Broken Hearted on the Mend

Chapter 32

A week had passed since Emmett brought Rhiannon back home to Forks. Rosalie and Kira came home two days after they did and they brought an entourage of guests with them. Rosemarie, or Rose, had explained her situation to the family. They agreed to help her find their new queens as long as they helped them defeat their own enemies. They agreed and Rose and Dimitri started planning with Jacob, Sam, Edward, Carlisle, and Alice. Kira and Rosalie helped with the battle plans as well, but they were concerned as to why Rhiannon had not woken up yet.

Emmett never left her side. He was worried about her and a couple of times Edward and Jasper had to force him to leave so that he would hunt and not starve himself of his own nutrients. Carlisle had hooked her up to a machine that pumped extra blood into her system. It tainted her scent a little, but not enough to make Emmett turn away. He knew that it was necessary for the extra blood because Rhiannon was playing host to a half vampire child. Her stomach continued to grow each day and Emmett was worried that she would not wake up.

"Please wake up baby," he whispered every night into her ear before he closed his eyes to feign sleep.

This night however would be different. Emmett was feigning sleep as usual when his eyes snapped open at the sound of high pitched screaming. He was out of the bed and down the hall to see what was going on when he stopped in his tracks. The screaming was coming from his bedroom. He ran back to the room to see Rhiannon writhing in pain. She was moving all around and he realized what was happening. Blood was coming out of her mouth and spurting all over the bed sheets. He rushed to her side and lifted her head so that she wouldn't choke on the blood.

"CARLISLE," Emmett's loud booming voice echoed through the house.

Rhiannon was rushed into Carlisle's makeshift hospital room. It was done up in his study. Emmett stayed close to Rhiannon's side. Jasper had to leave the house and hang out in Edward and Bella's cottage for the time being. Rose and Dimitri were trying to figure out the commotion and what was going on. Rhiannon continued to scream in agony. Carlisle gave her dose after dose of morphine and it helped ease the pain a little. Rhiannon's screams became mere whimpers.

Carlisle performed the C-section that would initially save Rhiannon's life as well as the baby's life too. The hard shell surrounding the baby was starting to crack, but Carlisle noticed something different about Rhiannon. He was shocked. Emmett was ready with his venom to turn Rhiannon into a vampire once the procedure was complete. Carlisle lifted one child out and then a second one. Emmett's eyes widened when Carlisle lifted a third healthy looking child out of Rhiannon's stomach.

"Now, Emmett, do it now," Carlisle instructed.

Emmett moved with swift speed. He plunged the syringe into Rhiannon's heart and then he started to bite every inch of open skin he could see. He sealed up the wound on her stomach and then continued to transfer his venom into her system.

"Emmett, enough," Carlisle said putting a hand on his shoulder.

Emmett stopped and then breathed deeply.

"She's going to make it," Carlisle said.

Emmett just nodded his head. He took a hold of Rhiannon's hand and kissed it lightly. Carlisle had taken his children out of the room and down the hall. Rosalie, Kira, and Rose were in there helping him clean them up. For three days Emmett stayed by Rhiannon's side and endured the few twitches that she had from the pain. The morphine helped just a little, but not enough to keep her away from the agonizing pain she must be feeling. Rhiannon stirred just a little and Emmett was on high alert. Her eyes blinked a few times before they came into focus and the first thing she saw was Emmett's hovering face.

"Emmett," she whispered.

"It's me baby, you're alright now," he said.

Rhiannon sat up in one swift movement. She felt like something was different, but she couldn't pin point on what it was.

"What's happened to me," she asked quietly.

"I had to change you," Emmett answered.

"The baby," Rhiannon questioned.

"They all survived," Emmett smirked.

"They," Rhiannon questioned.

"Yes, we have three kids. Two girls and one boy," Emmett informed her.

"Three," Rhiannon whispered eyes growing wide.

"Yes three. We were all very shocked as well," Emmett said.

"Can I see them," Rhiannon asked.

"You have to feed first. Our little boy is fully human and our two little girls are half human and half vampire," Emmett replied.

Rhiannon nodded her head and then looked down at herself. She was wearing a black camisole and some sweats and black sneakers. She was quite comfortable and she smiled at Emmett. Emmett smiled back and then took her hand in his. He led her to the window and that's when she stopped.

