath of air, but still I wrapped my arms around her delicate waist and held her as tightly as I was allowed to. I knew that if I was squeezed to tightly I could break every bone in her body and kill her instantly. I wanted to do everything in my power to protect the second love of my existence for as long as I possibly could. I knew that if I wanted to change her I would do what Edward did and marry her first. She already experienced Prom night and she was almost a high school graduate, so there couldn't be much more that she would want to do.

If anything being a vampire may even help her forget all the tragic events that she was forced to live with. Her life completely turned upside down when she moved in with her uncle, but I had made it my personal mission of my existence to turn her life back to the way she used to live it. When we moved back to Forks, I was going to have her visit Mike and Sarah Knight so that they could catch up and she could tell them everything that happened after her parents died. I wanted to give her everything that she deserved and everything she wanted. The problem I faced now was getting the guts to actually ask her what she wanted. I was scared that if I did something wrong that she would leave me. I don't think I could handle another love leaving me.

I was finally getting over Rosalie's destruction and I was finally becoming really happy. Rhia meant everything to me and I didn't want to see her hurt anymore, which brought me back to the other problem of keeping Justin alive long enough for them to have years of being together. They deserved as much even if Justin was the one to leave first and not go back if he had heard that he had a little sister. I still felt that they deserved as much time together as possible. Rhia had told me that she was visiting Justin next weekend, which was good. I would be hunting close by in case she had another blackout and Justin didn't know what to do, not that I was predicting she was going to have another blackout, but just in case. I gently brushed my lips against Rhia's head and brushed her hair back of her face. She was so beautiful when she slept. I don't know if I would be able to take that away from her. As I was looking at my love many thoughts were crawling through my brain.

Thoughts that I couldn't help, but let run their course. I wanted to give her everything she deserved and wanted, but I don't know what I would have to pay in order to giver what she wanted and needed. I would have to leave it up to time and fate to help me decide, but I wasn't sure if I could. It was hard. When I was watching Edward struggle with his relationship with Bella I didn't give it a second thought that I might be in the same situation one day. I had Rosalie at the time and that was all I needed. Now that she was gone though and now that I had Rhia I couldn't help but feel as protective as Edward did for Bella when she was human.

I don't think I could live without Rhia in my life anymore. If it hadn't been for her I probably would still be in my depressed state of mind and still wishing that I had Rosalie still. She had been everything to me and when she was gone I didn't know how I could live anymore. I managed though and because I did I ended up meeting Rhiannon and as we gradually grew from friends to boyfriend and girlfriend I knew that I found someone special again. She wasn’t going to die on me because I wouldn't let her. I looked down on her again and noticed that she was smiling slightly. A smile pulled at my lips. She must be having a good dream for once. I loved that she wasn't having nightmares. Her new nightmares may be caused by her growing vampire powers, but the ones she had before I knew were caused by her experience with living with her uncle.

When she first started staying here she couldn't sleep alone at all. If I wasn't here then Bella, Edward or Esme would stay with her. Sometimes Leah would even stay with her.
I have to hand it to Leah though because when she first got here I was angry since neither one of her kind would come with me before. When Rhia had started to hang out with Leah I noticed that she was a little bit more open. I liked that, but I also knew she had been afraid to put us in danger of her uncle which was why she kept a secret in the first place.

"Emmett," she whispered looking up at me.

"What is it Rhiannon," I asked a little startled by her sudden voice.

"Could you find me my sketch book," she asked.

"Of course," I said.

I got up off of the bed and looked around for the book. I finally found it amongst her books for school. I picked it up and then walked back towards Rhiannon where I handed her the book and a pencil. She took them with a smile, but put the pencil behind her ear.

"I want to show you something," she said thickly, since she had only been asleep not too long ago.

"Okay," I said with a smile.

I watched as she flipped through her sketchbook until she stopped on one page. She shifted the book towards my line of vision and the picture that I saw literally took the non-existent breath that I had. Her drawing was a perfect image of the woman I had lost. I don't know how she managed to draw her when I hadn't even shown her a picture of Rosalie.

"Rhia how did you manage to draw her with so much precision," I asked stunned.

"I saw you in one of my blackouts standing next to a blonde woman. I figured that she was the one that you had lost. Her image never left my mind after that one blackout so I decided to draw her," she told me calmly.

