Broken Hearted on the Mend

Chapter 27

Rhiannon's Point of View

I was pregnant. It was official. I wasn't sure how Emmett would react, but I was definitely scared to tell him. I wanted to keep this baby because I felt like it was supposed to be here. I just hoped that Emmett felt the same way. I knew he had been trying to be careful with me and I was grateful for it, but sometimes things are supposed to happen for a reason and there is nothing anyone could do about it. I knew that and I just hoped that Emmett understood that as well. When we all pulled up into the driveway I took a deep breath.

"It'll be alright Rhia," Bella tried to reassure me.

"Are you sure," I asked.

"Positive. If anything, they will be shocked by the other news instead of yours," she said.

"Thanks," I muttered.

I knew the fact that Rosalie being back and Emmett finally knowing scared me. I was afraid of losing my fiancé, but I had to keep faith. I took a deep breath and headed into the house. Kira got out of the car and headed with me. Rosalie was to wait until after I announce my news to the family. Bella took my hand and led me forward to the house. Before I could tell anyone the news that I was about to say I had to ask Jasper a serious question.

"Jasper, could I speak with you privately please," I asked tentatively.

"Sure," he said moving towards me.

"Edward, do you mind playing the piano? I don't want the family to hear what I'm about to ask," I said.

"Of course I don't mind," he smiled.

"Thank you," I said and led Jasper outside.

I waited until I heard the piano start playing. I took another deep breath and then faced Jasper.

"How does Emmett feel when he's around me," I asked.

"Absolutely happy and joyous," he answered.

"How about when he was around Rosalie," I asked.

"Well he loved her that's for sure, but I honestly think that it was more lust filled love than actual true love like he feels with you," he answered solemnly.

"Thanks Jasper," I said.

"May I ask what this was about," he wondered.

"You'll find out soon enough," I replied and headed back into the house.

Once back inside I managed to take one more deep breath. I was really nervous about what I was about to say. My nerves instantly calmed down when Jasper walked into the room. I looked at him and gave him a weak smile. He returned it and then sat down next to Alice.

"Alright, we have a family meeting for a reason," Carlisle began, "first off; Rhia here has some news to tell everyone. After Rhia's news there is more news that she will announce to everyone," he finished.

All eyes were on me after Carlisle finished his little speech about why they were all gathered in the living room. I closed my eyes and took more deep breaths. It was now or never and they needed to know my condition. I slowly opened my eyes and looked at everyone in turn. My eyes finally landed on Emmett and he gave me one of his genuine smiles and that alone gave me the confidence I needed to say what I needed to say.

"I'm pregnant," I whispered finally looking at the ground.

I heard gasps of surprise from everyone but Bella and Carlisle. When I wouldn't look at any of them after I mentioned my news I felt a cold finger lift my chin up. I was staring into the eyes of Emmett. His eyes were sparkling with what seemed delight, but I could detect a hint of worry in there as well. He took one of his fingers and gently brushed away the single tear that I hadn't known had fallen from my eye.

"I'm sorry," I whispered to him.

"For what," he asked.

"For keeping this from you for seven weeks and then from keeping another secret from you,"
I whispered.

"What secret," he asked gently.

"You'll see," I answered simply.

Rosalie's Point of View

I heard Rhiannon whisper the news and then heard the gasps of surprise. I watched from the car as Emmett walked towards her and lifted her chin and then wiped away her single tear. When she whispered the words 'I'm sorry' to him I grew confused. He wanted to know what other secret she had kept from him. He didn't say the words harshly or demanding, but I knew him well enough to know that, that is the way he meant it. My turn was up finally when I saw Rhiannon turn away from Emmett and look out the window.

He looked out the window too, but didn't see anything since the windows were tinted completely black. Although it wouldn't have mattered anyway, but Rhiannon wasn't looking towards the car, she had been looking towards the forests just beyond the car that I was sitting in.

I took a deep breath and waited for Emmett to turn around and face the family. When he did Rhia looked at me and gave a small swift nod of her head. I took another deep breath and then got out of the car and made my way over to the house. I rang the doorbell as I had been instructed to.

"I'll get it," Rhiannon said cheerfully or as cheerfully as she could sound.

She opened the door a crack and peered at me.

"You ready," she mumbled.

I nodded my head and she opened the door wider. She walked back towards the family, but did not walk towards Emmett as I thought she would have. I walked into the living room and everyone's mouth dropped open in shock, well except for Rhiannon, Kira, Bella, and Carlisle.

