Broken Hearted on the Mend

Chapter 20

The two shadows ran quickly through the towns and villages of Italy. If anyone was looking for movement, no one would have been able to spot them because they were so fast. They ran through the streets and up hills. They moved quickly through the abandoned streets of the huge city of Volterra. Both of them ran down the alley way north of the huge clock tower and then down into the sewage pipes. They traveled through the tunnels and all the way up to a lit waiting room where a female was sitting behind the desk.

"Alec, Jane you're back," the female greeted.

"Yes, Gianna we are and we have news for Aro, is he busy," the one called Jane said.

"No, he's actually been waiting your return for weeks now," she said.

Jane didn't reply. She and Alec walked past Gianna and through the gates that led further into the castle. Once past the measly human Alec and Jane walked a little faster until they came to the antechamber where Aro normally passed judgment on vampires who either wanted to die, deserved to die, or wanted to join the guard. They waited patiently for Aro and his brothers to greet them. It didn't take long since they were vampires.

"Jane dear and Alec, good to see you, especially after all this time," Aro greeted jovially as usual.

"Yes, master it is," Jane said with a small smile.

"So what is the news that you have collected," Caius said already growing impatient.

"Patience my brother," Aro chastised, while Marcus stayed as silent as ever.

"The information that we have gathered is that the newborn that we created to try and kill
Rhiannon's brother is dead for good. Emmett Cullen destroyed her just after she was turned, which was rather odd, since newborns are supposed to be exceptionally stronger. Rhiannon is having constant blackouts, and they are still awaiting the trial of that useless human of an uncle. Rhiannon has old friends who came to visit her and watch her graduate high school. She hasn't done anything wrong or told anyone about us, but she is still a high
risk," Jane relayed faithfully.

"Yes, I know that she is still a high risk," Aro muttered.

"Do you think she is the descendant of the one we killed many years ago," Caius asked.

"I don't know, and I won't know until she becomes a vampire," Aro answered his question.

"If I may ask, master, but who did you kill all those years ago," Jane asked tentatively.

"Well, if we are going to continue to ask you to gain as much information on Rhiannon as possible, then I guess it is time that we fill you in on the whole truth," Aro said.

"The truth about what," Jane asked tentatively.

"The truth on how my brothers and I came to rule all of the vampires. It was thousands of years ago. Every vampire was living off of animals and humans were wearing some sort of perfume or fragrance that masked the scent of the blood. The ruler of the vampires was someone who everyone obeyed because if you didn't then you would have been subjected to her wrath.

Her name was Gracie Justicia or Grace Justice. She always gave fair judgments and there were never any problems at all. It all happened during the day. The vampires were given a special cream that they rubbed onto their skins, which made it easier for vampires to blend in with the people. A bunch of the humans just figured we never got any sunlight because we were allergic to it or something. That one day ended it all. You know that human blood keeps us the strongest, well Caius here was walking by a human when he smelt the sweetness of the blood.

He lured the human to a dark alley and drank from him. The Romanians helped us end Gracie's rule because animal blood just wasn't cutting it. The Romanians thought that because they helped us that they could rule the vampires. We lied to them and said that it was alright if they did. We bought our time and then we attacked them. You saw the two remaining Romanians during the last encounter with the Cullens. Caius has always wanted to end the Romanians for good and if it comes down to it we may have to end the lives of all the Cullens. It will pain me if I have to end the life of a good friend, but if I have to then I will," Aro explained.

"So you think that Rhiannon may be the reincarnation of Gracie Justicia," Jane asked.

"A lot of the signs point in that direction, so yes," Aro said.

"We will collect more information, but do we have permission to attack if it comes to that," Alec asked boldly.

"Yes, of course especially if gets more information out of them. In fact, if you can kidnap Rhiannon and grill her for questions, but do not bite her at all," Caius said warningly.

"You want us to kidnap Rhiannon for answers, but not bite her," Jane asked confused.

"Exactly, because if she is turned then our fears may come true and she could be the new
Gracie Justicia," Caius confirmed.

Jane and Alec nodded. Unfortunately the sunlight broke through so they had to wait until dark to return to the United States. They fed on some humans and when night fell once again they left Volterra and ran back to France. From France they swam back to the New York where they ran through the trees towards Salem, Massachusetts. They caught the scent of vampire and human halfway there and they climbed trees to spy on them. They saw Emmett Cullen and Rhiannon eating dinner.

