Broken Hearted on the Mend

Chapter 22

Rose stood up and backed away from her brother that she hadn't seen in years. She was screaming at herself in her mind to tell him the truth, but she knew it would jeopardize Kira's plan and she didn't want to do that.

"You must have me confused with someone else," she answered darkly.

Edward gave her a curt nod and she took off at a fast run towards Kira. She caught up with her and Kira was standing stiff as a stone.

"Why didn't you embrace your brother," she asked.

"My loyalties are to you right now because you are the one who brought me back," Rose answered simply.

Kira looked towards her companion with wide eyes.

"Can I tell you a secret," Kira said lowering her eyes to the ground.

"Anything," Rose said.

"Well, when I was human I was best friends with Rhiannon. She wasn't the partying type of person when I was with her and neither was I so we had a wonderful friendship. Well, we decided to go to a party during the summer before junior year of high school. Sort of a way to break out of our shell, I guess you could say. We had both been really quiet at first, but then Rhia had met two girls by the names of Kaitlyn and Kristy. They both sort of took her from me.

I had decided to leave early because I wasn't having that much fun. I told Rhia that I was headed home and she said that she would call me in the morning. I never got that phone call because on my way home that night I had been grabbed from behind and dragged down an alleyway. I was scared and I tried to break free but this guy was stronger than any other guy I had come across. He was going to rape me, but instead he bit my neck. I felt the pain and I felt my life being drained, but it was as if he had been shocked because he quickly left and I was lying on the ground writhing in pain that was unknown to human eyes," Kira told Rose.

"Did I tell you of how I first became a vampire," Rose asked.

Kira shook her head no, but she didn't need Rose to tell her because when she had resurrected her she had seen her past.

"You don't need to tell me, because when I resurrected your ashes all of your human and vampire memories were replayed for me in my head," Kira said before Rose could speak.

"Why did you resurrect me," Rose asked.

"I needed someone I could trust and when I was watching your family and realized that the Volturi had made a mistake I thought that maybe you would want revenge, so I brought you back," Kira said.

"You said that you wanted revenge on the Volturi, what did they do to you," Rose asked.

"It wasn't me specifically that they hurt; it was an ancient vampire and her sister. Rhiannon and I were just like sisters when I was human so I figured that was why their spirits inhabited my vampire body," Kira said.

"What spirits," Rose was really curious now.

"It's only one spirit that came to me actually. Her name was Brianna Justicia and her sister's name was Gracie. They had been the most powerful vampires in the universe, sort of like the mother of them all. The Volturi were under their rule until one day Caius attacked a human and angered them. The ancients at the time had been slowly growing weaker by the day, so when the Volturi joined forces with Romanians' they were able to overthrow them both. Gracie was destroyed first and then Brianna. Brianna was the younger of the two, which is ironic because Rhia was older than me, well, when I was human of course," Kira explained."

"How did you find this out," Rose wondered.

"Well, about ten days after my transformation I had experienced blackouts and couldn't really remember what they meant or what they were about, but they always showed me the same thing. A huge battle with the Volturi rising above the smoke, and every time that I woke up from these blackouts I grew angry. I found out my powers about fifteen days after my transformation and that scared me the most, so I looked back into the history of vampires and read about the two females who were the mothers of all vampires.

Brianna's powers were very similar to mine, so I figured Brianna's spirit had come back for revenge. I also deduced that Gracie was back as well and still searching for her vampire body to inhabit. Brianna must have figured out how close I was to Rhiannon, so somehow she managed to get the message to Gracie. Unfortunately, Rhia's human body is too weak for Gracie's power, so if she doesn't get changed into a vampire soon, Rhia will die and Gracie will no longer be able to get the revenge she deserves," Kira explained.

Rose was stunned. She never really thought about the histories of the vampire world. Carlisle had always told her that the Volturi had been the rulers, but then again it was most likely because he became a vampire under their rule. Rose was always having an internal battle when it came to watching Emmett from afar, but she knew that the man she once loved had moved on. It was hard for him at first, but he did move on.