"What are we doing by the window," Rhiannon asked curious.

"Our kids are downstairs, so we have to take an alternate route out until we get you fed," Emmett explained.

Rhiannon nodded her head in understanding as Emmett opened the window. He helped her up on the ledge and then she jumped before he could say anything. She took off running into the woods before Emmett even made it to the ground. She could hear him laughing about two miles back. Before she knew it she was tackled to the ground. Emmett rolled her over and looked down at her.

"You thought you could get away did you," he grinned.

Rhiannon didn't say anything. Instead she leaned up and kissed him on the lips. She had caught him so off guard that she managed to wiggle away and she took off running again. Rhiannon couldn't help the laughter rolling from her lips as she ran from Emmett. As she was running though she smelt something so sweet and enticing that she had to stop and revel in the smell. Emmett ended up running into her, but she didn't go anywhere.

"Rhiannon, what's wrong," Emmett asked.

Rhiannon ignored him and continued to smell the air. She closed her eyes and breathed in the sweet scent that filled her nose. Emmett realized what she smelled and went to stop her, but Rhiannon had already taken off. Since she was a newborn vampire she was slightly faster than Emmett himself. Emmett cursed under his breath and went after Rhiannon.

About half way towards the sweet smell that Rhiannon was racing towards, she smelled something even sweeter and veered her course in that direction instead. She ran faster than she normally did and when her eyes landed on the wild cat she crouched down and got ready for the attack. She watched the cat's every movement and then pounced. The cat didn't know what hit it either. It tried to fight back once it realized that something was attacking it, but it didn't stand a chance against Rhiannon's strength.

When Emmett finally caught up with Rhiannon he found her hunched over a dead wild cat. He breathed a sigh of relief. Rhiannon stopped drinking and turned to face Emmett at the sound of his sigh. She grinned at him and then continued to eat. She killed a few deer with Emmett and one grizzly bear as well. Emmett admired how fast she took down the grizzly since those were his favorite. When they were done feeding off of the animals they headed back in the direction of the house.

"Rhiannon, what happened," Emmett asked.

"What do you mean," Rhiannon questioned.

"I smelt the human blood, I thought you were running towards that, but then you veered in a different course," Emmett said.

"Oh, I was until I smelt the wild cat. It smelled so much sweeter than human blood I just had to have it," Rhiannon grinned.

"Wait, you're not attracted to human blood," Emmett asked confused.

"I am, but animal blood smells so much sweeter to me. I don't know why, but it does," Rhiannon shrugged as if it was nothing.

Emmett was amazed. He had witnessed something like this with Bella six years ago. He didn't think it would happen again. They continued to walk back in silence until they reached a little river separating them from the house. Rhiannon gave Emmett a coy grin before taking off at a sprint. Emmett laughed loudly and took off after her, but because of her newborn status and the head start that she had she beat him home. Emmett had surprised her though by picking her up and swinging her around. Rhiannon laughed loudly and then when Emmett put her down she turned and kissed him.

Emmett and Rhiannon shared two more kisses before they entered the house together. Emmett was content with what he found out in the forest to let her go through the front door. Besides, their children needed names still. When Rhiannon walked into the living room she smelled the air and figured out where her little boy was. She saw that Rosalie had him in her arms and she looked happy to have a little baby to hold. Rosalie looked up to see Rhiannon headed in her direction and she immediately pulled back with the baby boy. Rhiannon narrowed her eyes at Rosalie and was about to attack when Emmett stepped in front of her.

"Rosalie, give her the baby," Emmett said.

"But, what about the scent," Rosalie asked.

"She can handle it. I witnessed it in the forest. She's only strongly attracted to animal blood," Emmett explained.

Rosalie seemed a little skeptical, but nevertheless handed the little baby boy over to Rhiannon. Rhiannon cradled him in her arms and rocked him gently. The only problem with being a vampire now was that he would have to live off of formula instead of the natural breast milk. She knew that it wouldn't be the same as breast milk, but it would at least give him the nutrients that he needed in order to grow.

"What should we name him," Emmett asked looking down at him.

"How about Adrian Troy Cullen," she asked looking up at him.

"It sounds perfect," he grinned.

She handed Adrian back to Rosalie and then looked around again. Rhiannon then spotted one of my baby girls and was a little surprised to see that she wasn't as small as my baby boy. She looked as if she was growing really fast already.