Jane wrinkled her face at watching Emmett eat human food because she found it rather disgusting. The couple wasn't talking much, but Rhiannon had told Emmett to stop eating human food because she could tell that he was uncomfortable eating it. He finished the actual dinner, but when it came to desert he just watched Rhiannon eat the cake until Jane heard her teeth make a small crunch on something. Jane looked towards Alec who was in a different tree and gave him the signal to climb down. There was no wind, but it was raining.

They would be safe until they announced their presence. Jane watched as Emmett slid what he called a promise ring onto Rhiannon's finger and she couldn't hold herself in anymore. She started clapping her hands loud enough for both of them to hear. Her brother spoke before she could though.

"Very nice performance Mr. Cullen," he said adding to the clapping.

"Yes, I must agree my brother, but it's a shame to say that Miss Hart will not be with you for
much longer," Jane added.

"Emmett who is it," Rhiannon asked sounding terrified.

"People who shouldn't be here ever," he growled in the directions of Alec and Jane.

Jane watched as Emmett grabbed Rhiannon into his arms and started running for their car that they had brought with them. Jane only giggled her girly laugh as she ran after them. Alec was faster and managed to make Emmett lose his grip on Rhiannon, which sent him flying. Emmett was pissed. He lunged at Alec while Jane took her chance and went after Rhiannon to take her with them. Before she could even reach her though a hard body slammed into her and she fell towards the ground just as a loud clap of thunder went off. Rhiannon wasn't moving because she smacked her head pretty hard on the ground. Jane stood up rather quickly and faced off against Edward.

They circled each other and Jane smiled her sadistic grin, but Edward just smirked at her. She smiled harder, but nothing happened. Bella, who had run towards Rhiannon to make sure that she was alright, had projected her shield towards him. Esme had come with them and when Bella had made sure that Rhiannon was alright she handed her to Esme. Esme was never a fighter, which was why Bella had given Rhiannon to her to take care of.

"Take her back to her car and then take the car back to the house," Bella said.

"Will do, and be careful," Esme said.

Bella nodded and made her way towards Edward after she made sure that Esme was safe with Rhiannon. Bella was already livid with Jane and Alec for the attacks they had done in the past. Her anger was so strong that she was able to protect herself, Emmett, Edward, and even the entire car that carried Esme and Rhiannon back towards safety. Bella lunged at Jane, which caught her off guard because she was still focused on Edward. Emmett was still in a fight with Alec, but because Emmett was stronger he had an upper hand. Emmett started ripping Alec apart and Alec's screams of agony pierced the night air, but another clap of thunder masked it from being heard. Jane whipped her head around and started to make her way back towards her brother, but Bella grabbed her wrist and threw her against the nearest tree.

"I don't think so Jane. You are going to pay for the hurt and pain you have caused this entire family," Bella sneered.

"You can try and kill us Bella, but you will not succeed. When Aro and Caius hear word of this they will attack," she breathed heavily.

"Who's going to tell them," Edward asked leaning against a tree as his wife advanced on Jane.

"Word will get to him," she said.

"We'll see about that," Bella said.

Emmett had lost control of his fight with Alec and before Bella could attack Jane again Alec lunged at Bella. Jane took that chance to escape while Edward growled and lunged at Alec. Jane had never left Alec's side before, but she knew that he did this so that she could escape. Alec was destroyed that night and as Jane ran back towards Italy to announce her failure of kidnapping Rhiannon she got the idea in her head to attack the house directly. The others were too busy burning Alec to ashes and she knew that Esme never liked to fight.

Rhiannon was most likely still out cold from the hit to the head so it would be easy to take her. Jane changed course rather fast and made it to the house within seconds of leaving the battle scene. She scaled the side of the house and had no trouble picking up the scent of Rhiannon. When Esme left the room to get another warm washcloth for Rhiannon's face Jane made her move and snatched her from the bed. She ran towards the ocean and after draping her over her shoulders swam towards Europe.