"I'm sorry if I hurt you in any way," Kira whispered sadly.

"What do you mean," she asked bewildered.

"I notice the way that you look at Emmett from afar and how you long to be back in his arms. It kills you to see him with Rhia," Kira answered.

"It's alright Kira. It was my decision to stay away after you resurrected me," Rose replied.

"Come on, we better keep a closer eye on Rhia. Her graduation is in two days and then she has to go to a court hearing for that bastard of an uncle she was stuck with," Kira said venom in her voice at that last part.

"What about Mike and Sarah," Rose asked.

"I knew Mike and Sarah when I was human as well. They are nice and sincere, but they need to stay away from Rhia from now on, otherwise their little missions that they go on concerning that super car of theirs will be badly damaged," Kira replied.

"They said that they are going to the court hearing and to her graduation to show their support. What do you think of Justin," Rose asked.

"Justin is a no good rotten liar. If he hadn't agreed to do this little charade Rhia wouldn't have had to live with her uncle in the first place," Kira said a small trace of venom in her voice.

"We could always get rid of Justin," Rose suggested.

"No, we can't. I may dislike Mike and Sarah for lying to Rhiannon in the first place, but I can't take revenge on them. As for Justin, we won't be able to. The Volturi already think that if they kill Justin then Rhia will move away from the Cullens and be too devastated to even live her life anymore, and they are correct. I see it now. Justin is going to die and then Mike and Sarah are going to tell her the truth, so she's going to go to the funeral to pay her respects and then she makes a run for it because she feels that she is surrounded by lies. That's where we step in and make sure she doesn't harm herself in anyway," Kira explains.

Rose nods her head and then they both begin to run towards Massachusetts to begin their watches again.

Rhiannon's Point of View

When I opened my eyes I see Emmett staring at me with a concerned look in them. I want to hug him right away, but then the memory of him not caring to come and rescue me butts in and I grow slightly hurt. I try to move away from him, but his arms are too fast for me and he holds me tightly.

"Rhia, I did try to save you. We were on our way to Italy when someone else got to you first and took you to South America," he answers my unasked question.

"How did you know what I was thinking? I thought Edward was the one who could hear thoughts," I asked bewildered.

"Your eyes gave it away," he said.

"I thought you gave up on us," I said laying my head on his broad chest.

"Never," he whispered in my ear sending a chill down my spine.

The rest of the week was a blur. Graduation practice was boring. People asked me if I was feeling alright and I said I was and that I just had a small case of the stomach flu for a couple of days. It was easy to lie, seeing as though I had lied the entire school year about my true feelings, well except to Emmett and the family that I did know. All too soon Saturday approached and I was in Bella's bedroom getting ready for graduation. Leah was there with us and we were having fun. I wore a simple black and white dress with a small black shawl and black heels. Bella wore a simple blue dress and Leah went with the earthy tone of forest green. It suited her personality. Throughout the graduation practice I couldn't help but think about the voices I heard when I had passed out from the strong current of wind hitting my face.

I had been so sure that my best friend since first grade, Kira Bennett had rescued me. I could have sworn that I had heard another female voice with her. I always shook my thoughts away because I was already stressed out enough. My Valedictorian speech was going to be short and simple and I had only two days to work on it since I had been kidnapped. Emmett went out and bought me a gown that matched perfectly to the one that got ruined. I told him that he didn't have to, but he had insisted on it. I became aware of Edward being a little more distant then usual as if he was pondering on thoughts that were bothering him. I thought maybe of asking him about it.

"Hey, Bella I'll meet you guys at the school, I have some last minute preparations to do," I told them when I noticed Edward wasn't with them by the front door after we were all ready to
go.

They nodded and I waited until I heard the car leave. I walked to Edward's study and tapped on the door. He opened it in a matter of seconds.

"Aren't you supposed to be at the school early," he asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Yes, but aren't you supposed to be there supporting your wife and brother," I asked defensively.

"Yeah, it's just these past few days I can't help, but feel like something is off," he answered.

"Do you want to talk about it," I asked.