"Thank you for drawing her, but I didn't need you to," I said.

"I know, but I thought that it might help you remember someone who meant so much to you
in the first place," she said.

"I'll put with the other one you gave me," I said and watched as she tore it out of her notebook and handed it to me.

"I have more to show you though," she said.

I nodded and watched as she flipped some more pages of the notebook and then stopped another page. This one caught my breath as well. It was an exquisite sketch of a sunset and two people standing on a beach. The male looked like to be in a tuxedo by the dark pencil shading and the female looked to be in a flowing white dress with little jewels in it. The sunset was a perfect background for this scene even though the male had slight sparkle to his skin tone. There were tropical trees surrounding the beach, which made it
even more stunning.

"Rhiannon, this is just beautiful. There's so much precise detail," I said.

"It's what I imagined our wedding day to be someday," she said and her cheeks instantly flowed with color.

"You want to get married on a beach with a sunset in the background," I asked.

She just nodded and I saw more color flow into her cheeks. I loved the idea. I didn't think she had the idea of marriage in her mind when it came to the thought of us. I knew I wanted to marry her, but I wasn't sure if she wanted the same thing. Now that I've seen this drawing I knew it was true.

"One more," she said with a small smile.

Again, I just nodded my head. The next one that she showed me made my dead heart stop in its non-beating tracks. It was a picture of the both of us with huge smiles on our faces. We were standing really close and looking in each other's eyes. On the ground around us though were two little runts. I don't think I could put Rhiannon through the terrible pregnancy of a half-vampire baby. I don't think I could handle that.

"This one is just beautiful," I managed to choke out.

"Emmett is something wrong," she asked.

"No, nothing is wrong," I said.

"Are you sure," she asked again.

"Yes. Get some more sleep. I just need to speak with Edward and Bella for a few minutes.

I will be sitting right here though when you wake up again," I said managing a forced smile.
She nodded and snuggled down into the sheets. I left the room and walked down the stairs where Edward and Bella were sitting on the sofa watching television with practically no volume whatsoever, but I could still hear what was being said on the show. They looked up and when they saw my stricken face they quickly muted the TV.

"Emmett what's wrong," Bella asked.

"Rhia……Rhia wants…..Rhia," I stammer out.

"Rhia wants what," Edward asks exasperatedly.

I couldn't speak so I just handed them the drawing that Rhiannon had given me a mere two seconds ago. Edward grabbed it first and I noticed that his pale face went even paler if that was possible. Bella noticed and so she gently took the drawing and looked at it. A smile lit up on her face.

"She wants children with you someday," she said happily.

"Yeah and I don't think I can watch her go through what you went through," I said fear still gripping my dead heart.

"Emmett, I'm okay. Nothing bad happened to me," Bella said sincerely.

"Bella you almost died," Edward contradicted.

"You saved me though," she pointed out.

"That's not the point," he said.

"Then enlighten me on the point," she asked.

"The point is that Emmett may not want to put Rhiannon through that danger," he said lowering his eyes.

"Are you regretting the time we spent on that island," she asked.

"No, not at all because I love our daughter, but I don't think I could handle seeing another human go through the same experience as you did," he said.

"Edward, Emmett listen to me now. There is no reason to be afraid of horrible outcomes this time because of the experience that I went through. If you do decide to have intercourse and she does become pregnant the first thing we have to do is feed her blood that way she won't turn out the way I did. She won't become so sickly pale and wasted like I did because we will know what we need to do," she said confidently.

"So you're going to do what Rosalie did if she realizes I don't want the baby in the first place," I asked.

"You bet I will," she said fire in her eyes.

I heaved a heavy sigh. There was nothing I could do because I had already vowed to give her everything she wanted and if she wanted kids someday then I would give them to her. I looked up to see Edward glaring at me.

"If you don't like what you hear then don't pay attention," I growled at him.

He didn't say anything so I just went back upstairs and put the picture of our potential future
next to the other three that she gave me. I went back to the bed and stretched myself out next to Rhiannon's sleeping form. I closed my eyes as if I was falling asleep and smiled when she wrapped her arms around my waist and snuggled into my body. I brought my arms around her waist and pulled her even closer and I heard her sigh in happiness as she slept on.