Broken Hearted on the Mend

Chapter 21

Rhiannon's Point of View

I woke up in a lot of pain. I didn't know where I was, but my head throbbed as if someone took a hammer to it more than once. I was cold and my beautiful new dress was completely ruined. It was dirty and torn in places. My hair was a mess as far as I could tell just by touching it. I was cold and I felt alone.

"Emmett," I whispered hoarsely.

There was no answer after about five seconds and I was beginning to get worried. Emmett always came when I called him, but he didn't this time. I didn't understand it. I stood up and almost stumbled back to the ground because my ankle gave me a shot of pain up my leg. A door opened nearby and I was temporarily blinded by bright light, since the room was in complete darkness.

"Awe, I see that she has woken up my brothers," a male voice said excitedly.

"Who are you," I tried to say with confidence, but it came out as a whisper.

"We, dear one, are known as the Volturi and we have a few questions to ask you," he said again.

"Names, I want names not just some whacked out group of people," I demanded growing stronger, but I could still feel the fear trying to lick its way through my body.

"My apologies my dear, my name is Aro, and these are my brothers Marcus and Caius," Aro answered me with a smile.

"Why can't I see anything," I demanded.

"We prefer to interrogate someone in the dark," Caius snapped.

"But why, what did I ever do to you," I asked.

"Why, nothing my dear, we are just curious to know a few things," Aro said.

I didn't believe him. I could tell he was hiding something from me and I was adamant at finding out what it was. I backed away from them, but because I couldn't see, I backed into a hard solid wall.

"Where the hell am I," I almost screamed.

"You, my dear are in the castle of Volterra, Italy," Aro said.

I was in Italy. I couldn't believe that I was in Italy. I don't even remember how long I was in Italy for or how I got to Italy for that matter. The fear that I was trying so hard to suppress started growing rapidly. I didn't know who these people were or if they were going to hurt me. I felt a searing pain on my shoulder blade and doubled over.

"My dear what is wrong," Aro said.

"I don't know," I huffed heavily.

"Dear are you okay," Aro asked.

"I don't know," I heaved out as the pain increased a millisecond.

Just as soon as the pain started it suddenly stopped. I instantly stood up so that I didn't show how weak I really was from it. I swallowed the moans of pain. I knew they were vampires because their eyes gave them away instantly. The problem was, was that I didn’t know why they wanted me.

"Well, if you are no longer in pain, then maybe you can answer a few questions for us," Caius spat.

"What do you want to know," I asked defensively.

"Why are the Cullen's trying to protect you so much," Aro asked gently.

"I don't know," I fibbed.

"Are you sure," he pressed.

"They love me," I answered sort of truthfully.

"Aw, how cute is that," Caius scoffed.

"It's true," I defended myself.

"Why are living with them," Aro asked cutting off Caius's next remark.

"They took me in when my Aunt died," I lied.

"Really, and what is your relationship with Mr. Emmett Cullen," Caius spat.

"That is none of your business," I hissed.

"Miss Hart," Aro said gently, but I interrupted him.

"How do you know my name," I asked.

"It's my job to know these things," Aro smiled kindly.

I knew that he was lying. I didn't know how I knew, but I had this feeling that anything that
Aro told me was a lie and that I couldn't believe him. I had to trust my gut feelings and right now my gut feeling was strongly telling me to lie flat out. I was just glad that I could lie good. Edward taught me the basics and I just sort of picked it up from there.

"One last question dear," Aro said.

"When I can I leave," I demanded gaining some confidence.

"Oh, not for awhile my dear, you see I have good plans for you my dear and so you can't
leave ever," he said with a sadistic grin that was really creepy. I didn't like it.

"Why can't I leave," I asked.

"Because my dear, there are things I need to be sure of before I let you go anywhere, and even if I am sure I don't think I like the idea of you knowing about vampires and living, so you may never, ever leave this place again," he said.

"I didn't do anything to you," I said.