"Well, it was when we went after you. We had followed whoever had taken you to the Amazons and I had gotten a phone call from my sister Alice who told me that she had seen someone who looked exactly like Rosalie, and she told me to check it out. Well, when I questioned her, I couldn't read her thoughts, but I could have sworn that she looked exactly like her," he said getting really agitated.

"I thought that Rosalie was destroyed five years ago," I said feeling my heart break a little bit.

"That's the thing though, she was destroyed. We were all stunned by the acts of the two vampires who destroyed her because she had done nothing wrong," he said throwing his hands up in exasperation.

"Come on, we better go before we're late," I said trying to lighten the mood.

He nodded and we got into HANA and she took control and drove us to the ceremony. I was surprised at how fast the ceremony went. I made my speech, a couple of students showed off their talents and we all got our diplomas. As I walked across the stage to get my high school diploma I looked in the crowd and saw Mike and Sarah, but Justin was nowhere in sight. He had told me that he wasn't going to miss the ceremony. I saw Edward and he had his phone to his ear.

The expression that went across his face made my body freeze in instant terror and coldness. I continued to walk stiffly to the back where I actually received my true diploma and took a picture with it. When everyone had walked across the stage I immediately found Edward and looked him straight in the eye.

"Rhia, your brother Justin was in a fatal car accident on his way here. The Volvo was totaled and he died instantly," he said in a monotone.

The tears came fast. I dropped my diploma and before anyone could stop me I ran towards the double doors of the gym. HANA was parked out front and I opened the drivers' side door and climbed in.

"Lock the doors and go," I demanded through the tears.

"Miss Hart, what is the matter," she asked.

"JUST GO HANA," I screamed.

The car obeyed and started driving. Halfway back to the house I told her to head towards New Hampshire because I wanted to see Justin's body in the morgue. I don't know why I wanted to put myself through so much more pain, but I did. When I saw his body I cried at the paleness of his face and the cold that his body radiated. It was a different feeling of coldness than the one that Emmett gave off. This one seemed colder by far. I left the morgue and told HANA to drive through the forest until she came to a cliff overlooking the ocean.

I got out and sank to the ground and cried some more. When all of my tears were used up I got back on my feet and walked towards the edge. I wanted to die now. That's all I ever wanted to do was to die the minute my uncle had started beating me up. My parents were taken from me and now my brother that I had just gotten to know after so many years of not knowing that I even had a brother. Life sucked and I hated it. I wanted to die.

Third Person Point of View

Rose and Kira were trailing Rhia's every movement. They grew worried when they saw her run towards her super car and drive off. Kira especially wanted to make sure that Rhia was okay and when they found her standing at the edge of a cliff Kira wanted to pounce and pull her away before she made the decision to kill herself. Kira knew what she was thinking and how life always seemed to give her the short end of the stick and that she hated it. It really hurt Kira to know that Rhia was so ready to give up her life just because something went wrong.

Rosalie was clenching her fists because this reminded her of when Bella wanted to give up everything just so she could be with Edward. Rosalie wasn't about to let another human do that. She was about to make her move, but before she could Rhiannon had jumped and let out a scream of what sounded like the thrill of a lifetime. She was about to go after her when another body came out of nowhere and jumped in after her. Rosalie looked at Kira, who had a bewildered expression on her face. They were both shocked.

Emmett's Point of View

Graduation was boring. The only thing that kept me awake was the knowledge that Rhia was speaking to the entire school. When her speech was done I was amazed at all of the heartfelt words she spoke. Her biggest dedication was to her dead parents because she truly did love them. I had noticed that she was looking for someone and I guessed it to be Justin. After we had all received our diplomas and switched our tassels over it became a madhouse of hats flying and screams and shouts. I tried to push my way through the crowd as gently as possible in order to not hurt the fragile humans when I saw Rhia run out of the building. I walked over to Edward, who had picked up her diploma with a concerned look on his face.

"Edward, what happened," I asked.

"The local New Hampshire hospital just called and informed me that Justin died instantly in a fatal car accident on his way here," he said.