Rhiannon had tears spilling out of her eyes and she was standing in the corner. I realized that she thought she was going to lose Emmett to me. I didn't want that at all. I didn't love him anymore and I hoped that he would understand that. Emmett walked right up to me and looked at me.

"Rose is it really you," he asked.

I nodded my head in response.

"How," he asked incredulous.

"That was my doing," Kira spoke up.

Emmett turned to her.

"Who are you," he asked.

"My name is Kira Brinkman. I was turned into a vampire seven years ago. It was before Rhiannon moved to Massachusetts. I had spent an entire year trying to starve myself after I had been turned. It killed me to not drink blood for so long, but then I stumbled across your family one day and watched you all hunt animals. I thought it was odd at first, but I figured it was better than feeding off of humans so I gave it a shot. I continued to watch your family so as not to break any rules that might be around the land until one day you were all in a clearing facing off against two male vampires," Kira explained.

"Dimitri and Felix," Emmett hissed lowly.

"I assume that was what their names were. I watched the whole encounter wondering if I should lend a hand to help in some way, but before I could they had attacked. Rose was the one that decided to be rash it seemed and attacked them. They ripped her to shreds and burned her to ashes. They seemed satisfied with the job that they did so they left. I had watched you, Emmett, fall to your knees after the flames died down and all that was left was Rose's ashes. I felt a little guilty at what I was witnessing because I thought I should have been faster at coming to your aide. After you left and buried the ashes into the ground I went to the site dug them up and managed to reincarnate her as a human for an entire year. She was put through the pain of the transformation again and now here she stands," Kira said calmly.

"Why have you waited until now to show yourself," Alice asked.

"At first I wanted to come back to you guys, but I didn't because I figured you would all be freaked out by my reappearance so I stayed away. I also felt an obligation to Kira for bringing me back. When I first saw you Emmett with Rhiannon I have to admit that I was jealous because I didn't think that you would be able to move on, but as the months had passed through your senior year I realized that what we had wasn't what you have with Rhiannon," I answered.

"What do I have with her," Emmett asked clearly confused.

"I saw you and how you treat her. We had more of a lustful relationship, but I noticed that there is absolute love in your eyes when you look at her. She deserves you more than I do," I said.

I watched as Emmett processed all this information at once. First his fiancée was pregnant and then I return to him after seven years apart. It was a lot to take in on one day, but it was necessary.

"Oh my god," he said a little loudly.

"What," I asked.

"What the hell happened to the possessive, bitchy Rosalie that this family knew for so many years," he demanded.

"Dying and then being brought back really makes you think about things," I countered angrily.

"This really changes everything," he said.

Before I could respond a small sob came from the corner and I saw Rhiannon dart up the stair case. Her worst nightmare was coming true. Emmett's words made it seem like he was leaving her to come back to me. Damn It I didn't want this to happen. I ran up the stairs before Emmett could do anything. Rhiannon needed to hear it from me that I didn't want him back and then she needed to hear it from Emmett that she was the one he wanted and not me. I just hoped that this last part was true.

Rhiannon's Point of View

I watched from the corner of the living room. I was well aware of the tears that were falling from my eyes. I was afraid that Emmett would leave me when he found out that Rosalie was alive. I never asked him if he still had feelings for her because I honestly didn't think it mattered. He gave me a baby in my stomach. He made me really happy. I looked down at the engagement ring on my finger. It was gorgeous. I looked back at Emmett and Rosalie.

They were arguing like an old married couple. The next thing that Emmett had said made my heart stop in its tracks. I let out a tiny sob and ran up the stairs. I flung myself through the door of the bedroom that I shared with him and then fell onto the bed my head buried in the pillows. I sobbed uncontrollably. I knew a lot of it could be early signs of hormones, but I didn't really care. I felt betrayed right now and I didn't know how to handle it.

"Rhia," Rose's voice asked gently.

I rolled over and saw Rosalie standing at the door. She walked into the room and sat down beside me.

"Rhia, I'm not trying to come between the two of you," she said gently.

"I know, but I can't help but think that he doesn't want me anymore," I said thickly through my tears.

"How could you think that," his voice said from the door.

I looked past Rosalie to see Emmett standing there a sad expression on his face.

"You said that Rosalie being back changes everything, what was I supposed to think from that," I demanded.

He let out a sigh of frustration.