Once in Europe she transferred her to her arms and began running flawlessly towards Italy before the sun rose again. Unfortunately, she made to the outskirts of Italy before sunrise, but just as she was about to cross the border from France into Italy the sun started to rise. She muttered some curses, but found an abandoned home to stay during the day.

Back in Massachusetts Alec had been destroyed and Emmett, Edward, and Bella were just standing in front of the flames that were the remains of Alec. Edwards looked around and cursed.

"What is it Edward," Bella asked.

"Jane's gone," he answered with a scowl.

"Alec was only a diversion so she could get away," Emmett growled.

"We need to get back to Esme," Edward said suddenly.

"Why, what's wrong," Emmett asked turning towards his brother.

"Let's go," was all he said before taking off into a run.

All three of them made back to the house in record time and burst through the front door to
find Esme with her head held in her hands.

"Esme what's wrong," Emmett asked with worry.

"I left Rhiannon in the room to get another warm washcloth for her forehead, but when I
returned to the bedroom the window was wide open and Rhiannon was nowhere to be found," she said.

Emmett cursed loudly, but he knew that he couldn't blame Esme for trying to take care of her. Emmett ran up the stairs and into the room where he stayed with Rhiannon. Esme was right and the window was indeed open and rain was drizzling in from the open window. Emmett walked over to it and looked out. Rain hit his face, but he didn't care. He let out a huge burst of rage and screamed into the night. Rhiannon had been taken, but he wasn't going to stop until he got her back. He turned away from the open window and closed it.

As he was about to walk out of the room a slight smoking from the closet caught his eye. He went towards it and looked down to find a large pot of some sort of lotion. On a piece of paper next to the pot of lotion was Rhiannon's handwriting in a journal format. He picked it up and read it.

This was something I've seen in one of my blackouts. I don't know what it means but I saw a bunch of pale white people such as Emmett and Bella walking around in sunlight, but there was no glistening coming off of their bodies. It was as if this lotion could mask it.
This seemed oddly strange to Emmett, but he took it as a sign that he was going to have to go to Italy during the daylight hours in order to get Rhiannon back safely.

He took the pot of lotion and realized that there was enough for three people. He would take Edward and Bella and Leah also because she would be a huge help. He wouldn't tell Justin or her friends Mike and Sarah because he didn't want them to worry. HANA on the other hand was something he was going to take as well because without HANA then it may not be a successful mission.


"Edward, Bella," Emmett said coming back downstairs.

"What is it Emmett," Bella asked.

"Rhiannon's in Italy and we have to go and save her," he said.

"Why do you think that she's in Italy," Bella asked.

"It's Jane we're talking about Bella. She works for the Volturi, and there is nothing that they would like better than to get rid of us. Rhiannon is the key to do that," Emmett said.

"How are we going to get into the castle without them knowing that we are there," Edward asked.

"With this," Emmett said holding up the huge bottle of lotion.

"What is that," Bella asked.

"I don't know what it is, but Rhiannon saw it in one of her blackouts and somehow made the concoction. She said that when a vampire wears it than that vampire can go into the sunlight without showing their true identity," Emmett answered.

"Are you sure about that," Edward asked.

Before Emmett could reply the phone rang and Esme picked it up.

"Hello," she answered, "of course I will put the phone on speaker," she said after a short pause.

"Edward listen to Emmett. He's telling the truth. I just had a vision that confirmed it. All three of you were walking around Volterra in the sunlight, but you weren't sparkling. It's the only way to bring back Rhiannon," Alice's musical voice came through the speaker.

"Alright Alice, keep everyone safe back there because nobody knows what might happen.
We should be home within the next few weeks or so after the trial is over," Edward answered.

The line went dead after that and everyone started rushing around in a flurry. Esme left a message on the school phone letting the school know that Rhiannon, Bella, Leah, and Emmett were going to be absent for the next three days, but they would rejoin the school and graduation preparations on Thursday.

Esme would be the one to hold down the fort until they got back from their rescue mission. She was going to be sitting at home deep with worry until they all came walking back through that door together and happy.

All three of them picked up Leah on the way and they made their way in HANA towards Europe. They loaded the car onto a ship that was headed towards England. From England they would take a small ferry to France and then drive through France towards Italy. It didn't seem to be that difficult of a mission, but complications were going to arise for them all during this most important mission.