I was shocked. Justin seemed to be a strong person. I didn't know where everything went wrong, but it apparently did. My only thoughts now were directed towards Rhia and her safety.

"Edward, we have something to tell you," Mike said coming up to us.

"What is it Mike," he asked for the sake of the rest of us.

"Justin wasn't really Rhiannon's brother. My organization fabricated his identity because we thought that he could help us take down her uncle," he admitted rubbing the back of his neck in shame.

"Justin isn't Rhia's brother," I asked.

"No, his true name is Evan Corday. We approached him a couple of years ago. Before the fatal accident of Rhia's parents to see if we could apprehend her uncle. We already knew that Maria wasn't her true aunt either. She was a step-sister to Rhia's father and all she wanted was money from the state, which is why she posed as a blood relative.

It is true that Kyle was beating her and she thought that maybe taking in a child to raise no matter how old the child was would maybe help calm his anger. She had been wrong when she saw signs of bruising on Rhia. She didn't want to say anything because she thought that it had been an accident, until she had walked in on Rhia being beaten, which in the end resulted in Maria's death," Mike explained since the noise had died down.

"So Justin, I mean Evan, is now dead. Why didn't anyone think about letting Rhiannon know that people were posing as other people to try and catch a potential criminal," I demanded angrily.

"We didn't think it all the way through," Sarah admitted sadly.

"Damn straight. Now, Rhiannon is out somewhere doing God knows what, and I have no idea where to start looking for her," I all but yelled at them.

"I'm sorry, Emmett, you are Emmett right," Mike asked.

"Yes, I'm Emmett," I answered exasperated.

"Sorry, we just never met officially until now," Mike defended.

"Em, you might want to get a head start on looking for Rhia. She might do something drastic," Edward said.

I nodded my head and left as quickly as I possibly could. I looked in the parking lot for HANA, but the car was nowhere to be seen.

"Here take KITT," Mike said handing me the keys to the black mustang sitting at the curb.

I nodded my head in thanks and got in.

"Hello, where is Michael," the car asked.

"He's with my family looking for a dear friend of mine. My name is Emmett," I answered.

"Hello Emmett, where would you like me to go," the car asked.

"Just stop talking and let me drive," I said.

"Certainly," KITT answered and was silent.

I started the car and sped away from the school. I wanted to make sure that Rhia was alright. I headed towards New Hampshire. I caught a whiff of her scent and followed it to the hospital. From the hospital it led me to a cliff's edge. I parked KITT next to HANA and crept towards Rhia. She was standing at the very edge and I saw a single tear drop to the ground.

The next thing I saw made me stand in shock for just a couple of seconds. She jumped and let out an agonizing scream of pain. I wasn't going to let her go that easily, so I ran after her and jumped as well. I caught up to her falling body and pulled her into my chest and then I did a flip to where she was above me and I would take the full force of the fall. We landed in the water and went under.

I flipped back around and pulled her onto my back and began to swim towards the shore. We had been farther out than I had anticipated because by the time we reached the shore Rhia was barely breathing. I laid her out flat on the ground and started pumping her chest.

"Don't you dare leave me Rhiannon," I said between pumps to the chest.

I blew air into her lungs and continued to pump her chest. She finally started coughing up water and I backed off to give her some air. She continued to cough until all of the water was out and she was breathing hard.

"Rhia are you okay," I asked her my voice full of concern.

She looked at me and her eyes immediately started to water.

"Why Emmett, why did you save me," she asked.

"I love you God Damn It," I said pulling her into my chest.

She just sobbed into my chest. She was riddled with pain for losing someone she thought she knew. I wasn't going let anything happen to her that put her in danger. I hadn't been careful once and she had been taken by Jane. I wasn't going to let that happen again.

Third Person Point of View

In the treetops Rose and Kira were watching the scene play out. Rose couldn't be angry with Emmett for professing his love to another girl when he thought that she was still dead. If either one of them could shed a single tear they would be crying like babies at what they were witnessing. Kira was satisfied that Rhia hadn't died on her graduation night. She needed to stay alive for awhile longer.