"It's okay, it's normal," Emmett whispered in her ear.

She nodded her head and Alice handed her the first of the two little girls. Again, Rhiannon was at a loss for what to name her. It took her a little while for her to come up with something. She was still sort of new to this. She wanted to name her something that was different, yet unique at the same time.

"How about Nadia Rachelle Cullen," Rhiannon asked.

"I love it," Emmett grinned.

He kissed Nadia's head and then Rhiannon handed her back to Alice with a warm smile. Her last child that she had to name was being held by Bella. Rhiannon walked towards Bella and held her arms out for her second daughter. Bella handed her to Rhiannon and Rhiannon smiled down at her second most beautiful daughter.

"I'm having a tough time coming up with a name," Rhiannon whispered to herself as she held her daughter in her arms. Rhiannon loved all of her kids, but her second daughter seemed to be difficult to name. She did however see a lot of her mom in her child's eyes.

"I think I want to name you Emma Nicole Cullen, after my mother," Rhiannon smiled at her daughter.

"I like the sound of that," Emmett grinned down at her.

Rhiannon looked up at him and then he leaned down and kissed her. Rhiannon handed her back to Bella and then left the room. She may have been able to handle the smell of human blood, but she was still trying to figure out her abilities so she didn't want to hurt her children. Rhiannon felt her eyes well up as if she was going to cry and then she felt something cool to the touch run down her cheeks.

"Rhiannon, are you alright," Emmett asked her as he caught her at the top of the stairs.

Rhiannon turned around and Emmett's eyes widened in shock.

"Rhiannon, you're crying," Emmett gasped in surprise.

"It's impossible for me to cry, I don't have natural tears anymore," Rhiannon said sounding rather sad.

"Baby, what's wrong," Emmett asked walking closer to her.

"I love my children, but I have this bad feeling that I'm going to hurt them. I don't know why, but I get the feeling that if I'm around them too long, that something bad will happen. I can't let anything happen to them," Rhiannon answered hysterical.

"Baby, you're crying real tears," Emmett said wiping them away and letting her see.

"That's impossible," Rhiannon said.

"No it's not," a different voice cut in.

Rhiannon and Emmett turned to face Kira.

"What do you mean," Rhiannon asked.

"You aren't like the rest of the Cullens Rhiannon and neither is myself or Rosalie ever since I brought her back," Kira answered.

"I don't understand," Rhiannon said furrowing her eyebrows in confusion.

"We need to talk as a whole family and that includes the house guests we have acquired along the way," Kira said.

"I need to change first," Rhiannon said.

She felt dirty and out of place in her camisole, sweats, and sneakers. Kira nodded and let her leave down the hall. Emmett tried to talk, but Rhiannon was already gone when he turned to her. He sighed heavily and then just went downstairs to wait.

Rhiannon was in the room for awhile. She took off her camisole and sweats after taking her sneakers off. She stepped into the shower to freshen up a bit and rinse off all the dirt that she had acquired when she went hunting. When she was done with the shower she got out and dried herself off. She may have wanted to change into a vampire so she could stay with Emmett, but things change drastically.

She felt like she couldn't hold her own kids for very long without hurting them. It saddened her. Rhiannon went to the closet with her towel wrapped around her. She picked out some undergarments and then some dark blue skinny jeans and a blood red blouse. She placed some knee high boots and zipped them up. She felt a little better. She fixed her hair a little before turning her attention to the full length mirror that was placed in the closet.

Rhiannon stared at her reflection for a good moment before she realized the difference between her and Emmett. Her eyes weren't golden like his were when he was done hunting. Instead they were a jade green color, which was the complete opposite of her original ice blue eyes. Rhiannon sighed softly before turning away from the mirror. She had to figure out her new life and why she seemed to be so damn different from everyone else still.

Rhiannon left the room and headed down the stairs. She heard hushed voices, but at the sound of her footsteps they all stopped. She hesitated just a little, but then continued. Her children were down there and she felt like a stranger to them still. With one last deep breath Rhiannon walked into the living room. All eyes were on her and she ignored the stares as she sat down next to Emmett. She turned her gaze to Kira who seemed to be the one with the answers at the moment.

"I'm ready for an explanation now," Rhiannon whispered softly.