"On the contrary, young one, you did," he answered.

"What in the world did I ever do to you," I asked incredulously.

"You will find out in due time, my sweet," he replied and then left the room with his brothers.

I ran towards the door and tried to yank it open, but to no avail. I was trapped and I had nowhere to go and I was getting scared that Emmett and the others forgot about me. I sat in the corner of the cold, damp room and started rocking back and forth. Occasionally I would wipe the tears away from my eyes because I didn't feel like shedding any tears since I felt that to be a sign of weakness and that was something I didn't want to show. I don't know how long I was kept in the dark.

I was lead to the bathroom and to the shower blindfolded. I wasn't given any new clothes, but I didn't care. Aro and Caius kept asking questions and I didn't know what the hell they were even talking about so I told them that I didn't know. They didn't believe me and every time that I gave the same answer I received a blow to the stomach, to my legs, and to my arms. They didn't touch my face though. My fear was starting to take over and I didn't like it.

One night, or day, I wasn't sure because I was stuck in the darkness I heard a faint commotion. I didn't know what it was, but suddenly the door opened with a loud bang and I jumped about a mile in the air. I couldn't even blink before I felt my body being lifted into the air. I wanted to scream, but I couldn't get it past the lump in my throat. I felt the wind rushing past my face as someone ran with me. I looked down at the arms that had me and I noticed that they were female, but they were also really, really cold. It reminded me of Emmett, which tore at my heart because I felt that he had abandoned me when I needed him the most. I closed my eyes because the wind began to be too much for me and it hurt to keep them open.

Emmett's Point of View

Bella was driving HANA towards Italy when Edward got a phone call. It was Alice telling him that Rhiannon was no longer in Volterra. She wasn't sure where she was headed, but it looked like two female vampires had taken her from the palace. She kept getting flashes of them changing their minds. First they decided to take her to Germany, but then they thought that it was too close to Italy, so then they thought about Asia, but that was way too far. They finally decided on South America. Bella turned HANA around and we loaded her up on a cargo plane.

We would be in South America in a matter of minutes. I wanted to get Rhiannon back and safe with me because I couldn't live without her. I needed her so that I could keep living. Without her and without my Rosalie I was absolutely nothing. I didn't enjoy the feeling of the emptiness inside of me when Rosalie was gone, but it was inevitable. About five hours, which felt like days to me, the plane finally landed in South America and we all unloaded HANA and drove off towards the Amazons. Edward made Bella stop the car half way there and he got out phone in hand and then started running. I was curious about this and almost followed him, but both Bella and Leah told me not to. I slumped in the front seat and started sulking. HANA took over the driving after she transformed into a pickup truck again to navigate through the Amazons better. Bella had talked to Zafrina on the phone when we were still in the air and she had agreed to keep a good lookout for a human and two female vampires.

The only possibility that we had left was to wait until either one of us, Bella, Leah, or myself, to catch the scent of a specific human girl and that could take days or weeks since the Amazons were huge.

Third Person Point of View

The two females had heard the commotion in the forests of New Hampshire and went to look and see. They saw vampires fighting and another vampire running with a human girl. One of the females recognized the one running with the human girl and her dead heart clenched in pain. She couldn't go back to him now because she had watched him fall in love with the human. She didn't blame him because he thought that she was dead. The second female stood next to her and watched as the two kid looking vampires attacked with force.

The female kid was pissed that her powers weren't working so she was attacking everywhere and everything. The blonde vampire that was watching the whole scene play out recognized the two younger vampires as well as the two who were fighting side by side, almost hand in hand with each other. She still didn't understand how she was alive after being burned. Her companion wouldn't tell her what happened either, and that was frustrating. When she first re-opened her eyes she wanted to go back to the man she loved, but her companion told her no because there would be too many questions asked. Surprisingly she listened to her companion and stayed away.