Rose wasn't going to enjoy the fact that Rhia was to get pregnant by Emmett in order for her transformation to begin. Kira was waiting for the perfect time to tell Rose so that she was prepared to really give up the one she loved, but it wouldn't be in vain either. Rose was destined for another person, and this person would be one that would change her life forever as well.

Emmett took Rhia home in HANA and KITT followed behind. Through the trees Rose and Kira followed as well. Their job was to keep Rhia protected at all costs. Kira knew that Rhia was going to make a run for it later on. She didn't want to stay in Massachusetts anymore. Her life there was over. New Hampshire was out of the question as well. When Emmett pulled into the driveway of the house he brought Rhia instead and she was engulfed in so many hugs that she could barely breathe. Emmett gave the keys to KITT back to Mike, who only nodded his head in response to Emmett's unvoiced thanks.

"Rhiannon, are you alright," Sarah asked hovering over her.

"I'm fine Sarah. I just needed time to think alone," she answered shivering from the cold clothes that she was wearing.

"Rhia, let's get you out of those wet clothes," Bella said taking her hand and leading her up the stairs.

Emmett was about to follow, but Edward grabbed his arm and shook his head no in response. Emmett just nodded and sat down with a heavy sigh and putting his head in his hands.

"Em, you saved her tonight, you shouldn't be second guessing it," Esme said gently.

"She asked me why I saved her though," he muttered.

"You mean she was trying to commit suicide," Sarah asked concerned.

"Yes. She grew real close to Justin, I mean Evan when he first showed up, and now that he's gone she feels that her life should end," Emmett said.

Rhiannon hadn't told him this, but he knew by just the way she worded her question when she gained consciousness back. Upstairs Bella was helping Rhiannon undress from her wet dress. When Rhiannon took off her soaked sweater Bella let out a gasp of surprise and instantly the room was crowded by everyone, well actually Mike and Sarah were the last ones to enter.

"Bella, what's the matter honey," Edward asked.

"Rhiannon's shoulder blade," Bella answered.

Everyone's eyes went straight to Rhiannon's shoulder blade and they all let out a gasp of surprise.

"Rhia, when did you get a tattoo," Emmett asked stunned.

"I don't have a tattoo," Rhiannon said.

Before Emmett could answer Rhiannon's comment, Leah had pulled her in front of mirror turned her around so her back faced it and then gave her a hand held mirror to hold.

"Now do you believe us," she said with her hands on her hips.

Rhiannon looked at the handheld mirror and her mouth opened slightly. On her shoulder blade was a tattoo of a heartagram with wings covering it so only the top of the heart showed and two points of the pentagram showed at the bottom of the wings. She was amazed at what she was seeing because she never in her life thought about getting a tattoo.

Her parents didn't believe in damaging the body that way. She wanted to get it removed because she didn't like it, even if it was small enough that it was hardly noticeable.
Outside in the treetops Kira was watching and she had a smile on her face. Gracie had marked Rhiannon in front of the Volturi and they never noticed. She was relieved that they hadn't noticed it before.

Jane, who had been watching as well, turned and ran back towards Italy to tell here master what she had seen. It was the sign that they had been waiting for, at least that's what she thought. With Kira keeping a close eye on Rhia, she didn't notice
Rosalie moving against the trees.

"Guys, can I please have a moment alone," she asked.

They all nodded their heads and left Rhiannon alone. She felt like crap and just needed a breather from everyone. She went to the closet and pulled on a pair of black sweat pants and snug light blue T-shirt. When she opened the door to the bathroom to clean up and make sure that she would be able to handle the funeral for her brother she saw a figure sitting on the toilet. She would have let out a scream, but something told her not to, so she immediately closed her mouth.

"I've waited so long to meet the girl that Emmett has fallen for," Rosalie said.

"Who are you," she asked.

"Someone who is going to make damn sure that you stay alive," Rosalie answered.

"Name, please give me a name," she asked.