"That's not what I meant Rhia. I love you and I will always love you," he said walking forward a little bit.

"Then what the hell did you mean by that statement," I asked trying to hold back tears.

I watched him fumble for an explanation. It was too much to watch, but I kept watching.

"I meant the fact that Rose would want her room back," he said at last.

"This is Rose's room," I asked incredulous.

"It was both of our room. We shared it before I 'died'," Rose said before Emmett could reply.

I looked at her and then I looked at him. Could this really be happening to me? Could I really be losing the man of my dreams to his once 'dead' wife? I couldn't take this anymore. I thought that coming back had been the right thing to do. Now that Rosalie had finally revealed herself to the family I wasn't so sure anymore. I stood up and ran out of the bedroom. I ran out the door and got onto my motorcycle and drove off before anyone could stop me.

My life had been turned upside down again and I didn't know how I could stop it from getting more screwed up further. I drove towards Seattle remembering that Mike and Sarah lived there as well. I wasn't sure where they lived, but I figured it would be good to try and patch up the relationship that I ran from before.

As I drove down the highway and made it into Seattle my bike started swerving out of control. I tried breaking, but that made it worse. I skidded all over the road until I finally smashed into some underbrush just off the freeway. I rolled away from the bike to try and save my stomach. In my rush to leave the house I didn’t put on my jacket. I only had time to put my helmet on and now I'm grateful that I did since I had smacked my head twice on the pavement.

"Emmett," I whispered before blacking out.

Emmett's Point of View

I wanted to stop Rhiannon from running out of the house, but Rose stopped me.

"What Rose? What do you want," I demanded.

"Let her go and think," she said gently.

"I can't just do that. She could get injured and it would be all my fault all because I couldn't leave this room," I said angrily.

"If she gets hurt it will not be your fault Em. If anything it would be my fault," she said.

"What, how would it be your fault," I asked.

"I wasn't planning on coming out in the open this early. I wanted her to get married to you first before I decided to tell everyone that I was alive because I was afraid that you would leave her to come back to me. I saw how hurt and devastated you were when I was destroyed by Felix and Dimitri. I thank you for destroying them for me, but like I said downstairs I no longer have feelings for you," she told me simply.

"Rose I wasn't planning on leaving Rhiannon. Like I told her before she left so abruptly, I love her and no one else but her and for her to think something differently is absurd. I do have to admit though, that it was hard to move on after you had been destroyed. I couldn't stand living here anymore which is how I met Rhiannon in the first place," I said exasperatedly.

"Then let's go find her," Rose grinned at me.

"Rose, we need to hurry it is Rhiannon," Kira said appearing in the bedroom doorway.

"What did you see," Rose asked in a rush.

"She took her bike after she promised not to ride it. She was headed into Seattle to try and find Mike and Sarah to repair the relationship that she ran from a year ago. Just after she got into Seattle her bike swerved and she lost control crashing into some underbrush a little way away from the highway exit that she took and when the bike got into the underbrush she rolled two times across the pavement. She whispered your name Emmett before blacking out," Kira informed them.

My breath caught in my throat. My fiancée and unborn child were injured in the middle of the road in Seattle. I took off out of the house and ran to the garage. I jumped in my Jeep and peeled out of the driveway and sped towards Seattle. After I had taken the Seattle exit off the highway I caught an ambulance speeding off towards the hospital. I followed the hospital and screeched into a parking spot. I rushed in as slow as I possibly could into the ER. I went up to the triage station and waited for the nurse there to acknowledge my presence.

"Excuse me," I said growing impatient fast.

"Can I help you," the nurse asked after staring at me.

"Yes, a patient was just brought in here and I need to see her," I said trying to control the speed of my voice.

"Name," the nurse asked bored.

"Rhiannon Hart," I said growing more frantic.

"Your relationship to her," she asked.

"I'm her husband," I said hurriedly.

"Place this on your shirt so it's visible, enter the ER, go down the hall take a right turn, then keep heading down the hall, make a left turn then the next right and she's in room 32," the nurse said pressing a button that opened the door to the ER.

I rushed forward and followed the directions that the nurse gave me. When I reached Rhiannon's room and saw her laying in the hospital bed breathing deeply and fast asleep I let out a sigh of relief. She looked really banged up, but not too bad. Her hand was resting protectively over her stomach and I immediately went to her bedside and sat down in a chair. I just stared at her trying to will her to wake up with my eyes. I took her hand that was lying on the bed and rubbed it gently with my fingers. I watched as her eyes fluttered open slowly.

