Broken Hearted on the Mend

Chapter 4

Emmett's Point of View

Four weeks passed since the small conversation that I had with Rhiannon at lunch. She continued to sit with me and it became such a routine that no one stared at her anymore. I thought maybe she was about to trust me, but one day she grew distant. She wouldn't talk to me. She ignored my questions and acted as if I wasn't there. I was getting annoyed. I called Alice to see if she would tell me something about any of our futures, but she wouldn't. The only thing she said was that I would have to gain her trust first. After the first day of her not talking to me it continued. I noticed a pattern in her clothing and I grew a little suspicious.

She never showed her legs or her arms. The weather wasn't always freezing cold, but when it wasn't raining she always had something covering her arms and legs. She did wear tank tops, but there was always a jacket on top of it. Sometimes she even wore scarves covering her neck. I was worried about her. She seemed so fragile. She asked me once about my eyes and I told her it ran in the family. Sometimes I felt that she didn't believe me entirely. She always had a journal with her and it looked like she was always drawing or writing in it. I wish she would confide in me more. I asked her if she would go bowling with me and to my surprise she agreed with one condition. That she was home by ten p.m. I said it was doable until Alice called my cell phone.

"Hello," I answered.

"Just thought you would like to know, that when you go bowling with Rhiannon you'll get into the game so much that you will lose track of time," she said.

"Are you trying to tell me that we shouldn't go bowling," I asked.

"No, just thought I would give you a warning," she answered.

"Let me talk to Bella please," I said.

"Fine," she grumbled.

"Hey Emmett, how's Rhiannon," Bella asked.

"I don't know. She doesn't talk to me much anymore. I'm afraid that she doesn't like me," I
answered.

"Have you tried cracking jokes," she teased.

"No, I don't think any of my jokes will make her laugh," I replied.

"Aw, Emmett doesn't have any nice jokes to say," she teased.

"Actually I wanted to ask you something," I said.

"Okay, shoot," she answered seriously.

"I wanted to know if you wanted to come out here and maybe try to help me get her to talk," I asked.

"I have to look after Renesmee," she said immediately.

"Bella, it'll only be for maybe a month or two," I pleaded.

"Why not ask Alice to come instead," she wondered.

"I would, but sometimes Alice can be a little annoying with her bubbly attitude," I replied ashamed.

"She's glaring at you through the phone because of that," Bella laughed.

"At least think about it," I asked.

"Okay, but if I come then you have to put up with Renesmee and Edward," she scolded.

"Fine, but you'll have to enroll as a senior in high school," I grinned.

"Does she come to your house at all," she asked.

"No, I've asked her if she wanted to, but she said that her uncle was too strict and wouldn't allow it," I answered.

"Alright, fine. I'll come out there by myself, but Edward is going to be mad at you," she sighed.

"Thank you Bella. You're the best younger sister ever," I grinned again.

"I know and Alice is glaring at you again," Bella said.

"I love you to Alice," I said into the phone.

"Alright she's smiling again," Bella laughed.

"Good and tell her I'll make it up to her," I said.

"Okay, I'll see you soon," Bella replied and hung up.

I was hoping that this would help her to open up a little more. Bella has grown since she had been changed. She became a better liar for one thing, but for the most part she's grown as a person as well. Bella has opened up more and actually allowed us to give her gifts for her birthday, or rather the birthday she has in September. Edward is ecstatic that she's gotten over the gift thing, but he still doesn't buy her anything. All of his gifts are either homemade or hammy-down gifts. I think it's rather cute. My phone rang again and I was actually waiting for it because I figured Edward would want to tell me off for taking his precious wife for a couple of months, but when I answered I was surprised to hear a female voice.

"Emmett, could you pick me up please," she asked.

"I don't mean to sound rude, but who is this," I asked.

"Sorry, it's Rhiannon," she answered.

"Are you alright," I asked getting worried.

"I'm lost in the woods," she said.