She had been hiding in the shadows for so long now that it felt like she wasn't even there at all anyway. The vampire with copper hair looked in their direction and she thought that she saw them, but he was looking towards Jane instead. She let out a relieved sigh. The other one who was with her kept her eyes on the human girl and when the caramel hair colored vampire took her away, the blonde knew that it was time to follow her. They had been watching this particular girl for months now because her companion said that she was special and that she needed to stay human as long as possible.

The blonde wasn't too happy at first because she still remembered her resentment towards one particular human girl five years ago. When the blonde was resurrected she spent an entire year as a human and then was turned back into a vampire. Being human was fun for her, but it reminded her too much of her first human years. Her companion, who had straight auburn hair, was very mysterious and wouldn't talk much, but the blonde trusted her. Both of them fed off of animals, which was a relief to the blonde because that was all she knew how to do.

"Rosalie, let's hurry. Jane has the girl, we need to get her back," the auburn haired vampire said quickly.

Rosalie nodded in response and began to run after Jane. She was a lot faster now and she liked it. Her personality was different as well. She understood that Emmett had moved on and at first it pained her to see him with another girl, but she realized that he was happy, so she continued to stay with her auburn haired friend. Now she was helping her save the girl that Emmett loved and she felt happy that she could help. They followed Jane across the ocean and through most of France.

At the edge of Italy the sun began to rise so they found a shaded place and waited for nightfall again. Once night had hit they both took off at once. They couldn't attack immediately. The girl, who Rosalie had heard Emmett call Rhia, was still out cold. The minute the Volturi put her in a cold tower room, Rosalie was about to pounce and get her, but the auburn haired companion stopped her.

"No Rosalie, wait until they question her. We have to keep a low profile, so we keep the element of surprise," the auburn haired woman said.

"Why do we have to wait so long Kira," Rosalie asked growing impatient.

"Calm down Rose, we have to wait because if we don't then they will catch on. They don't know we are here mainly because they can't smell us and can't hear us," Kira said.

"I'm still curious as to how you did that," Rose said.

"Answers will come in due time. First we need to make sure that she is not hurt," Kira said with force.

Rose nodded her head and continued to watch what was going on in the palace. She had never before been to see the Volturi personally, in Italy that is, but she knew that they were dangerous vampires and that the act of kindness they showed to others before brutally destroying them was just that an act and it ticked her off.

Felix and Demetri were dead and she had wished that she had been the one to destroy them with her new gifts, but she was happy that Emmett had taken care of them as well as Alec. The Volturi were slowly being decimated and that's exactly how Kira wanted it. She and Kira had destroyed the remaining Romanians and Kira was satisfied with them. Rose knew that she was pissed at the two clans, but didn't know why.

Rose and Kira continued to watch the Volturi Palace. They heard screams of pain and whimpering from the cold tower and Rose caught Kira gripping her hands into fists. She was curious about Kira's sudden behavior because it was different. When Rose was living as a human Kira had been there through thick and thin. Rose almost went to prison, but Kira had come to her rescue and bailed her out. Kira had sat with Rose through her second transformation, and now all Rose could think about was paying her back for all the generosity that she was given.

She had been given a third chance to live her life and she was really grateful for it. The night that they had struck Kira had told Rose that all she had to do was distract Aro and the others by showing them her gifts. She was going to be the one to take Rhia because she said that the Volturi Brothers would recognize her. Rose wore a dark brown wig to cover her blonde locks and entered the palace at the underground level.

She knew that Emmett and Edward were coming to get her, but Kira was adamant at getting Rhia first. Rose went up to the receptionist, whose name was Gianna, and asked to meet with Aro and his brothers. She made a simple phone call and then led Rose through the doors. She was a fairly good actress so she put on her best smile and walked into the room where Aro and his brothers, including Jane and the rest of the guard, stood waiting impatiently.

"I see we have a new addition to the vampire society," Aro said with a disgustingly fake smile.

"Yes, my name is Sophie Reynolds and I was changed a few days ago. I'm confused at what I'm supposed to do and I heard about you from tourists, so I thought that maybe you could help," Rose lied fluently.