"Emmett," she whispered hoarsely.

"Shhh, Rhia I'm here now," I said gently.

"I'm so sorry," she said letting a tear fall down her cheek.

"Don't be sorry. I know that you were hurting. I wasn't trying to hurt you, all I was trying to do was wrap my head around the fact that Rosalie was alive," I explained gently.

"I was the one who jumped to conclusions," she said trying to clear her throat.

"We'll talk later," I said trying to sooth her.

The doctor came into the room just then.

"My baby," Rhiannon said thickly.

"Miss Hart, the spill that you faced today was horrible. You are lucky to be alive with a few minor scrapes and bruises. Your baby is perfectly fine and healthy which is a pure miracle. Someone who took the spill that you did while pregnant would have faced a possible miscarriage," the doctor informed us both.

"Can I go home," she asked.

"Yes you may. Your husband here needs to fill out the discharge papers and then you can leave," the doctor said and then left the room to us.

"Husband," she questioned looking at me.

"The only way I could come in and see you," I smiled sheepishly.

"I'm hoping that we can make it official before I really start showing," she said with a smile.

I smiled down at her and then kissed her forehead. As I walked towards the nurses' station
I passed Rosalie who held a bag in her hands.

"Rose what's that," I asked.

"Clothes for Rhiannon to change into since hers were ruined beyond repair," she answered.

"I'll meet you back at the Jeep," I said.

She nodded her head and I continued to walk towards the nurses' station to fill out the release forms for Rhiannon. I had just finished the last of it when Rosalie led Rhiannon down the hall. I took her in my arms and Rosalie led the way out of the hospital. When we got back to the house Rhiannon changed into a pair of grey sweats and a tank top. She walked down the stairs and then sat down next to me. The minute she did and her head fell back against the back of the sofa I noticed her eyes role back into her head.

"Rhia," I asked getting worried.

She didn't respond. Her breathing became hitched and uneven.

"Rhiannon," I said a little louder.

In an instant the room filled with our family members. I went to go and shake her, but a voice stopped me.

"Emmett don't," Kira said.

I looked at her and glared.

"What do you mean," I asked.

"Leave her be. She's seeing something," she answered.

"What," I asked.

"She's seeing into the future. Alice gets a blank look on her face because she can control the reactions a bit better, but because Rhia is still human the side effects of the visions are stronger," Kira said.

"She's right Emmett. Before I was turned I experienced similar things from what I can barely remember," Alice said gently.

I was shocked. Rhia could see into the future to. I didn't know how to handle that. I sat next to her and just stared. Within the next five seconds Rhia's features became normal again and her breathing became regular as well.

"Rhiannon," I asked tentatively.

She stared at me and smiled.

"Emmett what would you say if I asked you to turn me into a vampire," she asked.

I froze immediately. I had thought about, but not for very long. Edward and I talked about it and if I really wanted to than that would be my decision to make and not the families, well except Rhia's as well. I wanted to be able to hold her without having to be gentle. I wanted her to be unbreakable, but I wasn't sure anymore. She was pregnant with my child right now, and when she gave birth than she would definitely have to be changed in order for us to be together forever. I sat there next to her lost in my thoughts until Edward kicked me in the shins so that I would respond to her question.

"Be my wife first," I blurted.

"That I can do," she smiled at me.

"What did you see," I asked.

"I saw a battle between Kira, Rosalie, and myself. You and your family were standing behind us in case we needed your help. It was bad. Leah was the only wolf who was not there because she was taking care of our kids," she answered.

"Kids, you mean kid," I said.

"No, I mean kids as in more than one," she said happily.

"But, how," I asked.

"If you haven't noticed before Emmett I'm seven weeks pregnant and I haven't shown anything yet. Bella told me that she was massive at seven weeks," she said.

I looked down at her and my mouth literally fell open.

"Em, if you don't want bats flying in your mouth you might want to close it," she laughed.

I snapped my jaw shut and looked at her again.

"How are we having a pure human child," I asked incredulous.

"I don't know," she said simply.

I pulled her into my lap and she curled up into a ball. Life worked in mysterious ways, but I was happy that it led me to Rhiannon. I ended up having to carry Rhiannon to bed, but I didn't mind. When I laid her on the bed and was about to walk away she grabbed my arm, so I lay next to her and she curled into my side with a huge smile on my face. I stroked her hair as she slept hoping that she was having good dreams. In the middle of the night she jolted awake.