"I'm on my way," I said and then hung up.

It wasn't good for her to be wandering the woods especially at night. I got into my Jeep and drove into the woods. I wasn't expecting Bella to come for another few days so I didn't leave a note. I was hoping that Rhiannon was alright. She sounded scared. I used my keen sense of smell and within minutes picked up her unique scent. I parked the Jeep and got out so I could walk. I didn't want to scare her even more. Sometimes it sucked being a vampire because I was always so stealthy, most of the time I loved it though because I got to live for eternity and not have to worry about aging. I figured that in order to not scare
Rhiannon I decided to call out her name.

"Rhiannon, you here," I asked into the darkness.

I loved being able to see so clearly in the dark.

"Rhiannon," I called again.

"Emmett is that you," I heard a whisper.

"Yes, where are you," I called.

"Over here," the whisper came again.

I followed the voice to a small clearing. She was sitting on the ground really dirty as if she was trying to walk around. She didn't have a coat or shoes, but she did have a bag with her. I shrugged out of my jacket and gently draped it over her shoulders. She gripped it tightly, but continued to rock back and forth.

"Rhiannon are you okay," I asked calmly.

She just shook her head. I held my arms open and she crawled into them, but still she rocked back and forth. I picked her up easily and walked back to the Jeep. She didn't protest one bit as I put her into the passenger seat. I was in the driver seat within a few seconds and driving back to the house. I pulled in and killed the engine. I got out and picked her up again and brought her into the house. I was completely surprised to see Edward and Bella were both there waiting patiently for my return.

"Hello Emmett," he said.

"Edward," I nodded my head in response.

I went over to the couch and gently laid her on it. She immediately curled up into a ball and started rocking back and forth. She wouldn't speak, and she wouldn't look at anyone. I looked up to Edward and Bella and motioned them into the kitchen not that she would hear us speaking so low.

"What's wrong with her," Bella asked softly.

"I don't know. She called my cell right after I got off the phone with you. She sounded scared and now she seems to be in hysterics," I answered.

Neither one answered after I explained what happened. I could hear her breathing heavily as if she was trying to slow her breathing down. I was worried about her. I all I could be thankful for at the moment was that it was a Friday night and there was no school tomorrow.

"Edward could you please call Esme and see if she can come here to maybe help," I asked.

"You think that might help," he asked.

"Esme knows how to listen very well," I answered.

"True. Okay, but Alice, Jasper, and Carlisle need to stay there though," he replied.

"I understand that. They will meet Rhiannon when she feels that she would like to meet them," I answered.

"Okay, well what are we going to do about her," Bella asked.

"Can you read her thoughts," I directed towards Edward.

"It's not clear, probably because I'm not attuned to her thoughts as I am yours and the rest of the families, well except Bella's of course," he answered with a small smile.

I listened for her breathing and it seemed to slow down some as if she was calming down. I poked my head around the corner and noticed that she had fallen asleep. Her bag was lying on the floor by the couch. She might be another mind mute to Edward, something she would enjoy if she ever decided to want to know about my secret. She shivered slightly and immediately I had a blanket draped over her. I hoped that she would be okay from now on.

When we had talked before this happened she had told me a little about her uncle and almost immediately I loathed the man. She didn't tell me much, but I could only guess at how horrible of a man he really was. My elbow bumped her side and she cringed a little. I would ask her when she woke up. I turned back towards the kitchen and Edward had relayed that Esme was on her way.

"Hey, Edward do you by any chance have a law degree," I asked curious.

"Yes, why," he asked.

"Well, I have a hunch about something that is going on with Rhiannon and she might need a lawyer, so would you be up for it, if it came to that," I asked.

"Only if she trusts me," he answered bluntly.

"Okay," I said.

Bella wandered over to Rhiannon and gently pushed her hair out of her face and something about her expression confused me.

"Bella are you okay," Edward asked worried.