"Awe, my dear, no need to be confused any longer, let's see you said you were changed a few days ago," he asked.

"Yes, I was attacked and I couldn't escape. He ended up biting me, but realized that, that wasn't what he wanted to do so he left me to die. I felt burning and pain throughout my entire body. When I opened my eyes later, I found myself like this," Rose lied again.

"I see. Do you have any gifts," he asked.

"Gifts," Rose asked confused.

"Well, see some vampires are blessed with certain gifts and if you have any, then we must know, so that we could see if you might want to join our clan," he answered with that fake smile that was getting on Rose's last nerve.

"Oh, so these gifts, do they make these vampires special," Rose asked.

Aro nodded.

"I think I might have a few," she replied.

"A few, we have never heard of a vampire with more than one gift, please demonstrate them for us," he gestured towards the center of the room.

Kira heard everything and she smiled at Rose's success. This was going to be all too easy to get back her sister. Kira and Rhiannon had been best friends when they both lived in California. She missed her when she had been changed. She had gone to a party with Rhiannon and was kidnapped. She witnessed Rhiannon go through a state of shock when they had pronounced her dead, because they couldn't find her body and it killed her to stay away, but she knew that she was dangerous and could hurt Rhiannon and she didn't want to.

Kira had experienced some different changes once she had been changed. She was confused and felt alone. Kira had travelled to Washington and watched from afar as the Cullens hunted and followed their lead. She watched in horror as her new companion had been destroyed. When the burly one had finally left the buried remains, she uncovered them and tried her new powers out. She reformed the ashes to what she remembered Rosalie to be like and it worked, well partially. Rose was reformed into a human for a year and then she was subjected to the pain of being transformed again.

Rose showed the Volturi what she could do. She manipulated fire out of the palm of her hand, she showed them how she made things explode with the flick of her wrist and she watched Aro's face light up in delight. When Rose finished showing her powers to Aro, he clapped like the idiot he was. Kira took her chance when she heard Aro begin to speak. She silently took out the two guards guarding Rhia and she entered the room. Rhia looked up and it looked like she was really scared. Kira picked her up and started running.

She was aware of Rhia falling asleep because of the wind. When she woke up Kira would have to manipulate her appearance so that she didn't look like her best friend. She hated to lie, but she wasn't ready for her to know the truth just yet. She still had to go through the transformation of becoming a vampire before Rhia could know and understand the truth about her true destiny. Rose left soon after and joined up with Kira as they ran towards Germany. Rose had told Kira of the girl named Alice who could see when someone made a decision. Kira continued to change her mind until she settled on South America. She knew that they had friends there and wanted the friends to look after Rhia until it was time for her to embrace her true destiny.

Kira and Rose ran towards South America and when they entered the Amazons she stopped dead in her tracks. Rose was carrying Rhia at the moment and she was feather light, but then again she was a vampire so it didn't really matter. Kira inhaled deeply and she caught the scent of the Amazon vampires and ran in that direction. The Amazons met them half way and when they came across each other the Amazons prepared to attack.

"Please, do not attack. I just came for a favor," Kira said gently.

"Who are you both," the leader demanded.

"My name is Hailie and this is my friend and companion Felicia," Kira lied smoothly.

"My name is Zafrina and these are my sisters, how can we help," she asked.

"I need you to watch after my unconscious friend," she said urgently.

Zafrina's eyes travelled towards the unconscious body in 'Felicia's' arms and her eyes widened. She recognized the appearance of the girl that Bella described over the phone. Zafrina nodded and so 'Felicia' gently handed over the body to one of the other Amazon's arms. With a quick nod in thanks to the Amazon Vampires' Kira turned and ran off. Rose followed, but when they were close to the border of the ocean, Rose was yanked back hard. Kira didn't see it and Rose stood up quickly and looked into the eyes of her brother Edward.

"Rose," he asked astonished.