"Rhia you okay," I asked.

She shook her head and dashed towards the bathroom. I was behind her in a millisecond holding her hair back so that she wouldn't get puke on it. When she was done she brushed her teeth and washed her mouth out for good measure. I placed my cold hand to her warm forehead and she sighed in content. It must have felt good to her.

"I'm going to really detest morning sickness," she glowered.

"I'll be right there with you my love," I said with a smile.

I was leading her back to the bed when her eyes drooped and she almost collapsed. She was dead tired. I caught her in my arms and took her back to the bed where she lay next to me.

Rhiannon's Point of View

Over the next couple of weeks I worked with Alice, Kira, Rosalie, Bella, Leah, and Renesmee on my wedding plans. Today was actually the day where I would go and try on wedding dresses. Being two months pregnant was difficult, but surprisingly the morning sickness wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. That alone made me feel better because I hated throwing up when I didn't even have anything in my stomach. Today I was just going to be with Rosalie, Kira, and Bella.

Alice, Leah and Renesmee were a little upset that I wouldn't take them with me for dress shopping, but I promised them a surprise and because Alice couldn't see the surprise since Leah was involved it made it all the better. I knew Alice was a little disgruntled at being kept in the dark, but it was for the best. I got up in the morning and dressed in a button up shirt and a pair of loose fitting jeans so it didn't constrict against my stomach too much.

After I had eaten some breakfast we all piled into Rose's old convertible. We drove out of Washington completely and into Canada. Rose told me that there was a better selection of bridal gowns to choose from and I agreed with her. Forks was too small of a town to carry something worthwhile. I wanted to be able to find the perfect wedding gown.

We went to three large boutiques and I was getting tired. I wanted to go home, but Rose persuaded me to go to one more boutique. It was smaller than the other three that we had been to. I looked around and two dresses caught my eye. One was absolutely beautiful. It was an off the shoulder dress and the front was absolutely gorgeous. It had intricate beading starting on the straps and then going down one side.

The trim of the dress also had precious beading and it came with a matching shawl and purse. The other dress was also off the shoulder. I was absolutely astonished by its beauty. There was no beading on the second one, but it did have an intricate pattern that accented the dress perfectly. I found my size in both of them to try them on. They were about my twelfth or fifteenth dress, but I didn't know or care at the moment. I actually thought that I might have found the perfect dress. The first one I tried on was the one with beautiful bead work. I showed it off to Rosalie and the others and they held their opinions until I tried on the last one.

I went back into the dressing room and put the second one on and when I walked out the gasps of approval told me that this was the dress for me. I looked at myself in the three mirrors on the small pedestal. I was a little shorter than Rosalie, but the dress was very comfortable and it wasn't too tight around my stomach. The other one was a bit too snug. I changed back into my comfortable clothes that I wore to the store and put the beaded dress back on the rack and kept the second one. I was excited. The store kept it reserved for me so I could come back in a week to get fitted for it better. I would have done it that same day but I was utterly exhausted and I wanted to go home.

"Rose can we go home now," I asked trying to stifle a yawn.

"Of course since we accomplished the goal, which was to find the perfect gown," she smiled at me.

When we got home I curled up on the couch and started watching some television. Halfway through one of the shows I was watching I felt my start to droop and I must have fallen asleep. When I woke up I was lying in bed and Emmett was lying next to me.

"Good evening Rhia," he smiled down at me.

"Good evening Emmett," I smiled at him.

"Did you have a fun day with the girls," he asked.

"I did. Was Alice still a little angry with me all day," I asked.

"She was, but she'll get over it," he chuckled at me.

"Oh she'll forgive me when she finds out her surprise," I smiled to myself.

"Will you tell me," he asked.

"Nope, it has to stay a surprise and if you know then she will get wind of it, and I can't have
that," I said mischievously.

He grinned at me and told me to get some more sleep so that I was ready for my planning the next day. I curled into his cold side and drifted off to sleep again with a huge grin on my face as I thought about the wedding of my dreams. It wouldn't exactly be the perfect dream wedding, but if I was to wear the dress that I chose I couldn't have it on a beach, but if I didn't really mind since I would be surrounded by people who loved me and that was all that I cared about at the moment. I unconsciously put a hand on my stomach and I could feel Emmett's on top mine and that told me that he would protect this baby as much as I would.