"What, oh yeah I'm fine," she said putting the hair back into place, but not exactly covering her face.

I watched her all night as Edward and Bella unpacked their things since they would be here for awhile. They would have brought Nessie with them, but then Jacob would have come and I don't think that I could handle Jacob at the moment. I paced back and forth all night waiting for her to wake up and hopefully able to tell me what happened to her.

Seven hours ago in Forks

Bella's Point of View

"Edward, Emmett wants me to go to Salem to try and help him with that new girl at his school," I said.

"Not without me you don't," he replied sharply.

"Edward, nothing is going to happen to me. Besides who's going to take care of Renesmee if we're both gone," I asked.

"Esme or Alice will love to take care of her, or your father Charlie," he said.

"I can't put her on Charlie like that. Besides she's not very fond of human food," I answered.

"She'll understand," he said.

"What if we brought her with us," I asked.

"We could do that, but then Jacob would want to come, and I don't think forcing a werewolf on a girl who might not be able to cope with having a vampire as a friend would be such a good idea," he answered simply.

"Okay, fine bad idea," I grumbled.

Things between Jacob and I were better since he imprinted on my daughter, but not all better. The treaty between the Cullens and the Quileute Tribe was no longer in effect because Sam wouldn't dare harm a pack's soul mate or harm a pack's soul mate's family for that matter. Everyone had been upset when Rosalie had been killed, especially me since we had finally gotten along when I had been pregnant with Renesmee. I was hoping to have more time to actually get to know her better than before. None of us still don't understand why Felix and Demetri killed her the way they did. She did put up a hell of a fight, but in the end she was no match. Emmett was hurt the most because they had been together for so long.

Now that he had found a friend with this new girl at his school it got me thinking that maybe Rosalie's 'passing' was meant to be so he could find his true soul mate. I wasn't too sure though. There were still many pictures of Rosalie around the house because none of us wanted to forget her. Renesmee had cried when Rosalie had 'died' because while I couldn't see her when I was first changed Rosalie had been there for her and fed her. They had made a real connection even though everyone who came into contact with my daughter was immediately wrapped around her little fingers. I continued to pack my clothes that I would need for this trip. My Ferrari would be able to get me there faster than running would so I figured that I would take that.

"Bella please let me go with you. I might even be able to help Emmett since I can read minds and all," Edward said desperately.

"Fine, but don't get into any fights with Emmett alright and I guess I'll let you drive then because we might get there faster if you do," I said.

I was still uneasy about driving at fast speeds and Edward knew that so I wasn't surprised when I heard him give a small chuckle.

"Mom, can't I go with you and daddy to see Uncle Emmett," my daughter's voice came from our bedroom door.

"No sweetie. This is a trip your daddy and I need to take alone. I promise though that I will give Uncle Emmett a big hug for you," I answered.

"Okay," she said and walked off.

I was still amazed that even at the age of ten she was so mature. It was a little unsettling at first when I thought that maybe she would die at the young age of fifteen or seven, but that had been confirmed that she wouldn’t and I was excited for that. I felt Edward's arms go around my waist as he rested his chin on my shoulder.

"Have I told you how much I love you," he whispered in my ear.

I moved around to face him and shook my head and before he could say anything I kissed him passionately on his lips, which he returned with full force. I pulled away before it got too serious so I could finish packing. Edward threw some clothes in his own suitcase and the next thing I knew we were on the road headed towards Massachusetts. As I figured we arrived within six hours because of the speed that Edward drove at. A trip that would normally take a week and a half only took us six hours. Edward knew where the house that Emmett was staying in anyway so that was another reason why I had let him drive instead of myself. Knowing me I would have gotten lost, which would have been pitiful as a vampire.

When Edward pulled into the driveway of the house that Emmett was staying in his Jeep was nowhere in sight. Edward and I brought in our suitcases and put them up in our room that we would be using for the next few months. I wasn't sure how long we would be here, but I packed for at least three months and Edward did the same. We both heard the Jeep pull in at the same time and we were downstairs standing behind the couch within a millisecond.