Rose looked towards the window and saw Kira glaring at her. When Rhia turned around she only saw trees swaying in the wind. She faced the blonde woman again. Rose knew that she was in trouble with Kira, but she just couldn't fight the urge to actually meet Rhiannon anymore. She wanted to make sure that Rhiannon knew what she was doing and how she made Emmett feel.

"I can't tell you my name yet, but in time you will know," she answered lowering her eyes to ground.

Rhiannon furrowed her eyes as she thought about something. Then it clicked in her mind. The picture that she had drawn for Emmett flashed in her head as if a light bulb just went off. She knew who this was because she had seen her in her many blackouts that she had.

"You're Rosalie aren't you," she asked with her eyes still narrowed.

Rosalie was trapped. Now she was definitely in for it. She wasn't supposed to make any contact with her until Kira had said so, but the urge to meet her was too strong and she couldn't pass it up.

"I have to go. Speak of this to no one," she said with a small glare.

Rhiannon just nodded.

Back outside in the treetops Kira was furious. She didn't know where to start when Rose joined her again.

"Rosalie, why did you go inside the house," Kira asked.

"I'm sorry Kira, I couldn't help myself. She's just as nice as you have told me. I was wrong and I won't let it happen again," Rose said her head bent in sadness.

"Rose, I'm not angry okay. I just wish I could have gone with you to see her. You weren't wrong. She needs to know about at least one of us," she told her.

"Kira, Rhiannon will see you again. Maybe not tonight, but soon," Rose said.

"Do you think that she will keep you a secret from everyone," Kira asked.

"I seriously hope so. I did make a mistake though. If Emmett knew that I was still alive then he would definitely run back to me, but Rhiannon needs him more," Rose said.

"You have made a huge sacrifice at giving him up," Kira replied.

Rose nodded her head.

"Your sacrifice will be rewarded in the future Rosalie," Kira said.

Rose's head snapped up instantly.

"What do you mean," she asked.

"I mean that because you willingly gave up Emmett, the one love you knew for many years, your sacrifice will be rewarded. I can't explain more now, but I will in due time," Kira replied.

Rose took what she could so she dropped the subject.

Rhiannon's Point of View

I had finally met Rosalie. Her image had haunted me for months and even though I drew her picture and gave it to Emmett, I had still wanted to know more about her. Maybe now that I had finally met her I would finally get answers. I wrote a quick note and taped it to the windowsill outside. I hoped that Rosalie would get it because all I wanted to do was talk. I finished cleaning myself up and when I went back to the window the note was still fluttering in the wind. I went to the window and opened it and read what Rosalie had written.

Rhiannon,

I will meet you after you leave the house. Don't ask me how I know that you plan to leave, but I do. HANA, your car, has been fixed so that it makes no noise when it is turned on. Drive safely and be careful. I hope that I can answer all of your questions and I seriously hope that you keep me a secret until I am ready to reveal myself to my family.

Yours truly,

Rosalie

PS: The family has gone hunting, so if you want to leave now the coast is clear. Please be
safe.


I crumpled the note in my hand and then stuffed it into my duffel bag that I was going to take with me. I couldn't handle a funeral for my brother. I just couldn't. I barely got through my parents' funeral, but another one, not even a year after my parents' deaths, was something that I couldn't handle at the moment. I had to leave. I felt my heart tugging at my brain and telling me that I shouldn't leave Emmett behind, but I just needed serious alone time. I was eighteen now and I could be on my own for awhile. I don't know when or if I would return to Emmett.

That decision would be made in the future. I just hoped that Emmett wouldn't hate me. I went to the window and jumped to the ground with my duffle bag. I went to HANA and made sure that her system was off. Mike, Sarah, and KITT had left hours ago. They had come up to the room to say goodbye. After I started HANA up I drove off towards the west coast. I didn't have a specific destination in mind; all I knew was that I needed to be alone for awhile, so that I could think and be able to finally find who I truly am and what I'm really supposed to do with my life now that I had no family to count on.

As I was driving I had a feeling that someone was following me, but it didn't scare me in the least because the feeling told me that it was friends, and these friends were going to be with me until the very end.