The door opened and Emmett walked in with a girl in his arms. She looked horrible, but not horrible in the sense that she was ugly, but horrible that she was in a lot of pain and very distraught. She had a bag with her and it looked like the bag was full of clothes and something else, but I couldn't pin point it. Edward wasn't going to be enrolling in high school with me and I was a little disappointed, but I knew I would live. Edward greeted Emmett and Emmett returned the greeting before laying the distraught girl on the couch.

After his arms left her body she immediately curled up into a ball and started rocking back and forth as if she was trying to rid something from her mind. I felt for her because I could remember clearly how I felt when Edward had left me to try and protect me when I was still human. I wanted to talk to her and see if I could maybe help her talk, but Emmett motioned for both of us to follow him into the kitchen. We followed him and when we were all in there we started talking at a mile a minute.

"What happened to her," I asked.

"I don't know. She called my cell right after I got off the phone with you. She sounded scared and now she seems to be in hysterics," Emmett answered truthfully.

I looked over to Edward who had a confused look on his face. I didn't ask him what was wrong. My only thought was that I was the wrong person to come here. I thought that Esme should have been the one to come instead of me, but knowing Emmett he wanted someone who could attend school with him and see if she would talk there.

"Edward, do you think Esme would come out here if you asked her to," he suddenly asked as if he had been thinking the same thing I was.

"Do you think that would help," he wondered seriously.

"I think so because Esme knows how to listen before judging people. She has a caring personality and I think that's what Rhiannon needs," Emmett answered.

"Alice, Jasper, and Carlisle won't be able to come," he countered.

"I understand that. I don't want to bombard her with the entire family right away. When she wants to meet the rest of them she will ask and then we will all move back to Forks," he answered.

Edward was on the phone in a second and within another five seconds was off again. Esme would take the next flight out here. I was happy that I would get to spend some time with Esme while on 'vacation'. I loved Esme and like Emmett said she was a loving and caring person even for a vampire. I looked back at Edward and he had that same confused expression as before.

"What are we going to do about her now," I asked.

"Well all we can do is wait for her to stop the hysterics and start talking," Edward answered as if he didn't particularly care. I shot him a glare and he immediately looked guilty.

"Edward can you read her thoughts," Emmett asked.

"It's not too clear. I can hear some things, but it's like she's trying to block everyone out. It could be because I'm not as attuned to her as I am the entire family, well of course excluding Bella," he answered.

I still couldn't help but smile at that. I was the only one out of the entire Cullens that was able to block out Edward from reading my thoughts. My special gift was that I was a shield and I only let him in my mind when I really wanted him to be there. I can still remember the shock he had when he first caught a glimpse of my mind. It still made me laugh. We all headed back into the living room to find Rhiannon asleep. She shivered a little and Emmett quickly had a blanket over her. He went back to stand by Edward to discuss some more things.

I, on the other hand, went over to her to see if maybe there was something I could do to help her. I noticed her hair was covering her face so I gently moved it out of the way. When I picked up two thick strands from her neck I noticed a large red handprint there as if someone had tried to choke her. I quickly put the hair back down to cover it, but I made sure that it wasn't covering her actual face, which was very lovely even though it was a little blotchy from her hysterics. Something must have attracted Edward's attention to me because he had asked me if I was alright. I told him that I was. My mission now was to find out the truth that Rhiannon was keeping from everyone. I looked down at her bag once and then back up at Edward and Emmett.

I heard Emmett ask Edward if he had a law degree. Edward's answer was yes, but he wanted to know why. Emmett answered that he had a theory or a hunch that Rhiannon might need a lawyer in the near future for something that she hadn't told yet. I couldn't agree more. I now felt the need that this girl was going to be a special one; one who was also going to need a lot of protection, but not from other vampires like I did, but from humans.